Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Machine Gun Corps- Service Numbers- issue dates ?

charlie962

On 09/11/2018 at 22:38, Ianmalc said:

Just for information - F.C.Love was killed in a troop train accident travelling on train to St Michel, Modane.  My grandfather is listed Horace Fenton.

Yes, I have full details of the crash and the men involved.

just added 9464 and 9465 from mic, the gazette and newspapers. 2 DCM sergeants who became officer instructors in the Mgc

just added 9266 - 9277 from mic, the gazette and this forum for details. All senior NCO's and officers

just added 9278 - 9288 from mic and the gazette more senor NCO's

Hi

Just came across this conversation. My great uncle 30877 Pte Alexander Foote was a member of the 26 Machine Gun (Cav) Squadron which I believe was part of the Imperial Camel Corps in WWI. He originally enlisted in 1/1 Scottish Horse and was given the service number 3670. Am I correct in assuming that when he transferred to the MGC that he was given the second service number. Would appreciate any additional information about thise squadron.

Rosslyn

20 minutes ago, Rosslyn said:

Hi

Just came across this conversation. My great uncle 30877 Pte Alexander Foote was a member of the 26 Machine Gun (Cav) Squadron which I believe was part of the Imperial Camel Corps in WWI. He originally enlisted in 1/1 Scottish Horse and was given the service number 3670. Am I correct in assuming that when he transferred to the MGC that he was given the second service number. Would appreciate any additional information about thise squadron.

Rosslyn

Actually 130877 MGC(C). They had been in Gallipoli as dismounted troops and then evacuated to Egypt. The majority of them then became 13th Black Watch, but the machine gun section separated and transferred to MGC(Cavalry). His 1915 Star roll shows a group of them (and others from different Yeomanry units) a very small number (9 men and 2 officers) who were the mechanised scouts transferred to MGC (Motors) and became 7th Light Car Patrol. So all these men renumbered in Machine Gun Corps, the others renumbered as Black Watch.

http://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/army/regiments-and-corps/the-british-yeomanry-regiments-of-1914-1918/the-scottish-horse/

Edited by david murdoch

just added 9289 - 9300 Nco mixed series including Ernest Dyer Galbraith Hammett international rugby player, footballer, tennis player and teacher.

e d g hammett.png

change of method this time, just added series 21884 - 21925 that by study I have placed to be a group of men from the 1/6th Cheshires  that were part of the initial strength of the new 118th coy Mgc when the 118th brigade was formed in the june of 1916. These men were originally TF men so re enlisted into the regular army Mgc unit from their old one and likely represent the Mg section of the 1/6th Cheshires and maybe other volunteers as was common practice when forming some of the new Mgc companies in the field.

Lincspoacher

Edited by Lincspoacher
error

I have a number of men approx 25 from 17th, 18th 19th London Regiments that moved to the mgc 21160 - 21252 range from the medal rolls from when I was looking into a great uncle. What I don't have is the date of transfer. If this of use what is the best way of importing *.csv?

Tim

the link for the database is on part 13 of this topic, if you input a service number to check the record for a listing.  I then copy and paste information to the various categories, I don't know if there is a way of importing the files some one here may know. You could just deposit your information here and I could add it to the table if you like?

Lincspoacher

I've looked previously at the database and the Caspio help site and not found an obvious route to importing. I've been checking over my database and have now located about 120 men. So I'll probably have to wait for a rainy day and do a few at at time.

Tim

yes it can be a bit mind bending to do a lot at once!

just added series 21925 - 21967 that by study I have placed to be a group of men from the 1/1th Cambridgeshire regiment  that were part of the initial strength of the new 118th coy Mgc when the 118th brigade was formed in the june of 1916. These men were originally TF men so re enlisted into the regular army Mgc unit from their old one and likely represent the Mg section of the 1/1th Cambridgeshire regiment  as this site expands upon http://www.cambridgeshireregiment1914-18.co.uk/machine-gun-section.html

Lincspoacher

just added series 21968 - 21994 that by study I have placed to be a group of men from the 1/1st Hertfordshire regiment  that were part of the initial strength of the new 118th coy Mgc when the 118th brigade was formed in the june of 1916. These men were originally TF men so re enlisted into the regular army Mgc unit from their old one around the 3rd of June so ties in to dates from records and likely represent the Mg section of the 1/1th  Hertfordshire regiment

Lincspoacher

First 10 done 21160 - 21169. I'll aim to do 10 a day. What I haven't manage to find is the transfer dates. Hopefully someone might know and update.

