Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Septic Pneumonia

keithfazzani

A chap I am researching died of Septic Pneumonia whilst home on leave. Is there anything different between Septic Pneumonia and Pneumonia? 

4 minutes ago, keithfazzani said:

A chap I am researching died of Septic Pneumonia whilst home on leave. Is there anything different between Septic Pneumonia and Pneumonia? 

Effectively, pneumonia has a reasonable chance of recovery. Septic pneumonia is often the end-game for pneumonia. In effect, the difference is which has the earlier date on a death certificate

Thank you both. David that makes it clear. The death was in late November 1918 and the chap was on leave. The report says he arrived home a few days earlier on leave feeling unwell and died of Septic Pneumonia. I wonder whether he had the 'flu when he came home and that developed into Pneumonia, fairly likely I would have thought given the dates. 

Hi

It sounds like he was a victim of the Spanish Flu which in Nov 1918 was in the deadly second wave. There are many reports of victims in the 2nd wave being well one day and dying suddenly the next day. The 2nd wave was characterised by an overwhelming pneumonia

Tony

Edited by familyhistoryman