Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Uniform/Badge identification please

stuart rowles

Can anyone identify the attached badge or uniform.

Is this picture likely to be WW1?

Alfred Edwin Rowles 1897-1969.jpg

At first glance it looks like the King's Liverpool Regiment, but it's been hand-coloured, so it's difficult to be sure. 

Do you have a name for the soldier? 

Edited by Ken Lees

I believe this man to be Alfred Edwin Rowles, born 27.10.1897 at Coreley, son of George & Eliza Rowles.

He died 18.5.1959 at Kidderminster, age 61.

I am researching all the ROWLES that served in WW1 and was given this picture from the grandson of Alfred Edwin Rowles.

But I cannot find any mention of him. He is not in the MiC, Medal Rolls and there are no service papers.

He may well have enlisted late in the war and not been awarded any medals. As we know most of the service papers are lost.

He is a bit of a mystery and I am unsure as to whether to include him. I also have a picture of his gravestone.

HELP!

• 2 months later...

I believe that there may be more to be seen in this picture in addition to the cap badge.  The badge is clearly that of The King's (Liverpool Regiment) but the shoulder title may be far more interesting.  It appears to be a two part badge, similar in style to those of the City Battalions of the Liverpool Pals. The Pals wore the Regimental cap badge until issued with their famous badge. However, I know that at least one other Service battalion had a similar title later in the war but at the moment I cannot put my hands on my notes.