Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

potters bar zeppilin - only civilian castuality

trenchwalker

hi all

just doing a bit of research for a locl history peace about the potters bar zeppilin.

after a quick bit of research at the pro

i have found there to be one civilian castuality catherine bouette who had a cut to her left hand due to falling glass

she was 16 in october 1916 but i cant find her on the census or bdm. any ideas

also a horse dies but we cant find that.

mart

Guest Pete Wood

Hello Trenchie

This lady was injured when L31 (commanded by Mathy) dropped 30 HE and 26 incendiaries on Cheshunt. The bombs caused extensive damage to four houses, and slightly damaged 300 more, as well as breaking a great many glass-houses covering an area of 6.5 acres.

Five bombs fell on the recreation ground, with one being very large and weighing 300 Kg (660 lbs).

If you drive along the A10, you can still see a lot of these glass-houses; mainly used for growing mushrooms.

As you say, just one woman was injured - though, until now, I did not have the name of this woman.

Please can you write down where you found this information at the PRO....?? Do you know which file you saw it in...??

As I am sure you are aware, the L31 was then caught in the searchlights (at Waltham) and the guns started firing at the airship. She was then attacked by Lt W Tempest and the Zeppelin crashed in flames, hitting the ground at 11.54pm.

I have a small map of the actual crash site. Contact me off forum if you want a copy.

:)

also a horse dies but we cant find that.

Hi Trench

What was your source for the horse's death?

Newspaper? Word of mouth?

pro i can actually remember it was one of those time filling doucments

24 He dropped

1 uxb rowland farm chesunt owned by mr turner

26 incendrys

347 houses damaged 4 serious a number of glass house detroyed

a bay pony owned by mr proon found spread eagle cut legs by bomb at recration ground.

Guest Pete Wood

Martin, so our information is a fairly close match. My info for the above, by the way, comes mainly from the GHQ Home report.

Your info sounds even more detailed, and local. Can you remember if it was a Police report....??

It could help me track down the file if you can remember what search terms you used when you were looking for information. Did you type "Potters Bar" for example on the PRO search engine....??

thats the on sorry cant read my own writing yes now i remembert its the police report.

i have found there to be one civilian castuality catherine bouette who had a cut to her left hand due to falling glass

she was 16 in october 1916 but i cant find her on the census or bdm. any ideas

1901 Census - Sutton, Surrey - 5 Manor Parade.

There are 2 "Bouette" families here ...

Ade (or Ada) Bouette - wife - married - age 22 Born Sussex, Worthing

Clara K O Bouette - dau age 6m Born Sutton, Surrey

also..

Frank Bouette head - married - age 24 - Harness maker - born Sutton, Surrey

Annie Bouette - wife - married - age 27 born West Chilton, Berks

Frances M Bouette - daughter - age 1 - born Sutton, Surrey

Birth reference at GRO

Dec 1900 Clara Kathleen D Bouette - Epsom 2a 10

Hi Pete,

Do you happen to know the addresses of the houses in Cheshunt that were damaged,my inlaws live in Crossbrook St,their house is nearly 200 years old,so it could quite easily have been one that was damaged.

By the way Pete,did you get a chance to look up the location of the Enfield raids ref my post the other day.

Regards.

Stu

Guest Pete Wood

You should be able to match up this map with a modern one, using main roads and the railway lines etc. Top left is Goffs Oak, and bottom is Edmonton.

Black circles are HE bombs. White circles are unexploded HE bombs.

post-8-1105630359.jpg

Guest Pete Wood

This is the Cheshunt raid, which Martin is looking at.

Pooles farm is to the left, and you can also see the recreation ground.

Houses are top right.

post-8-1105630857.jpg

Hi Pete,

Thanks for posting the map of the Enfield raids.

From what I understand,aerial navigation was pretty poor in those days,and yet if it was the intended target,they appear to have got quite close to the RSA factory at Enfield Lock.

I have a 93 year old Grandmother who lived around the Enfield Wash area during the war,I know she was only very young at the time,but next time I speak to her I'll ask her if she knows anything about any of the raids.

Regards.

Stu