Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

war diary maps

richardanthony

Does anyone know if the maps referenced in the war diaries are available, i have the war diary pages [thanks to another member for that] but not the maps.

• Admin

The National Library of Scotland Collection 

https://maps.nls.uk/ww1/trenches/

or McMasters University

http://library.mcmaster.ca/maps/ww1/home

Neither is complete and the latter imo is marginally easier to search but NLS has an overlay facility for modern maps

Also it's worth looking at the higher tier war diaries i.e. Brigade/Division as these often have maps relating to the 'plan of attack'

Ken

Edited by kenf48

1 hour ago, richardanthony said:

Does anyone know if the maps referenced in the war diaries are available, i have the war diary pages [thanks to another member for that] but not the maps.

Quite a few years ago someone in the IWM decided that maps should be stored separately from reports. Such was the state of their accessions database that the connections between them were lost, then a lot of the maps were lost or sold. Linking a report or diary to a map is now a matter of luck.

There are a lot of maps available, if you have a specific request, people here can often help.

Howard

The maps you mention may well have been in the diary that you have the written pages for. They are usually among the appendices for that month. Failing that they may be in the Brigade or Division diaries or even in another battalion's diary of the same Brigade.

Maps in diaries tend to be more specific to an action relevant to that battalion, brigade etc so may have all the relevant information marked out or annotated.

Which battalion's diary pages do you have?

TEW

i have the pages for the essex reg 2nd bat for the period around 13 october 1914 near meteren [pages numbered 14, 15 and 16 (for some reason the printed number page 14 has been crossed out and changed to 56)]. The. map is referred to as belgium map sheet 1.

Richard

2 Essex were part of 12 Infantry Brigade (4 Div) In the Brigade WD there is a hand drawn map dated 13/10/1914 headed Meteren which you might wish to see. If you have Ancestry go into browse and search under Various Infantry Brigades. Alternatively put 1501 in the Keywords and leave everything else blank

Brian 

Edited by brianmorris547
additional info

I see from the 2/Essex & Brigade diaries that the actions around Meteren for 12 Brigade came to an end late afternoon on 14/10/14. The whole division then marched to Bailleul and were billeted. They then moved to 'pt 63 - Chateau - Legheer - Ploegsteert Fm' at 7am on 16/10/14. It is this later position that Map Belgium Sheet 1 is referring to not Meteren.

There is a sketch map in 12 Bde. Diary showing Ploegsteert, dated 20/21 Oct 1914. Ancestry Page 213/676 of WO95/1501.

TEW

• 1 month later...