Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Translate from German Red Cross document

Perth Digger

Would anyone please be able to translate this document from the Red Cross website? I am told that it is in Sutterlin German.

Thanks

Mike

C H Evans Red Cross POW document in German.jpg

Brügge, den 16.2.15.

an das Rote Kreuz

Genf

Auf das Schreiben vom 13.1.15 wird erwidert daß die Nachforschungen nach dem Verbleib des englischen Leutnant Charles H. Evans der am 26.10.14 verwundet worden sein soll, ergebnislos geblieben sind. Im Übrigen existiert eine Ortschaft Ruisseler in Belgien nicht.

Es wird anheimgegeven, sich an das Zentral-Nachweise-Bureau des Preußischen Kriegsministeriums in Berlin zu wenden, woselbst Nachrichten über Kriegsgefangene gesammelt werden.

Der Militär-Gouverneur

von Kramsta

Generalleutnant

Edited by AOK4

Thanks for transliterating (?) it, AOK4. I think I get the gist; no record of him. But if an exact translation can be got, I'd be grateful.

Mike

Brugge 16.2.15

To The Red Cross, Geneva

In answer to the communication of 13.1.15 regarding the whereabouts of the english Lt Charles H Evans, who was reportedly wounded on 24.10.14, our investigations have proved unsuccessful. There is incidentally no town in Belgium by the name of Ruisselier

It is suggested that contact is made with the Central Verification Office of the Prussian Ministry of War in Berlin which collates news regarding PoWs.

The Military Govenor

von Kramsta

Generalleutnant

Thank you very much, Charlie. Much appreciated (and AOK4 too).

Mike

I think they informed about Ruisseler, which the German replying to the letter didn't know, but this should probably be Roeselare?

Is there any more info about Lt. Evans?

BTW: the handwriting is officially called current, Sütterlin as such was only introduced from 1915 on as a standard of the different current handwritings in use until then.

I've got an earlier thread about Evans on this site. 

https://www.greatwarforum.org/topic/262540-2nd-lt-c-h-evans-2nd-border-regiment/?tab=comments#comment-2660526

One of my great regrets is that, having to stay at school for a third year in the 6th Form after A Levels and being expected to learn German in that year, I sloped off and played rugby and cricket instead.

Mike

So Ruisseler is a misspelling of Kruiseke...