Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Battle of Shaiba

Nick

Pals,

Can anyone suggest a web site where I might find details of the encounter at Shaiba (Near Basra) in 1914?

I have a general description, but the best detail I have been able to find extends to a couple of general paragraphs. A map of the battle would be most helpful in understanding events.

I understand a group of arabs 'changed sides' during this action?

Regards

Nick

Dave,

Thanks for that. I have seen that site and was actually looking for something that covered the action in greater detail.

I assume the action is covered in the official history which I am still hoping to get my hands on.

Any other suggestions?

Nick

I have found it difficult to piece together a detailed account of Shaiba, though I haven't read the British Official History yet. I will, however, post the information that I have, starting with a detailed OOB supplied by Jeff Leser:

Below are the Ottoman forces that fought at the Suayyibe Muharebesi (Battle of Shaiba). This information is from the Turkish official history of the war, 'Birinci Dünya Harbinde Türk Harbi IIIncü Irak-Iran Cephesi 1nci Kisim' pages 173-201, Order of Battle 5, and Maps 16 and 17.

Firat Grubu (Euphrates Group)

35th XX: 104th, 105th Infantry Regiments (two bns each); Artillery Battalion, 35th XX (three 4-gun field batteries); one MG company.

Mürettep XX: 1st Mürettep Regiment (three battalions); Irak Mürettep Regiment and Itfaiya (Firebrigade) Regiment (two bns each); Mürettep Artillery Battalion (three 4-gun field batteries, two mountain guns and two 10.5mm howitzers).

Asirat Kuvvetleri (Tribal Forces): Acemi Bey Tribesmen; Abdullah Falih Tribesmen; Sadak Tribesmen; Ziya Bey Tribesmen (about 2000 mounted men total)

Two Squadrons from the 33rd Cavalry Regiment (it doesn't provide the

squadron numbers).

The 1/26th Infantry Regiment arrived on the 13th of April.

Specifically in answer to your question about the Arab contingents, the Mürettep Division comprised Arab soldiers. It was the Asirat Kuvvetleri that contained irregular Arab forces. I believe that it was tribesmen that began attacking the retreating Ottoman infantry.

Robert

The reorganisation of the Mesopotamian forces effective April 1st, 1915, saw the following British forces posted as a garrison to defend Shaiba (Source: Farndale):-

6th Cavalry Brigade (including "S" Battery, RHA)

10th Brigade RFA (less 82nd Battery and one gun of 63rd Battery)

23rd Indian Mountain Battery

16th Infantry Brigade, 6th Poona Division

Lord Carver reports that at some time before the Turkish attack, there were 5 battalions of 16th and 18th Brigades, commanded by 18th Brigade commander, General Fry. Carver continues:

'[sulaiman Askari's] forward troops were contacted by cavalry patrols west of Shaiba on 10 April, and early next morning the camp was attacked as the fifty-two-year-old Major General Charles Meliss's 30th Brigade was sent over in the local flat-bottomed rowing boats known as bellums to reinforce the garrison.'

Melliss wrote the following account of the transfer:

"Nixon (GOC 2nd Indian Corps) decided to send me out with one battalion in canoes. A large number were collected and by 4 pm I started, you [writing to his wife] should have seen my fleet! The men poling and of course awkwardly being new to it. It was a very scattered fleet, as we drew near Shaiba camp the enemy tried to shell us but it was getting dark and they could not get the range. About 8 pm I arrived and some of my divisional staff in leading canoes. It was quite dark incessant firing going on all around for the enemy were attacking. We were afraid of being shot by our own side or by the Turk, however we got inside the defences alright, my canoe man being shot in the arm. Bullets were flying all over the camp, maxims going, star shell rising in the air and falling in blue green lights to show up the enemy. It was picturesque but unpleasant as I had over a mile to part of the defences where General Fry who was commanding was. There was nothing to be done that night so having got something to eat lay down in my clothes and tried to sleep but the incessant firing close at hand would not let me do much sleeping...."

