Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2/4th Bn, London Regiment (Royal Fusiliers) location on 24/4/18

Lee S

I'm trying to confirm the location of this Bn on this day (24/4/18) as this is dated on the Medal Roll for my relative. I'm assuming this is the date he was taken POW. 

But i'm getting confused with the 56th & 58th Divisions and where the 2/4th's ended up during the Spring offensive. Anybody know for certain please?

The 4th Battalions war diary seems to jump about a bit and i'm having trouble following the trail :doh:

Two members of 2/4th are with 38 others from differing Battalions of the same Regiment on the Pozieres Memorial who all died the same day.  Perhaps all attached to the same Battalion.

https://www.cwgc.org/find/find-war-dead/results?regiment=London%2BRegiment%2B(Royal%2BFusiliers)&dateFrom=24-04-1918&dateTo=24-04-1918&exactDate=24-04-1918

Edited by Jrmh

18 minutes ago, helpjpl said:

Villers-Bretonneux is where i suspected he was captured (as i know many Brits were over those few days)  Thanks for the confirmation JP! 

1 minute ago, Bardess said:

If you go to post 41 on this thread, I have transcribed the WD and added 3 extra pages

wonderful! Will have a read of that tonight thank you

37 minutes ago, Jrmh said:

Two members of 2/4th are with 38 others from differing Battalions of the same Regiment on the Pozieres Memorial who all died the same day.  Perhaps all attached to the same Battalion.

https://www.cwgc.org/find/find-war-dead/results?regiment=London%2BRegiment%2B(Royal%2BFusiliers)&dateFrom=24-04-1918&dateTo=24-04-1918&exactDate=24-04-1918

Should've mentioned I have his grave location, he didn't die until 22.8.18 and is buried at Le Cateau 

Re #6 - 'Villers-Bretonneux is where i suspected he was captured'

The 2/4 Londons were in the Cachy area from 19 to 25 April 1918 as per War Diary in #5 and link in #4 which gives location on 24 April.

Cachy.jpg.ff1e44092f929129af3823fdf5b1d9d1.jpg

2018145071_24Londons.jpg.4902f8910e60c02051124dcb83b0366a.jpg

JP

Edited by helpjpl
typo

Glad I was at least heading in the correct direction then! I was going by these and couldn't see the woods for the trees as it were. Gives me a good idea of where I need to get to rather than where I  thought  he was originally up near Bapaume :whistle:

FB_IMG_1534529501073.jpg

FB_IMG_1534529461199.jpg

• 2 months later...

my great grandfather was 2/4th Royal Fusiliers according to the military records and was killed on the 25th April 1918 at Hangard Wood

His gravestone records him as 3rd Battalion London Regiment Royal Fusiliers.

According to the map reference his body was found near the road just out of Hangard Wood towards Villers Bretonneux.

His body was exhumed from i believe Hangard Wood Cemetery and reinterred at Crucifix Corner Cemetery. I noticed on a recent visit to Hangard Wood cemetery a solder from the 2/4th buried there, he had died the day before my relative.