Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Book Launch Event (La Gorgue)

petet

A new book is being launched next month in France about the history of La Gorgue aerodrome and for a while I have been trying to find someone to represent No. 35 Squadron at the event (as the squadron was based there during WWI)

Today, the organisers have advised me that they are still looking for representatives from No. 15, 35 and 208 squadrons, so if anyone is in the region and would be interested in representing any of those squadrons at the event, then please get in touch (all travel, accommodation etc will have to be funded by the attendee).

My understanding is that representatives from No. 2, 5, 16, 42, 46 and probably 43 squadron will be present

Regards

Pete

[Note: I have no commercial interest in the book, I am only in the loop due to my interest in No. 35 Squadron]

Edited by petet

Hi there - If anyone comes forward to represent No 208 Squadron I should very much like to ask the following question: Can anyone suggest why a Sopwith Snipe from 208 Squadron was on Bouvincourt Aerodrome around 13/14 November 1918?

Thanks!

I think I may be among those there representing 5 Squadron on behalf of a relative who served (albeit briefly) at La Gorgue in WW1.  Goodness Annette, I hope no one asks me any questions like that!

Piers

:D Piers, now you put it that way I see what you mean! LOL.

However, how did I know there was a 208 Sqdn Snipe at Bouvincourt? See Cross & Cockade International Vol 48 page 213. How did CCI know? The wonders of WWI aero research are marvellous to behold. Somebody somewhere might just have some relevant information, and who better than someone with ties to the squadron? 

Cheers

Annette

Seriously, I think Serge, the author of the book, is hoping for people with some sort of interest in and connection to the squadrons concerned, preferably at La Gorgue or Merville, not necessarily experts in their history down to individual aircraft movements at other aerodromes after the armistice!  I suspect he would like to be able to say that all the relevant squadrons stationed at La Gorgue at one time or another were represented at his gathering in some way, so if there are any people with connections of any kind to 15, 35 or 208 squadrons who may be in France around that time don’t be put off, I’m sure he would be pleased to hear from you.

I don’t have any commercial interest in the book either; I just provided a very (very) modest amount of information to the author.    Serge was kind enough to invite me and I thought it might be interesting to attend as the book launch coincides with my own plans to be in France on Saturday 15th September.  He’s put a lot of work into the book - a real labour of love.  There’s an airshow at Merville next day too if anyone’s interested - https://www.meeting-merville.com/programme.html.  I’ll be happy to pass any offers on to Serge.

Annette, I’m sure your Snipe question is an intreguing conundrum worthy of its own thread!

cheers

Piers

• 4 weeks later...

I will be going to this event, on account of my great uncle, Lt RCH Bewes of 7 Squadron (believe he may also have been in 2 Squadron for a time), who was KIA flying an R.E.5 on 23rd May 1915. You're right, this really is a labour of love for Serge. The consistency of the emails has been amazing!

Cheers, Colin

Likewise, myself and my brother will be attending to represent our grandfather William 'Billy' Waller (16 Sqn), who was at La Gorgue, and our great uncle Albert 'Bertie' Waller (18 Sqn) who wasn't! We donated some photos of La Gorgue from our grandfather's album, I believe at least one has made it into Serge's book.

@Annette Carson I think there will be a few proper 'propeller heads' at this event, so we'll ask around if anyone is a serious RNAS buff. Given the date I'm sure there were plenty of people going on joyrides to see old mates in those few days, sharing their relief at the end of the big show!!

Will Waller

Pete, I'd be delighted to, but probably not much good for your purposes as it's a 'team photo' of 16 Squadron officers only, PM me and I can share anyway.

1 hour ago, petet said:

Will

Would it be possible to have one or two of the photographs of La Gorgue for inclusion on my History of No. 35 Squadron website?

Regards

Pete

I imagine Serge Comini will have more than a few pics of La Gorgue! 

Is there any information as to when and where (and how) the book will be available? Title?

Thanks,

Dan

UPDATE

I have spoken to Serge and he has advised me that due to budget, the initial print run was limited to 250, with copies targeted at friends, family and the local community. However, if there is sufficient interest, he would look at the possibility of a further run and the book could be made more widely available.

The launch is this weekend, so I hope all goes well for the organisers and attendees

Regards

Pete