Farndale writes:

'It was clear by April 11 that the enemy were advancing in force to attack Shaiba where the British position was three and a half miles in circumference. It was defended by 16th Brigade under Major General Fry. He deployed 63rd Battery RFA (5 x 18-pounders) on the left. At 0500 hours on 12th April, the Turks closed on the Picquets. "Shaiba 12th April 1915. Enemy attacked at 0515 hours. Left section had been withdrawn and right section occupied gun emplacements prepared yesterday. Battery commander observed from Kiln Post. Battery fired all day towards northwest at ranges of 2,000-3,000 yards. Battery under fire from the east but the enemy burst their shells high or on graze" (War Diary 23rd Mountain Battery). At 0545 hours the Turk's 12 guns opened fire. They had come into action in an arc from west to south of Shaiba on forward slopes. Their guns had no shields. Within 15 minutes virtually all were silenced by some of the most effective counter-battery fire of the campaign. Throughout the day they caused the British no worry at all, only too [sic] heavy guns continued to fire, but these never found the British guns. Meanwhile, "S" Battery RHA (6 x 18-pounders) took up position on the British left.

The Turkish infantry approached the British left but were easily driven off. A large body of Arabs with six standards occupied "North Mound" and mounted attacks all day but these too were defeated. Meanwhile on the left a charge by 7th Lancers to clear away snipers was covered by "S" Battery, which, in turn, stopped a Turkish counter charge. Later this same battery held several infantry attacks from the south.'

Quoting from Melliss's letter again:

"I felt much at sea trying to get the hang of things in this huge camp and try to grasp the situation. Fortunately for me I made my way to where the 119th were holding part of the defences to enquire what they had been firing at so heavily and there I met old Chitty [Lt Col W W Chitty] who was commanding them. He took me to the top of what must have been an old Babylonian tower which stood near his part of the defences. The tower proved my good friend and was the cause of my good fortune. The whole situation lay before me, there were thousands of Turks and Arab riflemen on all three sides of us at a distance of 3/4 mile and nearer in some places, behind trenches in houses and holding sandy ridges they simply swarmed and there was the cavalry brigade coming out! It was too late I could not stop them; one cavalry regiment made a gallant charge against a body of the enemy on a sand hill with their standards stuck on the crest. They drove some of the Arabs before them and got into them with the lance but the fire was too hot on all sides and they had to fall back leaving a Major Wheeler and an Indian officer dead on the mound where the standards were, they had ridden most gallantly at it to seize the standards. The rest of the cavalry brigade was fired into from the flank and had to retire too."

More to come

Robert

Nick

Robert has done a good job of presenting what is available. He has been piecing this action for a few days. Besides the British official, I am unaware of any other detailed accounts of Shaiba.

One possible English source is C.C.R. Murphy’s ‘Soldiers of the Prophet’. He covers the early Mesopotamia campaign in some detail, but the book lacks maps. I will check my copy tonight. Erickson’s ‘Ordered to Die’ provides a general discussion of the battle (but no map).

I will check the Turkish official tonight to see what it states about Arabs attacking the Ottoman troops.

Jeff

The Marquess of Anglesey provides more details on the cavalry actions:

'A few charges were made, mainly against Arabs. The chief of them, on 13th April, against men dug in on a mound, is described by the Adjutant of the 7th:

"From the point when we left the brigade we came under heavy rifle fire: we had to gallop 1,000 yards over heavy ground and then we came to a large palm grove where the enemy were entrenched. They left the trenches in front of the grove and we got into them with the lance and galloped through the grove....

We did tremendous executions, and that was rather undoing as the men got too scattered amidst the trees - sticking the enemy, and were very hard to rally.

I hated the gallop to the palm grove, as it seemed so slow and rather unpleasant... I remember loosing my sword in an Arab, and dismounting on pulling it out of him.

We had a really impossible job, as we were infiladed, defiladed and every sort of fire on one - including shrapnel... We suffered considerably in horse flesh [loosing 81 horses]..."

At the head of the charge were Major G.G.M. Wheeler and Jemadar Sudham Singh. Both were killed while trying to capture an Arab standard. Wheeler received a posthumous VC and the Jemadar a posthumous Indian Order of Merit. That an unsupported mounted attack by only one weak squadron was made over unreconnoitred ground against trenches, when a whole brigade was present, tends to show perhaps that the commander was not very brilliant.'

Farndale picks up the story again:

'On 13th April at 1030 hours the British attacked "North Mound" to drive off the Arabs. Well supported by concentrated artillery fire they were successful in 30 minutes. The cavalry were watering their horses and were not available to take advantage but a section of "S" Battery was and it galloped up, dropped into action and did much execution amongst the Arabs. Next came a follow-up British counter-attack south-west from "North Mount [sic]". Well supported by accurate fire from the gunners at Shaiba, this attack carried Turkish positions at the point of the bayonet, beat off a counter-attack and captured two mountain guns.'

