Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Rehabilitation, training and education agencies (government and other, e.g. Red Cross Society) and facilities

TGM

Advanced apologies if this is the wrong section, or I've overlooked a previous post.

Can anyone point me in the direction of a useful list(ing) of the various rehabilitation, training and education agencies (government and other, e.g. Red Cross Society) and facilities made available to discharged British soldiers (UK).

I've come across various listings in Reveille (1918 &1919) and War Cabinet report for 1917 (only accessible online copy I've come across(Correction - just accessed 1918)), but wondered whether there is a more useful list elsewhere?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by TGM

I can't help with a list, but the

Enham Trust

north of Andover, started helping soldiers in 1919, and is now a village devoted to helping people with disabilities.

Letter to The Spectator

which suggests similar communities might have been planned - though a very quick Google didn't produce anything else about the Village Centres Council.

Moonraker

TGM

Deborah Cohen's The War Come Home: Disabled Veterans in Britain and Germany 1914-1939 . 00covers some of this ground. Although there are no lists, it covers some of the establishments you would be interested in. It is also an excellent account of how the two counties differed in their approach to the subject. Published  2001. ISBN 0-520-22008-0.

A couple of examples :

http://www.bbc.co.uk/southyorkshire/content/articles/2008/11/03/painted_fabrics_limited_feature.shtml

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ashtead_potters

TR

Edited by Terry_Reeves

1 hour ago, Moonraker said:

I can't help with a list, but the

Enham Trust

north of Andover, started helping soldiers in 1919, and is now a village devoted to helping people with disabilities.

Letter to The Spectator

which suggests similar communities might have been planned - though a very quick Google didn't produce anything else about the Village Centres Council.

Moonraker

Thank you.

I note Village Centres are mentioned by F.R. Fox in Reveille Feb 1919 too. The Spectator article provides  more background on Mr. Fox too who penned a number of articles in and letters to The Lancet ...

1 hour ago, Terry_Reeves said:

TGM

Deborah Cohen's The War Come Home: Disabled Veterans in Britain and Germany 1914-1939 . 00covers some of this ground. Although there are no lists, it covers some of the establishments you would be interested in. It is also an excellent account of how the two counties differed in their approach to the subject. Published  2001. ISBN 0-520-22008-0.

TR

Thank you.

Edited by TGM