Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The Battle of Annaberg

Guest Benoit Douville

Guest Benoit Douville

Anyone here interested about this unknown Battle that happened in May 1921 between the German Freikorps and the Polish insurgents in Upper Silesia. It was the first German victory since 1918 when the German Freikorps beat the Polish insurgents at Annaberg. I have researching about this Battle and I found it pretty fascinating. Anyway, if someone is interested to talk about it, I will be glad to talk about it.

• 10 months later...

Apologies for picking this up so late (to say the least), but I am looking for information on the battle, maps, orbats and so on. I'd be very interested if anyone can point me in the right direction.

Anyone here interested about this unknown Battle that happened in May 1921 between the German Freikorps and the Polish insurgents in Upper Silesia. It was the first German victory since 1918 when the German Freikorps beat the Polish insurgents at Annaberg. I have researching about this Battle and I found it pretty fascinating. Anyway, if someone is interested to talk about it, I will be glad to talk about it.

Guest Benoit Douville

Here is some info about the Battle of Anaberg. It is one of my area of research now. The 3 battalions of the Bavarian Oberland were transported to Krappitz on the 19/20 May 1921. During the night of 20/21 May the attackers crossed the Oder and at 0230 hours the attack began, with the Oberland on the left and a force of other Freikorps battalions on the right.By 0930 hours,having repulsed one Polish counterattack, the Oberland had secured its first objective with 8 killed and 50 wounded. Using a battery of captured Polish guns the Freikorps surrounded Annaberg and then stormed the heights. Within 20 minutes the fight was over, leaving 100 Polish POW ,and further German casualties of 2 killed and 20 wounded.

On the 23rd May the Poles counterattacked but were repulsed after close quarter combat.The Oberland suffered heavy casualties.On the night of 30/31 May the Poles subjected the heights to intense mortar fire;the Freikorps response was to attack again. The position was held.

Here is a map of the Battle of Annaberg:

There is also a must read writen by T. Hunt Tooley National Identity and Weimar Germany in Upper Silesia 1918-122:

0803244290.01.MZZZZZZZ.jpg

Regards

post-5220-1132945322.jpeg