Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Beaumont Hamel View B+B sold up and gone back to UK?

EAST YORKSHIRE

Over in France last week and reports from local folk that The proprietor has sold up and returned to UK, seems also that some people have been let down with tours etc. I am only going on hearsay but think people might need to know in case anything has been booked in the near future.

I stand to be corrected on this, but I believe Julie (the proprietor) is suffering from ill health and has returned to England. The property was on the market recently.

T

Ooops!
[see post 4]

Edited by caulkheader

4 hours ago, EAST YORKSHIRE said:

Over in France last week and reports from local folk that The proprietor has sold up and returned to UK, seems also that some people have been let down with tours etc. I am only going on hearsay but think people might need to know in case anything has been booked in the near future.

Hearsay can be misleading, I know Dave and I doubt he would let anyone down, whats your source?

Tony

2 hours ago, caulkheader said:

I stand to be corrected on this, but I believe Julie (the proprietor) is suffering from ill health and has returned to England. The property was on the market recently.

T

Apologies, getting my guest houses mixed up [thought you meant Julie Renshaws place]

T

• Admin

please see this post from Dave 

52 minutes ago, KIRKY said:

Hearsay can be misleading, I know Dave and I doubt he would let anyone down, whats your source?

Tony

Not said anybody has let anybody down, more wondering if proprietor has sold up, post before this one has just confirmed it.

in Daves defence he did post a few months ago he was leaving so would assume he did not take any bookings knowing that he wouldnt be there.

a shame as I would have liked to use his services

I have stayed there when I used B+Bs but now use Gites for the flexibility. I saw it for sale the last time and thought to myself it is in an ideal spot!, was suprised to hear it had been sold again, do not venture much into Auchonvilliers now-just to drive through en route, Got a lift back from Denis at Auberge last week and his new venture at Thiepval will be open in April next year, just in case anybody is interested.  Ian.

5 hours ago, EAST YORKSHIRE said:

I have stayed there when I used B+Bs but now use Gites for the flexibility. I saw it for sale the last time and thought to myself it is in an ideal spot!, was suprised to hear it had been sold again, do not venture much into Auchonvilliers now-just to drive through en route, Got a lift back from Denis at Auberge last week and his new venture at Thiepval will be open in April next year, just in case anybody is interested.  Ian.

What is the new venture at Thiepval?

Tony

14 hours ago, KIRKY said:

What is the new venture at Thiepval?

Tony

Denis who owns and runs The Auberge in Authuille is opening a new eatery in Thiepval, due to open in April 2019. It looks as though it will be a bit more Anglais friendly and a simpler, cheaper option than the Auberge!!. Everytime I take my French for idiots phrasebook with me nothing is in the phrasebook what is on the menu!!, or not much anyway. Always an amazing meal though.  Ian.

4 hours ago, EAST YORKSHIRE said:

Denis who owns and runs The Auberge in Authuille is opening a new eatery in Thiepval, due to open in April 2019. It looks as though it will be a bit more Anglais friendly and a simpler, cheaper option than the Auberge!!. Everytime I take my French for idiots phrasebook with me nothing is in the phrasebook what is on the menu!!, or not much anyway. Always an amazing meal though.  Ian.

Great to have a new eatery on Somme, shame I will be there in March though!"

Tony

Perhaps Denis will open his new Thiepval restaurant on the days that he doesn't open the Auberge...

It would be nice if the style of cuisine could be updated a little from circa 1983 too. And please, no candied sugar around the rim of my G&T!

5 hours ago, horrocks said:

Perhaps Denis will open his new Thiepval restaurant on the days that he doesn't open the Auberge...

It would be nice if the style of cuisine could be updated a little from circa 1983 too. And please, no candied sugar around the rim of my G&T!

Splashed out last week- ordered the second cheapest bottle of wine instead of THE cheapest!!