Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

michaeldr

Has anyone done any research on this unit: No.24 Casualty Clearing Station?

I'm interested in its time time on Lemnos when I believe it acted as a Convalescent Depot on the eastern side of Mudros Harbour

(seen on this sketch map near the community of Mudros - https://www.strongspace.com/pacific/public/TTL/mapdata/Lemnos-A.G.Butler-p334.png )

The following is from the Medical History of the War – Vol.IV: Operations on the Gallipoli Peninsula

p.40

The development of the medical services on shore at Mudros progressed more satisfactorily than those at sea. New sites for hospitals were taken up on the western shore of Mudros Harbour, and the hospital, accommodation on the island was greatly increased. At Mudros East the two British (Nos.15 and 16) and the two Australian (Nos.1 & 2*) Stationary Hospitals, No.24 CCS and No.5 Base Depot of Medical Stores, had been opened since the end of May and beginning of June.

(* Australian Stat. Hosp. No.2 was later transferred to the Western side of Mudros Harbour

and Australian Stat. Hosp. No.1 transferred from Mudros to Anzac in November1915)

p.41

The hospital accommodation at Mudros East was in three stationary hospitals together with one casualty clearing station as a convalescent depot

(my emphasis)

It would be useful to know the dates when it was set up on this site and when it closed

Thanks for your interest and any help with this

Michael

Very grateful TEW,

thanks

Michael

edit to add for the record

“Between the 25th and 29th May three more casualty clearing stations, Nos. 24, 25 and 26 arrived at Mudros from England. They were employed for a time in staffing the mine sweepers and for temporary duty on shore on the Peninsula, but all three were landed at Mudros between the 20th and 22nd June. No. 24 CCS formed a large convalescent depot there till the end of the campaign.”

Edited by michaeldr

Hi Michael

The 24th CCS War Diary has:

22nd 23rd & 24th May

At sea arrived Lemnos morning of 24th

25th May

Unloading equipment

26th May

Landed at Australian Pier MUDROS. Camp pitched

7th July

Sick transferred to Lowland CCS. Received orders to form convalescent camp and draw equipment up to 1000 cases.

8th July

New camp ground found unsuitable for the purpose intended: ie convalescent depot. DDMS interviewed and a new site selection some two miles distant from Mudros.

9th July

Camp being laid out and equipment being moved.

10th July

Pitching camp and transferring equipment.

11th July

Still preparing camp. Officers moved into camp.

12th July

One section of camp completed capable of accommodating 500 but owing to paucity of equipment at the ordnance the maximum number we can deal with at present is 300. The question has been referred to the DD of MS. Lieutenant Steinberg proceeded to No.15 Stationary Hospital to be attached to that unit.

13th July

Received first batch of convalescents today. LH F Amb 17, RND 13.

Hope that helps.

Kind regards

Alan

Sorry Michael you also asked when it closed. The relevant parts of the same diary has:

14th Jan 1916

136 Men in camp. 32 to Class A. Telephone message received from ADMS to be ready to embark on Keldonan Castle. [sic]

17th Jan

98 men in camp; 89 transferred to base; 9 to Class A. Rev. Cole Hamilton C of E embarked on Mauritania. Rev. Humphrey rejoined from Mauritania. Sergeant [?] embarked on Mauritania. Privates Nicholson and Omerod transferred to base.

18th Jan

Commenced transport of equipment to lighter at Australian Pier. Rev Bidwood C of E ordered to 18th Stationary Hospital.

19th Jan

Remaining cases discharged. Arrived on Keldonan Castle at 5pm. Rev. Garnier C of E attached. Strength of unit 11 Officers, 113 other ranks.

20th Jan

All equipment on board at 1.30pm

21st Jan

Left Mudros at 3.10pm. Unit allotted boat stations.

23rd Jan

Distance travelled since 12 noon yesterday, 297 miles. Entered Alexandria harbour 9am.

Apologies in advance for any transcription errors. The Reverend Bidwood on 18th might be Bedwood, there is no dot to the ‘i’.

Kind regards

Alan

On 22/08/2018 at 12:32, michaeldr said:

At Mudros East the two British (Nos.15 and 16) and the two Australian (Nos.1 & 2*) Stationary Hospitals, No.24 CCS and No.5 Base Depot of Medical Stores, had been opened since the end of May and beginning of June.

Probably a very basic question, but nevertheless I have to ask:

as No.24 CCS was the only Convalescent Depot near four Stationary Hospitals (2 British & 2 Australians)

is it safe to assume that they handled all nationalities?

Edit to note: On more careful reading, I think that Alan has already answered this question - see his post No.4

13th July Received first batch of convalescents today. LH F Amb 17, RND 13.

Edited by michaeldr

Hi Michael

The War Diary mainly gives the total numbers for those in the camp, transfers, admissions, discharges etc., on a daily basis and not from where they were received. A couple of British units are mentioned, but for inoculations, and at the beginning of August a limited number of transfers to 1st Australian Stationary Hospital take place.

Kind regards

Alan

Just had a quick read through the Convalescent Depot War Diary, Mudros West, (52nd Lowland CCS) and similarly total figures are given but not where the patients came from. Diary is however a bit more interesting than the 24th CCS.

Alan

Edited by alantwo
Spelling

• 1 year later...

If it's of any use I'm currently researching an Australian - William Alexander Meldrum no 1778, A.I.F., I had actually researched Alexander John Fowlie, both 13th A.I.F. and found out that the bullet which killed Fowlie with a shot to the head continued on its journey and hit Meldrum in the shoulder on the 22 August 1915.  He was taken to 3/Canada Stat Hospital on 22/8/15 and then on 26/8/15 went to No 52 Lowland CCS and then later to No.3 Aust. Gen Hospital, Lemnos where he arrived there on 28/9/15 and left 7/10/15 to L.C.D. although I haven't worked out what L.C.D. is yet.

Lemnos Command Depot?

TEW

Lemnos Convalescent Depot seems likely as well.

Scott

7 hours ago, Super Trooper said:

He was taken to 3/Canada Stat Hospital on 22/8/15 and then on 26/8/15 went to No 52 Lowland CCS and then later to No.3 Aust. Gen Hospital, Lemnos where he arrived there on 28/9/15 and left 7/10/15 to L.C.D.

You will find details regarding the Lemnos medical facilities listed here https://throughtheselines.com.au/research/lemnos-island including those mentioned above

You will also note that some of those listed, later converted to Convalescent Depots (e.g. 24 CCS & 52 CCS) and in addition the rest camp at Sarpi became a CD

However it is not clear to me which one might have been referred to as LCD

16 hours ago, alantwo said:

Just a thought, but could LCD be Lowland Convalescent Depot?

6 hours ago, Super Trooper said:

now believe that it is Lowland Convalescent Depot.

Well done Alan

I think that page 48 probably clinches it 

see the bottom line

1058274269_LowlandConval.jpg.8dbbdfbf451337329efdf1541d590997.jpg