Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

War Diary 1/4th R.Sussex 1918

clive_hughes

Hi,

I'm trying to view the war diary of the 1/4th Battalion Royal Sussex Regiment for September 1918.  They were with 101st Brigade, 34th Division after arriving from Palestine in May 1918..  I have access to Ancestry, but I can't find this unit in the France, Belgium & Germany war diaries.  I've tried various combinations of words, browse menu etc. - no sign of it.

Was it digitised, or is it just me (or the website)?  If some kind soul can locate this, perhaps they might paste the link, please?

The piece number is WO 95/2458, and covers the unit June 1918 - July 1919.  

Many thanks,

Clive

On the search box for the diaries put 2458 in the Keyword area and nothing else (too much info confuses the system!).  That brings up the whole 101 Brigade of which 4 Sussex is a part.  Click on any one hit and riffle through!

Starts at image 355

Max

Edited by MaxD
addition

Hi Graeme,

The man I'm researching was killed on 28 September, presumably 4th Battle of Ypres.  He was one of a group of about 30 who transferred across from 4th Border Regt.

Clive

Try this link for Royal Sussex War Diaries

http://www2.westsussex.gov.uk/learning-resources/LR/learning/learning_resources/great_war_west_sussex_1914-18/the_royal_sussex_regiment/battalion_war_diaries.html

sholud take you to where Graham was trying to go, slightly different web address.

Mandy

Max,

tried just now and you're quite right!  Beats me why I couldn't raise it before: the drop-down browse menu refuses to recognise any Sussex unit in 34 Div, Tried just by regiment and got loads of entries for everything except 4th Battn.  Thanks,

Clive 

3 minutes ago, mandy hall said:

Try this link for Royal Sussex War Diaries

http://www2.westsussex.gov.uk/learning-resources/LR/learning/learning_resources/great_war_west_sussex_1914-18/the_royal_sussex_regiment/battalion_war_diaries.html

sholud take you to where Graham was trying to go, slightly different web address.

Mandy

Hi Mandy, 

That one seems to work as well, thanks for your input.

Clive