Meliss's account of this action by the infantry:

'I then sent for General Delamain and ordered him out with 3 battalions (I gave him the 24th Punjabis) to attack the mound and the house etc in its vicinity and I got up my CRA (an old friend Colonel Cleeve) on to the mound where we overlooked everything and told him to support the infantry with all the guns. From there we switched them on to any point we wished. It was as we just pounded them with shells and under cover of it the infantry advanced and captured the enemy's position and houses with little loss. The houses were blown up and over 90 dead were found on one mound called the north mound. The enemy had now begun to clear from the direction viz our north face, so I sent orders to continue the operation towards the west, pushing out the 119th, Norfolks and 48th Pioneers. We continued to shell the enemy hard and by 2 pm had driven him from the vicinity of the camp westwards and southwards, those advancing to their help from west and south were enfiladed by the latter regiments and many dreading to leave their trenches on account of the hot artillery fire directed on them stood up in their trenches and surrendered... The enemy who I had driven off were chiefly Arabs and there still remained the regular Turkish troops in the background.'

Lord Carver:

'During the quiet night that followed, Nixon suggested sending up the other two battalions of 30th Brigade, and Meliss decided to wait their arrival before resuming the attack.'

Farndale:

'The attack was continued on the 14th, this time to clear "South Mound" and then Old Basra . The force moved off at 0930 hours and the formation they adopted is interesting:

6th Cavalry Brigade, followed by 1/5 (H) Battery, then Dorsets & 24th Battalion; 117th and 119th Battalions; 23rd Mountain Battery, then on rear left flank 110th, 120th and Norfolks in echelon; and 63rd and 76th Batteries at the rear right.

The cavalry reported enemy advancing from the right at Barjisiya Wood then "S" Battery stopped them. The cavalry soon reached "Watch Tower" when a mass of enemy infantry approached from Barjisiya Wood. A section of "S" Battery was with the cavalry and it opened rapid fire on the attack which disintegrated. "South Mound" was quickly occupied. It then became clear that the main Turkish position extended some three miles along the eastern edge of Barijisya Wood. At 1130 hours an attack was launched. The guns were in action all around "South Mound" but because the Turks were on a reverse slope and the mirage was at its maximum, their fire was not as effective as it could have been. The British infantry suffered heavily as they came over the sky line. Accordingly, 63rd and 23rd Batteries were moved right forward to produce closer support. "...the force advanced towards 'South Mound'. In action almost at once in support of 16th Brigade. Halted one hour at 'South Mound'... battery then attached to 18th Brigade. Advanced towards Barjisiya Wood at 1130 hours, after about a mile came under very heavy infantry fire, into action at once and engaged enemy's trenches along east edge of wood at 2,600 yards. Enemy's rifle and machine gun fire very heavy... the day had been very hot and all suffered exceedingly from thirst, the Battery expended 711 rounds of shrapnel and suffered three officers and ten men wounded and two horses and 12 mules wounded" (War Diary 23rd Indian Mountain Battery). The gallant Major Edlmann died of his wounds later'.

More to come

Robert

Meliss again, regarding the infantry attack on the 14th:

'When I went out again early next morning to look out from my tower I thought I could see through my glasses some movement in the direction of Barjisiya Woods as if a retirement was commencing back to Nakheilah. These woods were a long belt of trees edging a sandy plain very difficult to define owing to the mirage. I thought I might miss an opportunity of hitting (the Turks) again if I waited so ordered all troops (except two battalions and 2 guns to guard the fort) and started out at 9 am to advance on the Barjisiya Woods. I first came on the outposts and drove them back easily but as I advanced against the woods I found the enemy entrenched along a front of nearly 4 miles and the rifle fire began to get very hot and then shells to fall amongst us. [W]e had a warmest time from shell and bullets. The fight lasted from 10.30 am to 5 pm. I never want to go through the anxiety of some of that time, reports came into me of heavy losses on all sides and doubt if further advance was possible.'

Farndale:

'Stalemate quickly set in, the heat became intense and exhaustion prevented any action. At 1530 hours, a new attack was to be mounted and the artillery pushed forward to "Watch Tower". It worked, by 1615 hours the Turkish front line trenches were occupied and their white flags appeared in the second line. Then a great mass fled westwards offering fine targets to the gunners whose only problem was shortage of ammunition. At this point, the Arabs, realising the Turks were beaten, turned on their former Allies. The British withdrew to Shaiba. The day was won, the cost was 1,062 casualties (161 killed).'

