Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

what order are ww1 medals worn

eckky

I've got my wife's grandfathers WW1 medals and his WW2 medal . I want to mount them in a case but don't know the order of wear?.

In what order would they be worn?  ( Great war medal , Victory medal , Territorial War medal, and Territorial Efficiency medal. )

Among them there is a French Croix de guerre dated 1914-1917 which may be his fathers (wife's' G/Grandfather ) as he served also in WW1 in france with the 5th RSF.

Where would that fit into the order of the medals if it was grandfathers ? 

Foreign orders and awards are always worn last even if they technically out rank the British medals. If you can get access to a copy of the medal year book, doesn't need to be this year's, it has a list of order of wear in it. You will be able to identify all the medals you have and work out the correct order. 

Ok,  thanks for the info.

It turns out only the g/grandfather served in france so I think that the Croix de guerre is his . The grandfather served in Egypt and Palestine for the whole war so I don't think it could be his .

Edited by eckky

You are correct with the order of wear great war medal / victory medal / territorial war medal and last is the territorial efficiency medal.

Just now, hughfw said:

You are correct with the order of wear great war medal / victory medal / territorial war medal and last is the territorial efficiency medal.

Thanks , where would his ww2 medal be worn , before the ww1 s or after them but before the foreign one (if his )

• Admin
1 hour ago, eckky said:

Thanks , where would his ww2 medal be worn , before the ww1 s or after them but before the foreign one (if his )

Campaign medals are worn in the order in which they were granted so I expect ww1, ww2, foreign.

The definitive list is published in the London Gazette every so often, latest can be found here https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/56878/supplement/3351 unfortunately whilst they go into a lot of detail in some instances the paragraph on Campaign medals and Stars is somewhat weak!

A brief internet search for the medal yearbook mentioned above show some quite cheap second hand options available

Edited by DavidOwen

2 hours ago, eckky said:

Ok,  thanks for the info.

It turns out only the g/grandfather served in france so I think that the Croix de guerre is his . The grandfather served in Egypt and Palestine for the whole war so I don't think it could be his .

Hi eckky

Welcome to the forum. If you give us his name and service No, we can confirm the London Gazette for the foreign award, also I have a database of foreign awards and would love to add his details to it.

Peter

Hi Peter ,

G/Grandfather)   Pte Robert Maitland, He enlisted in the 5th RSF 9/9/1914 aged 45 and was discharged from the S.C.Labour Centre, 22/2/1919,   regimental No. 271449.

Grandfather )   A/Cpl A Maitland No 201. Ayr Battery R.H.A. (TF)

Thanks

He did go to France and Gallipoli with the 5th RSF and they were TA (TF at the time )

I had seen that before on other photos but only wondered about it when I saw he had one .

eckky

22 hours ago, eckky said:

Hi Peter ,

G/Grandfather)   Pte Robert Maitland, He enlisted in the 5th RSF 9/9/1914 aged 45 and was discharged from the S.C.Labour Centre, 22/2/1919,   regimental No. 271449.

Grandfather )   A/Cpl A Maitland No 201. Ayr Battery R.H.A. (TF)

I do not have either on my list. I am not stating that my database is 100%, but it must be very close. All I can suggest is checking War diaries, local Newspapers & if his service/pension papers have survived.
If his service/pension are available, they may not have any mention of foreign awards, as I have searched some known recipients papers & not all have the awards mentioned. I think that the papers must have been thinned out over the years.

All I ask is, if you do find any thing regarding his award could you please let me know so I can add him to my database.

Peter

Thanks for looking ,

I've just found his medal card on the an site and it did not mention any Croix de guerre only his star and war and victory medal .

His service record were destroyed in WW2 I think

I.m wondering if it had been picked up somewhere or given to him, not awarded to him .