Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Conscription lists, what were they based on?

dravin

Apologies if this has been asked before but I couldn't find it

Regarding conscription in 1916, what were the candidates names taken from?

I presume they did not have to volunteer the information, so how was the list of potential recruits drawn up?

Birth registers? census ?  I know it was age based 18 to 41 but how was that worked out

I gather they had three choices, enlist immediately, attest under the Derby scheme or be deemed to be enlisted on 2nd March 1916

If so on what data was the deemed to be enlisted based ?

3 minutes ago, dravin said:

Apologies if this has been asked before but I couldn't find it

Regarding conscription in 1916, what were the candidates names taken from?

I presume they did not have to volunteer the information, so how was the list of potential recruits drawn up?

Birth registers? census ?  I know it was age based 18 to 41 but how was that worked out

I gather they had three choices, enlist immediately, attest under the Derby scheme or be deemed to be enlisted on 2nd March 1916

If so on what data was the deemed to be enlisted based ?

Seeded from the National Registration Act and then updated as required.

For a basic look - https://derbyscheme.wordpress.com/2013/01/19/national-registration-act-1915/

(I need to go back and update it all at some point.)

Craig

Edited by ss002d6252

Many thanks Craig

Just what I was looking for

I am annoyed with myself as I know I have read that previously, but just couldn't find it

Clearly not lo0oking in the right place ;-)

Many thanks

As far as I know the paperwork, other than perhaps samples, does not remain. I hope however that some archives have retained some of their local records.

Craig

An act of parliament empowered the Local Government Board to compile the register. When the completed forms were returned to the LGB the details o of men of military age were transferred to a pink form,  a black star on the form marking men who were employed in essential work

The Ministry of Health Act 1919 brought about the abolishment of the LGB and its duties were transferred to the new ministry. At this stage there was a clear out of much of the old paperwork which was destroyed.  As it happens I have (somewhere) a couple of the registration forms - one for a man and one for a woman -  issued under the auspices of Hinkley RDC in Leicestershire along with other papers relating to the National Registration Act which I bought from a dealer  some 25 years ago now.

TR

Edited by Terry_Reeves

Thanks for the additional information Terry very useful

As I went to school in Hinckley and was born about ten miles away, I know some who would be very interested to know they exist

Any names? or is that asking to much

2 minutes ago, Terry_Reeves said:

No, afraid not. They are blank forms. 

TR

Ah shucks, but thank you for the speedy reply

Much appreciated

One question raised by the OP was not answered in the cited link, viz the date when men of military age not excepted or exempted were deemed to be enlisted/ That date was 2 March 1916. Call-up took the form of recalling a man from the Army Reserve to which he had been nominally transferred.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Admin
On 21/08/2018 at 21:40, dravin said:

Thanks for the additional information Terry very useful

As I went to school in Hinckley and was born about ten miles away, I know some who would be very interested to know they exist

Any names? or is that asking to much

A Google images search reveals a number of examples of Registration cards

e.g. https://saffronwaldentownlibrary.wordpress.com/2014/07/08/more-information-on-the-national-registration-cards/

More difficult to find examples of the registers for the reason cited above.

Ken

Edited by kenf48

5 minutes ago, kenf48 said:

A Google images search reveals a number of examples of Registration cards

e.g. https://saffronwaldentownlibrary.wordpress.com/2014/07/08/more-information-on-the-national-registration-cards/

More difficult to find examples of the registers for the reason cited above.

Ken

Thanks for that Ken

The interest in this case was if the cards were named, as they were said to be of Hinckley Leicestershire, but sadly not it turned out

Thanks for posting the link though

Cheers

Edited by dravin