Tim

• Admin
2 hours ago, Woodnbits said:

What I haven't manage to find is the transfer dates.

Service Record 21162 William Croot attached 141st MG Coy on 25/11/1915 (this was not uncommon) from 1/19th

Discharged TF 11/04/1916

Transferred (and renumbered) to MGC 12/04/1916, in the field.

21170 Wyatt

Transferred (and renumbered) to MGC 12/04/1916, in the field also 141st Coy but posted to 193 Coy 1917.

thank you Woodnbits for joining in and adding your discoveries to the list, the Mgc is a big beast to get to grips with!

thank you too kenf48 having those few key bits of data has helped to give some more dates and units that now match up for 12.4.16 for these men joining the 141st coy Mgc with some being attached to it at the time of it's establishment the previous year! It looks like Sjt Croot was the 1st man in for the 1/19th London's?

Edited by Lincspoacher
error

just added series 21995 - 22010 that by study I have placed to be a group of men from the 1/4th Royal Highlanders that were part of the initial strength of the new 118th coy Mgc when the 118th brigade was formed in the june of 1916. These men were originally TF men so re enlisted into the regular army Mgc unit from their old one and likely represent the Mg section of their unit.

Lincspoacher

Thank you Kenf48 for the 141st Coy info. Database now updated

Just added 21170 - 21180. More to come.

Tim

just added series 22011 - 22023 that by study I have placed to be a group of men from the 1/5th Royal Highlanders that were part of the initial strength of the new 118th coy Mgc when the 118th brigade was formed in the june of 1916. These men were originally TF men so re enlisted into the regular army Mgc unit from their old one and likely represent the Mg section of their unit and the last batch to join the new 118th coy Mgc.

Lincspoacher

just added series 22024 - 22035 that seems to be men from the Royal Highlanders, Seaforth Highlanders  and the Gordon Highlanders that joined 44th coy Mgc in 15th Scottish Division? Only proof for one man for this unit but no date but June 1916 likely based on last lot?

Just completed my series of numbers 21160 - 21279 for 17th, 18th and 19th London Regiment. A useful exercise for me as i'm fairly sure now that  the soldier I am reseaching enlisted  12/4/1916 in the MGC.

I've also added 4/5 other soldiers that I had collected.

Tim

Great job Woodnbits, good to hear you found something that you were looking for!

I thought I would continue where you got to complete the 21000's but I now see there are a few more hundred to go!

Started with 21280 - 21310 men from the 2nd south wales borderers many being very well travelled, starting in Tsingtao to Gallipoli and finally France! I managed to find this valuable website https://swb1914.uk/ that has a great deal of information for the many of the men in this series.  They seem to have been volunteers from the regular army unit to the 87th coy Mgc when established in the 16.2.16 at Suez, in 87th Brigade 29th Division before going to france?

just tried next series 21312 - 21352 seems to be 1st King's own Scottish Borderers who after Gallipoli joined the establishment of the 87th coy Mgc 16.2.16 at Suez, in 87th Brigade 29th Division before going to france?

Edited by Lincspoacher
error

just got the next series 21353 - 21386 seems to be 1st Border regiment men who were mainly at Gallipoli then as before joined the 87th coy Mgc in Egypt. Some were also 2nd battalion men who 1st served in france in 1914 and later transferred to the 1st battalion then to the Mgc, there were also a few from other units in the series too.

I have just added my grandfather's details to the table - but leads me to a hopefully simple question.

Were the soldiers allocated a service number prior to their training or was it given after the training. ie if my grandfather was given his number in June 1917, would he then go for 8 weeks MGC training, thus 'qualifying' in August 1917, or would he be sent to an 'active' Corps having completed his training in June, shown by receiving his service number?

Thank you in advance for any help in solving this.