Back to Meliss, fretting and sweating on the hill:

'I had thrown in my last man into the fight - still it hung very doubtful. I could see through the mirage with difficulty movements of masses beyond the woods, probably the Kurds and Arabs but whether retreating or coming in was impossible to say. At last came a time when our gun ammunition was running out! There was nothing for it but to prepare plans for retiring... When to my joy a report came to me that the Dorsets and others had carried the enemy's first line of trenches some 900 [yards] in front of the wood and that they were on the run. Can you imagine how thankful I felt, but still decided not to make any further advance against the wood where I expected the enemy would probably have prepared a second position and would hold it, my men were exhausted, we had suffered great thirst and heavy casualties, gun ammunition running out...

It was dark some time before we got back, you may imagine my feelings, the heavy losses 14 British officers killed and nearly 40 wounded and the result uncertain though I felt I had hit them hard I did not sleep much that night wondering if I had been rash and foolish and had thrown away good brave fellows lives in vain. Well early next morning I sent out cavalry... and soon the joyful news came in that the enemy had fled leaving camp standing, arms, ammunition, gun and rifle 700000 rounds of the latter, clothing, even their cooked food untouched. It was a complete victory'

The final word to the Adjutant of the 7th Hariana Lancers Regiment:

'It was impossible to bury the horses and this climate won't stand that kind of thing. But the smells here are nothing to what they are in the Turkish camp, where really it was awful - the flies - myriads of them, and I should have been violently ill, only fortunately I was too hungry to be ill.'

Robert

I will check the Turkish official tonight to see what it states about Arabs attacking the Ottoman troops.

Jeff

Great to see you in the Forum.

It looks like the 35th Turkish Division did not attack Shaiba itself. Is it possible to check this when you consult the Turkish OH as well please?

Thanks

Robert

Does anyone know anything more about Major General Charles Melliss? I would be especially interested to know where he had seen action before 1914.

Thank you

Robert

In the Index of Contributors to Lord Carver's book, he mentions Mellis, Major General C. J., VC, 30th Indian Infantry Brigade [1967-02-91-25]. The numbers in square brackets are 'accession numbers of the papers from which extracts have been taken.' Presumably this is a coding system ?at the Royal Army Museum?

Robert

Nick,

The History of the Dorsetshire Regiment during the Great War obviously covers the 2nd Bns activities in this Battle in some detail. I don't have it to hand right now but can report back later if interested in it's scope?

Regards

Steve

Robert

The attack on the 12th of April was made by the majority of the Ottoman forces. The Mürrettep Irak Regiment was in the area of the North Mound but didn't seriously attack; the 104th Regiment attacked from the southwest against the SW side of Shaiba; the Itfaiye Regiment attacked the southern side; and the Mürrettep 1st Regiment attacked the SE side. The 105th was held in reserve in the hills to the SW. The Tribal Forces were split, part of which were on the North Mound, the other was on the right flank of the Mürrettep 1st Regiment. In effect, two regiments stayed back (Irak and 105th).

The fighting on the 13-14th found the Mürrettep Irak initially on the northern flank, but not really involved in the fight (having been pushed off the North Mound on the 13th). The main Ottoman position had (from NW to SE) 105th; 104th, Itfaiye; Mürrettep 1st Regt. Part of the Tribal force covered the flanks, but part had drawn off to the SE, where they were joined by the 1/26th Regiment.

Total strength of the Ottoman forces on the 12th was 9,000 + 2000 Tribal horsemen.

Murphy has a decent discussion of the action, but no maps. Erickson has just an overview. The official is still the best description I have read in English. I haven't found anything about the Arabs attacking the Ottoman forces, but my translation skills aren't the greatest. I will take a little more time to check.

Jeff

Robert,

I have been away from the board for a few days and I check back to see your excellent postings! They paint a fascinating picture for which I am most grateful. Once I have read them in greater detail I may have more comments, but for now many thanks!

Steve asked:

The History of the Dorsetshire Regiment during the Great War obviously covers the 2nd Bns activities in this Battle in some detail. I don't have it to hand right now but can report back later if interested in it's scope?

Steve, I'd be very grateful to know what you have about the Dorsets involvement in the inital actions - I understand that at one point early in the IEFD activities they were engaged in a desperate rearguard?

Nick

• 14 years later...

