Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Perth Digger

I thought this might be of interest, for a number of reasons (as a vignette on the missing; on a mother's viewpoint; and as evidence that families of ORs felt they could contact families of officers etc). It is a letter I found in the Service Record of Lt Geoffrey Ravenscroft Barratt, 10th Lancashire Fusiliers, who was reported missing on 7 July 1916. The letter is from Mrs Sarah Agnes Sumner, the mother of Private Frank Sumner, who was reported missing on the same day. (i think that Sarah was actually Frank's stepmother, if I interpret the 1911 census correctly.) Although there is nothing in the file to prove this, I believe that Mrs Sumner would have been told that if she wrote a letter to the family and sent it to the War Office, it would be passed on. Apart from checking to see if Frank Sumner's SR survives (it seems not to) and the 1911 census, I have not followed up on the Sumner family. Over the years I have seen many letters from mothers of ORs who were missing and this one is not unusual but, for researchers interested in ORs, this letter might never be seen, given its provenance.

The Letter

27 Pleasant View

Withnell

nr. Chorley

Lancashire

7 Oct 1916

To the Secretary [War Office]

Dear Sir

Will you kindly oblige me with the home address of Lieut. Barratt, A Company, 10th Batt. Lancashire Fusiliers, I believe missing since July 7 or 8.

My son 3997 Pte Frank Sumner A Coy 10th Batt. lancashire Fusiliers is also missing at the same time and was last seen with this officer Lieut. Barratt. They were both together and suddenly missed. Several have wrote to say they believe them to be prisoners of war.

I should so like to write and ask the officer's home people if they know any further news.

I gave all my 4 boys to King and Country and England's Honour in 1914, a very proud mother I am though I have had great sorrows. They have all been on active service and 1 fell in action at the Dardanelles.

This one 3997 F Sumner is my youngest boy missing in France a fortnight short of his 19th birthday.

I am very anxious and troubled about him. I should be so grateful to you should you be able to give me help of any news.

Believe me

Yours obediently

(Mrs) S.A. Sumner

Frank Sumner is commemorated on the Thiepval Memorial to the Missing. So is Barratt.

Mike

• 1 month later...

I haven't been able to have children, but reading a letter like this makes me almost relieved not to have to go through life with the burden of fear in case anything should happen to them. Poor, poor woman.