Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

WW1 RFC 'maternity' tunic

dutchbarge

Would any of the members care to comment on this tunic............at the very least it's been worked over for a larger framed person than the original owner (misalignment of front fly, back seam let out, collar won't close properly)................not sure if it's twill, gabardine or serge worn thin...............lining probably replaced........obviously missing the wings, pips, etc...........and someone added US Army rank braid to the cuffs......................came from a costume shop................and the color is much more mustard than I'd expect..........but, I've been looking for an RFC tunic for ages and decided to take a chance.  Will require some serious refurbishment...................not even sure if it's WW1 vintage or costume shop made.  I would appreciate member's learned opinions.  Cheers, Bill

s-l1600.jpg

uyt.jpg

s-l1600 (1j.jpg

s-l1600 (1)hjk.jpg

Well, to my eyes at least, if it is a copy it is a vintage copy, and extremely well patterned... do you have any other photos of the liner? In my experience copies tend to be let down by the quality of the inside detailing which was never really intended to be seen, whereas originals are usually much better.

Thank you, Andrew, for your kind reply.  I'll have interior photos next week.  What is your opinion of the fabric?  Twill, worn serge?  Does the color seem within the range of khaki one encounters with RFC kit?  I most appreciate your help (as always!).  Cheers, Bill

Again, to my eyes at least the generally slightly odd colour appears more down to long exposure to light than anything else (eg the darker patch where the rear seam has been let out looks much closer to a normal khaki variation). The modifications are also very similar to another ex-costume hire original I have seen, and it obviously started out life with proper front buttoning and insignia you'd expect. Put it this way, I'd certainly have considered it worthy of investment under the same circumstances.

Thanks again, Andrew.  The fabric almost looks like other rank's serge that has had its nap worn off.  The cloth that was exposed when the back seam was let out is darker but also seems to have a serge-like nap?  Hard to tell in these photos, I know.  But the cloth overall seems more like other rank's than officer's?  I'm wondering what the cloth under the US Army cuff braid will look like when the braid is removed?  Darker, deep nap?  That will be a chore to correct. I keep telling myself that I'm done with 'project'  uniforms, but I feel for them as one might feel for an old dog that needs looking after.  Cheers, Bill

On ‎16‎/‎08‎/‎2018 at 04:07, dutchbarge said:

...I keep telling myself that I'm done with 'project'  uniforms, but I feel for them as one might feel for an old dog that needs looking after...

Well I'm always up for the challenge should it prove to much for you ;-)

• 4 weeks later...

I noticed this tunic as well. It looks fine to me. I know this may seem a little odd to say but it may be American. I know that the RFC in Canada did co-training with the US during the first war. There are numerous photos around of Americans in Toronto training with RFC personnel and there are also photos of Canadian's training with American's in Texas. This tunic may be a product of that collaboration. I wouldn't remove the US rank just yet. I have a 1918 RAF cadet tunic  (Canadian) in my collection. The pilot did not make it overseas before the War ended. It has US rank in place of the RAF rank on the sleeve. My suspicion is that is was obtained in Texas.

Ypres

https://www.star-telegram.com/news/local/community/fort-worth/article153166214.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camp_Taliaferro

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Flying_Corps_Canada

https://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.ca/en/article/royal-flying-corps/