Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The 1st Battalion, The Kings Liverpool Regiment 1914-1915

Hello Everyone,

I've been researching my great grandfather Fred Bates who served under the alias Frank Taylor with the service number 9037. I recently found a photograph which has spurred me on to research. I was wondering if anyone could tell me where the 1st Battalion, The Kings Liverpool Regiment was in January 1915? I believe they were near Festubert. Had this Battalion been at Ypres in 1914?

Thank you again for your help.

CWGC shows 15 men of 1st Bn buried in LE TOURET MILITARY CEMETERY, RICHEBOURG-L'AVOUE, 3 km from Festubert during Jan 1915.

About 100 names on the Menin Gate, Ypres Memorial panels for the period of First Ypres.

I can’t find a War Diary on The National Archives website.

http://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/army/order-of-battle-of-divisions/2nd-division/

Edited by Jrmh

• 7 months later...

Hi,

My grandfather William Yates was in B company, 1st Battalion Kings Liverpool. Like yourself, I'm doing some research.

I have a copy of the officer's war diaries for 1st Bat. On 1st January '15 they arrived at L'Epinette just North of Festubert. During the month of January '15 they were also in and around the villages of Le Touret and Hingette north of Bethune.

Yes 1st Battalion was in the 1st battle of Ypres. Arrived at Hazebrouck by rail on 16th October '14 then marched to Ypres arriving on 20th. Much fighting followed around Polygon wood.

Hope this was of interest.

Regards

Paul

Wow this is absolutely fascinating, thank you so much for this information. I really hope I can find out more. I need to get hold of the war diaries again,

Hi again,

I've been researching my grandfather who was in 1st Battalion 'Kings' for the last 6 months. I started by looking in the archives at the Liverpool museum. Looks like your great grandfather Fred and my grandfather William were possibly together. The battalion arrived at Le Havre on 13/8/14, William Yates had been fighting for 2 years before being captured aged 18 at the battle of Guillemont in the Somme on 8/8/16.

I've been looking for other people to share information who have a similar interest in WW1 and the 1st Bat Kings.

If you need any more info, please get in touch.

Regards

Paul

• 1 month later...

Hello Paul,

It it would be absolutely fascinating to chat further, it seems as though our relatives were pre War soldiers too!

• 2 months later...

Hi

My Great grandfather William Henry Mather (Pte 27017) served with the 1st Battalion and was killed on the 1 June 2016 near Souchez. I have a copy of just a single page of a war diary (page 285 The Devils Wood) outlining movements of the 1st. It mentions Lieut Thomson and 2nd  Lieuts  Hewson and Head. Does any one know the full source of this diary?

I have accessed the medal card for William (WO372/13/16719). He was awarded the 14/15 Star. It mentions a qualifying date of 21/12/15. Is this the date of enlistment or the first time he entered the theatre of war? Moreover, what is the best source of trench maps for the Souchez Angres area in 1916?

This is my first posting and I would  be grateful for any assistance.

Many thanks

Keith

Welcome to the forum Keith,

the date of entry on the MIC is the date that your great grandfather entered a theatre of war and not when he enlisted (we can work that out later - I haven’t looked for any service records for him). If you have access to ancestry the war diary for the battalion can be found here ( it will open on 1st June 1916 but the whole diary runs either side) Trench maps can be found here and here. We’re a pretty friendly bunch here so do come back with any questions that I’m sure will arise in your research 

J

Many thanks Jay. I have  a subscription for forces-war-records but have been unable to find any more of his records. Several years ago I visited his grave in   Souchez and there were 5 or so 1KLR graves nearby.  Apparently he was a buyer for a wine company and spoke fluent French, which I guess was unusual for that time. Sadly I don't have any photographs of him. His son,  Arthur Edward (Pte 50386?) also served in the Liverpool Regiment Labour Corps and I do have a photo of him with colleagues and a trusty dog!

Still finding my way, but I did notice a posting by David Kay about Thomas Richards (27816) who was also from 1KLR and who died on the same  the same day

Best wishes

Keith

A little more detail for you Keith, William enlisted in Liverpool on or shortly after 2nd March 1915 - this is based on the £4 10 shillings paid to his widow Louisa, he was also reported killed in action on the 1st June 1916. You're correct in that there are several other 1st Bn graves near by albeit most of these contain 2 sets of remains, the CWGC record 16 casualties for the battalion on that day and all but one are buried at Caberet Rouge, the other is remembered at the Arras Memorial to the Missing. I will also add that the 6th Inf Bde WD is littered with maps, I believe that one can take a 14 free day trial with ancestry - don't forget to cancel before the time is up and then you can download to your hearts content.

J

Many thanks Jay. I was wondering when he enlisted. Where can I get a copy of the payment to Louisa....Is there a WO reference. Strangely I can find no ref to William  nor his wife in the 1911 census (but early days). I am going to try to get trench maps for Ersatz, Hartung and Gurban trenches (not looked yet) I did take some pics of his grave and will have to revisit. Certainly there was another name on his headstone.

As an aside, Louisa (nee Burton, born in Alderney to a family from Uplyme (Lyme Regis way)) was the daughter of William H Mcbrinn (b 1858).  He signed up in 1877 with the Artillery in Carrickfergus and I have a copy of his enlistment papers. Louisa and William married in St Peters Port Geurnsey. He had previously been with the Antrim Artillery and eventually served 12 yrs. He ended up working on the Docks in Liverpool.

Thanks again. Most helpful. Keith

• 4 months later...

Hi Keith, I think I have the same page copy of the diary you mention in your first post here. (Vimy Ridge, 1st June 1916). The copy I have is certainly written by Lieut Col Goff, he went missing on the 8/8/19 in the attack on Guillemont on the Somme. The copies of the diaries are in a large book I bought, 'First World War Diary', 2 Division, 6 Infantry Brigade, King's (Liverpool Regiment), 1st Battalion - 12th August 1914 to 31st December 1917. Published by Naval and Military Press Ltd., www.nmarchive.com Unfortunately the copies for May '16 leading up to your great grandfather being killed are missing.

Hope this helps.

Paul

20191201_142352.jpg

Many thanks Paul. Very useful. This looks to be the source. A friend recently sent me a copy of Liverpool Echo 17 June 1916 which lists that WH Mather was killed in action on the 1 June. Best regards Keith.