Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Loss of 97 Sqn HP O/400 D8304

Skyraider

It   is 100 years ago tonight  that HP O/400 D8304 took off from   Xaffévillers  (Voges)  and crash landed at Pechelbronn behind enemy lines, all the crew survived to become  POW's

Last year I visited the area and with the help of the local people I was able to locate  the crash site and photos of the crashed aeroplane and also newspaper reports.

I am in the process of putting together  an account of the incident.

Regards Peter.

Thanks for posting.  I look forward to hearing your account!

Good luck old bean,

Caleb

• 3 months later...

My visit to Xaffévillers Aerodrome was helped very much by the Maire of the commune, he took me to the site and pointed out the items of interest, however there is Nothing left to indicate that that it was an Aerodrome in WW1 and WW2 however the boundarys  are still as they were then.  From there  I visited Pechelbronn the site of the forced landing of HP D8304. Pechelbronn was at the time an important centre of oïl production, infact the damage to the front cockpit of D8304 was caused by the tripod poles of a drilling installation (see photos of poles lying on the ground in front of the aircraft.  The Musée Français du Pétrole were most helpful and pleased to include my complete file in their archives and bibliothèque.  I also visited Charmes Military Cemetery where there are many graves of airmen from 97, 100, and 215 sqns, I took the Opportunity of photographing most of the gaves. Regards Peter.                             On the night night of the 22nd/23rd August 1918 Handley Page  O/400 D8304 of 97 Sqadron Royal Air Force Piloted by Captain Stanley Graham Gilmour  with Lt Goeorge Ernest Rochester (Observer) and Sgt John Walker Chalmers (Gunlayer/Observer) left Xaffévillers Aerodrome (Voges) together with other members of the Squadron on a bombing mission to Herzing Railway and Volspersweiler Aerodrome, however the return Journey to Xafféviiers was way of cause  being South East instead of South West. Sgt. Chalmers told his daughter many years later that  they were lost.  At the crash site (Pechelbronn) the bombay was found to be empty indicating they may have reached the target area before the return Journey. Skyraider.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  English Prisoners    (taken from HP O/400 D8304.

On the night of the 22nd/23rd August 1918 an Engish twin engined bomber appeared coming from Niederbronn and steering in the direction of the Rhine. Machine gun fire from Gintersloch received no response however the brief and effective fire obliged the aircraft to carry out a forced landing. A flare was fired  which lit up the area of Diechmatten in preparation for a forced landing. After a sharp turn in the direction of Willenbach the aircraft landed at 2.30hrs 500mtrs to the west of oïl well No 2 with out very much damage, the right upper wing edge  having contacted a cherry tree and the cockpit a pumping tripod. The soldiers and gunners from the anti-aircraft battery arrived rapidly to arrest the crew of the aircraft. A Captain a Lieutenant and a Sergeant  from the aircraft surrendered but appeared happy with their succesful forced landing although not knowing of their fate. The prisoners were placed Under guard waiting for their transfer to Molsheim. The bomb-bay was found empty, a flare  and five machine guns were recuperated. The same afternoon a team of air mechanics from Haguenau commenced to strip down the aircraft and three days later a lorry from Haguenau took away the fuselage less the wings.

Translated from a French translation of the original German report.      Skyraider.

Xaffévillers:  Permission was given to use the the photos and prints by the Maire of Xaffévillers.

Pechelbronn:  Permission to use the photos and reports by  " Collection Musée Français du Pétrole/Merkwiller-Pechelbronn"

Regards  Peter.

IMG_20160927_152632.jpg

IMG_20160927_152506.jpg

001.jpg

002.jpg

003.jpg

Plan of D8304 flight path.jpeg

• 2 months later...

M. André Clement, the Mayor of Xaffévillers and his wife also welcomed us--and we had a memorable visit to the airfield that my relative had taken off from 100 years earlier--to the day.  Poignant memories of the pilot and his crew, who were not to return that night from a mission to Frescaty Aerodrome in HP C9732.  You'll find maps of Xaffévillers (and other WWI contemporaneous info) in the FREE eBook Handley Page O/400 Night Bomber Pilot--go to Books2Read/NightBomberPilot    Let me know if you have any WWI photos of personnel at Xaffévillers Aerodrome--I am trying to track down ones of any squadron in Xaffévillers in 1918--and 215 Squadron in particular.

• 1 year later...

Hi Garrie215

My Grandfather was an aerial gunlayer in 215sqn and i have recently been trying to piece together what he did and where. I came across this post and have attached a sqn photo if it helps.

RFC.JPG

Edited by Admad
Misspelling

G'day Admad,

Welcome to the forum! 

Do you know when and where the photo was taken at all?  I believe Garrie215 is looking for photos taken at Xaffevillers aerodrome in particular.

Cheerio,

Caleb

• 4 months later...
59 minutes ago, Admad said:

Hi Caleb sorry for long delay in replying. As far as I know we think it was taken in France, but no exact details. More details are he joined the R.N.A.S on 11 feb 1918, then transferred to R.N.A.S 15 sqn on 29 mar 1918, which then became 215 sqn RAF in April 1918,( a gap in details), transfered from "Base detail" to Rein Park on 22 feb 1919.

What a super post, Admad!  Thank you for the 215 Squadron photo.  I have since visited Xaffevillers and Frescaty Aerodrome near Metz where my great uncle died.  Even though we published our book last year Handley Page O/400 Night Bomber Pilot, I have been researching as much as I can find about 215 Squadron in 1918.  We have donated all the print copies of the book to museums, Western Front Associations, Souviens Francais etc. and the eBook is free on Books2Read/Night Bomber Pilot.  I am not sure if your grandfather flew as gunlayer with my great uncle 2/Lt ACG Fowler.  There's a table in the book which lists his crew on his 21 flights.  Before Covid lockdown I spent some days at the National Archives, Kew, researching more about 215 Squadron--thinking I would write another book, if I got enough material.  There are Annals of 100 Sqn, and lots about 99, 216, 207 and other squadrons but no squadron history of 215 Squadron in WW1.  I would love to use your photograph if I cite the source and you give permission.  I am wondering if you have any other pics from 1918 in France that you could share or know about his missions or names of other squadron members, etc.

I cannot thank you enough for uploading your photograph and what is has meant to me--although I don't think my great uncle is on it.

Hi Garrie215

Glad to hear its been of some help. Yes you can use the photograph, it might mean that others recognise someone especially the 3 officers at the front. I don't have any further photos. He never talked about what he saw and did. But the family used to live in Birmingham and after his experiences in WW1 he move the family into the countryside, he told my dad that the next war would be fought in the air. There's only one story that I remember. When he got to France his first job was to help bury his predecessor, who had fallen through the lower fuselage opening ( where the d ring machine gun mount allows for straffing). Thanks for your kind words.

I have a couple of puzzles to solve. I have a postcard wishing Grandad a Happy Christmas from a family in Jalhay near to Liege dated Dec 1918. What was he doing in that area. And they seem to know him well. Also it says on his AIR records that his casualty records were destroyed, how was he injured? 

Again, many thanks for sharing the 215 Squadron photograph.  If you also able to share your grandfather’s name, rank, etc., I can check if he flew with my great uncle, or if I have any other information about him as I have added significantly to the list of 215 Squadron personnel who were listed in the HP O/400 Night Bomber Pilot book (and free eBook, see above).  I, too, am hoping others might see the photo on this blog and share their stories. 

Also, if anyone else knows of other 215 Squadron personnel in 1918, please let me know.

In memory of 2/Lt ACG Fowler, 2/Lt CC Eaves and 2/Lt JS Ferguson; the crew of HP 9732