Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Laz. 10 on ICRC report location?

Lee S

Hi all, after coming across the ICRC details for my great, great Uncles death they have him down as dying of Pleurisy 22.8.18 (if i have it worked out right?) at Laz. 10 which i'm assuming is short for Kriegslazarett / Battlefield Hospital No.10?

He's buried at
Le Cateau Military Cemetery, I've been going round in circles trying to find a possible site location for the hospital without much luck. I'm taking my father out to his grave next week for his 100th anniversary, it'd be great if someone could point me in the direction of where it was. Led to believe he was taken POW in the April but have no firm link to where he was in the time between being captured and his death. 

Thomas Henry Sinfield - Private 3727 / 281379
2/4th Bn, London Regiment (Royal Fusiliers) 

Thanks in advance

C_G1_E_04_01_0216_0100.JPG

Kriegslazarette (to be translated as War Hospitals) were large and had often several buildings in use (by 1918 these would be Kriegslazarette under Kriegslazarett-Direktor 10 most probably). Without identification of the exact sub-hospital, it is difficult to say. The hôpital Paturle was in use, as well as the Usine Seydoux, just to name two.

6 hours ago, AOK4 said:

Kriegslazarette (to be translated as War Hospitals) were large and had often several buildings in use (by 1918 these would be Kriegslazarette under Kriegslazarett-Direktor 10 most probably). Without identification of the exact sub-hospital, it is difficult to say. The hôpital Paturle was in use, as well as the Usine Seydoux, just to name two.

Thank you for that info, I guess finding the sub hospital info is going to be nigh on impossible then? Given that there are circa 500 graves at that cemetery would it be worthwhile looking at those close to him to see if their records contain any other info? 

I doubt that information about the actual hospital building will be found in the ICRC files as this would probably have been censored out. Only the Kriegslazarett-Direktor (in this case 10) would be given. Perhaps some local historian may know more? Especially as most German sources have not survived the WW2 bombings...

Soldiers Effects records on Ancestry might give a better location?

That may be a good idea, will have to see if there's anyone in Le Cateau next week 

10 minutes ago, johnboy said:

Soldiers Effects records on Ancestry might give a better location?

Didn't have much joy with that either 

From researching my POW grandfather, I would say your man was in Field hospital 10 at Le Cateau (wounded when captured probably). then to the temporary POW camp at Semmel. There is a German location at the end Friederichfeld, Wesel possibly the POW records office?

25 minutes ago, The Owlman said:

From researching my POW grandfather, I would say your man was in Field hospital 10 at Le Cateau (wounded when captured probably). then to the temporary POW camp at Semmel. There is a German location at the end Friederichfeld, Wesel possibly the POW records office?

Currently I'm struggling to pin down where he was taken POW, possibly at Villers-Bretonneux given the dates on Ancestry. But obviously that was 4 months before his death record so anything could've happened in between I guess. 

Only managed to decipher half of the icrc info so will have to look into the Friederichfeld bit. He was down as wounded but that was in Nov of 17, haven't found any later wounded info as yet. 

40 minutes ago, The Owlman said:

No he was not! He was in one of the hospitals of Kriegslazarett (Direktor) 10 in Le Cateau (a field hospital (Feldlazarett) is something completely different than a war hospital (Kriegslazarett)). And as has been said very often before on this forum, the reference to a POW camp in Germany is normal for POWs that were still on the Western Front, this was done for reasons of concealment (the Allies took similar measures).

I asked the same question - the whereabouts of Kriegs Lazarett 10 - on a German speaking forum. „Sanitätsbericht 2“ gives the location as in/near Le Cateau. As AOK 4 has already said, thats as near as you are going to get.

Charlie

52 minutes ago, charlie2 said:

I asked the same question - the whereabouts of Kriegs Lazarett 10 - on a German speaking forum. „Sanitätsbericht 2“ gives the location as in/near Le Cateau. As AOK 4 has already said, thats as near as you are going to get.

Charlie

Ahh right ok. Looks like AOK4's suggestion of someone local may have a better idea then possibly. Will have to see what i can pick up next week i guess

6 hours ago, Lee S said:

Only managed to decipher half of the icrc info 

What are you having problems with? Have you found another list other than the one in your original post?

Charlie

2 hours ago, charlie2 said:

What are you having problems with? Have you found another list other than the one in your original post?

Charlie

Sadly no other info yet, I'd kind of worked out most of it to the Grab 1618 grave number part but the rest after that baffled me a bit if i'm honest! 

1 hour ago, clk said:

Hi Lee S,

As a really, really, really, really long shot I wonder if there might be anything in the accompanying paperwork associated with his will.

Regards

Chris

That's a good shout Chris! thanks just ordered his

Edited by Lee S

it says: Private - 2/4/London Regiment - born 12 August 1894 in London - railway worker - died on 22 August 1918 in hospital 10 in Le Cateau of pleurisy - buried Ehrenfriedhof in Le Cateau grave 1618 - Notification by POW collection and deporting station Friedrichsfeld near Wesel - reference number 32965 W.

3 hours ago, AOK4 said:

it says: Private - 2/4/London Regiment - born 12 August 1894 in London - railway worker - died on 22 August 1918 in hospital 10 in Le Cateau of pleurisy - buried Ehrenfriedhof in Le Cateau grave 1618 - Notification by POW collection and deporting station Friedrichsfeld near Wesel - reference number 32965 W.

Appreciate that, thank you. All this is still very new to me so I'm learning as I go at the moment. Been a watcher on here for a little while, amazed at the info and knowledge 👍🏻