Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

VIIIth Corps Cyclist Battalion

keithfazzani

Can anyone help. I have been hunting around for ages to try and sort out exactly what the above battalion was and in which Division it served. I seem to have come across a number of cyclist battalions with the number 8, which is most confusing. Is there anyone out there who understands the designations of cyclists battalions. In particular I would like to find their war diary or any histories that might be available. 

If it's a Corps unit, then I'd assume it's attached to Corps HQ and allocated on an as and when needed basis rather than serving with a specific Division.

Would the WD not be with the Corps HQ diaries? Looking at the LLT, it says that WDs exist and are at Kew, and that no regimental history exists. Corps Cyclist battalions were used as messengers, recce and as mobile firepower if required. I would assume the March/April 1918 period was hectic, and then recce work in the Advance.

Hello Keith

From the beginning of the War, each British Division had a cavalry squadron, shortly to be joined by a corps cyclist company, for reconnaissance purposes. In the spring of 1916 these were withdrawn and consolidated into Corps Cavalry Regiments and Corps Cyclist Battalions. As its name implies, this unit was part of VIII Corps.

Its war diary is here:

8 CORPS 
WO 95/828 Corps Cyclist Battalion 1916 May - 1919 Nov.  
It will be available on TNA's website but not on Ancestry.

Ron

Edited by Ron Clifton

Thanks. That clarifies matters , I'll have a look on TNA. 

Have downloaded the War Diary and found the information I wanted. Thanks again.