Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Medical Electrical Treatment Mission

AnnB

Hello all

I am wondering if anyone can tell me anything about the Medical Electrical Treatment Mission during the Great War. I am guessing that it was associated with treatment for shell shock, but haven't been able to find any specific references. Has anyone come across this particular "mission" or have any suggestions about where I can find out more?

Thanks for any help

I imagine it's electrotherapy that was in vogue in the 19th and early 20th centuries for the treatment of various psychiatric disorders. (Not to be confused with electroconvulsive therapy that wasn't introduced until the late 1930s).

May I ask where you have found references to the Medical Electrical Treatment Mission?

Here's a link to the therapy, but not a specific link to your mission:

http://www.epsomandewellhistoryexplorer.org.uk/ElectrotherapyAtHorton.html

Edited by Dai Bach y Sowldiwr

• 2 weeks later...
On 19/08/2018 at 05:42, Dai Bach y Sowldiwr said:

May I ask where you have found references to the Medical Electrical Treatment Mission?

CIA Field Treatment Manuals?

So sorry, I seem to have deleted half my reply before I posted it!

The reference comes from a woman I am researching who was one of the first female JPs. in the magistrates list she gives her war service as 'Served with Medical Electrical Treatment Mission during the Great War'.  

Interesting David,

Amongst the first ones on that list, there seems to be a connection with massage therapy.

Could be muscle stimulation of some sort, maybe in those rendered paraplegic for example?

• Admin
6 minutes ago, Dai Bach y Sowldiwr said:

Interesting David,

Amongst the first ones on that list, there seems to be a connection with massage therapy.

Could be muscle stimulation of some sort, maybe in those rendered paraplegic for example?

Indeed, like you I have only browsed but did find  a Sister "in charge" of such therapy. There is quite a bit on tinternet about the subject.

5 hours ago, DavidOwen said:

A search of the Red Cross personnel site brings back 146 who had "electrical" as part of their duties. https://vad.redcross.org.uk/Search?duties=electrical&page=1

If you have the lady's name she may indeed be on this list.

Thanks for the suggestion, Sadly she's not there but the connection with massage therapy is interesting.

She was married to a doctor so I may need to try find out what he was doing during the war and see if there is any apparent connection, He would have been too old for active service as he'd have been in his mid 50s by 1914.

Thanks again.

What is her name please, Ann?