I am interested to know details about activity of the 104th at shaiba  on the 13th and 14th.    A103yo friend's uncle  captain F Chadwick was killed on the 14th  . Ii have a good photo of the officers on 13th celebrating a day in action with a pile captured Turkish guns and a flag . The day before several of them were killed .   Roger 

Mate,

I show these details on the Ottoman Forces during this time;

Müretteb Division            Mürettep Irak Regt + MG Co  Itfaiye (2x Bn's Constantinople Fire Brigade) Regt     LtCol Ali Bey    Also known as Müretteb or Mürattep Div (turkish word meaning Composite) 2xBn's *2nd & 4th Bn's Constantinople Fire Brigade + possibly Persian (Iraq) Milita Sahrica Müfrezesi Jandarma - Maj Hakki renamed Satra Regt - Maj Ata   - Iraq tribesman - Ucemi or Acumi Sadun Pasa & Ajaimi Bey disbanded to 35th and 38th Div's after first Battle Kut reported Fire Brigade lost heavy at Shaiba or Suayyibe 12/14-4-15 and at Amara 6-15 at Nasiriya 12/23-7-15 at battle of Ctesiphon 22-11-15    Mürettep Arty Bn    3xBtys        Cav det

Asirat Kuvvetleri (Tribal Forces)    Acemi Bey - Abdullah Falih - Sadak and Ziya Bey     Asirat Kuvvetleri (Tribal Forces) 2000 men at the Battle of Shaiba or Suayyibe 12/14-4-15 at 1st Rota (Ruta) or Amara Battle on 31-5-15 at Nasiriya 12/23-7-15 at battle of Ctesiphon 22-11-15 (possibly 2000 men)

35th Division (Mosul )    Rezzak Bey or Maj Riza Bey (shown Mehmet Fazil Pasa 1-15 to  Maj Hamdi Bey to  LtCol Namik Bey to  LtCol Mahmut Bey to   LtCol Abdurrezzak Bey        

1-3/103rd Regt                            

1-3/104th Regt                                  

1-3/105th Regt    

Known Regt commanders

104th Regt - Maj Sadik Bey

Composed 1st Reg - Maj Ali Bey

Composed 2nd Reg - Capt Hafiz Hamdi Bey   (possibly)                                      

Composed 3rd Regt - Capt Hasan Sami Bey     (possibly) 

shown Mar 1915 British reports - LtGen Dagistanli Mehmet Fazil Pasha possibly 35th Div (8000 men) - shown April 1915 Turkish reports - (7000 men) 31st Cav Regt Eng Co 2xBn/104th Regt 2xBn/105th Regt (2xBns Fire Bde Regt under Ali Bey + Osmanjik Bn + 2Bn's mixed 38th Div) shown Mürrettep Irak Regt (reported 2000 tribesman (Asirat Kuvvetleri) from Acemi Bey, Abdullah Falih, Sadak and Ziya Bey) at Shaiba or Suayyibe 12/14-4-15 and 1st Rota (Ruta) or Amara Battle on 31-5-15 shown June 1915 in British reports -surrendered at Amara 1Bn/Fire Bde - reported Ahmed Bey & 4000 men + 15 guns in figthing at Nasiriya 12/23-7-15 - fighting at Suwada & 1st Kut 28-9-15 (possibly 2000 men) - at battle of Ctesiphon 22-11-15 (3xBn/103rd Regt 2xBn/104th Regt 2xBn/105th Regt 3800 men) at Delabiha (Britsh called Umm at Tubul) 30-11-15 - shown (35th Div + Cav Bde + Arab Cav) battle at Shaikh Saad & 1st Hanna and 2nd Hanna (attempt relief Kut) 12/20-1-16 at Sabis or Es Sinn (3000 men attempt relief Kut) 8-3-16 at Turkish records 2 & 3rd Felahiye battles (6/9-4-16) or Fallahiya & Sannaiyat (attempt relief Kut) 5-4-16 at Beytisa or Abu Rumman (attempt relief Kut) (April 17-19) dissolved May 1916 reformed as 35th Caucasus Regt (to 12th Caucasus Division?)     

35th Artillery Regt    1/35th FA bty – (4 x 75mm QF) 2/35th FA bty – (4 x 75mm QF) 1M/35th Mountain Bty (4 x 75mm)    shown OOB Dec 1914 35th FAR 37th FAR (7xBtys each 4x 70mm guns) - shown April 1915 Turkish reports - 2xMountain Btys/34th FAR (12 guns) 2x105mm How - 38th FAR (2x mountain guns 2x 105mm How) 3x FA Btys + 4x Mountain Btys 1916     

35th Eng Co reported 12th Corps Troops 1xSqn 33rd Cav Regt + 31st Cav Regt    

02.08.14 Musul 06.09.14 zü'l Âb __.09.14 Tel Uveynât __.10.14 Tel el Hayâl __.10.14 Çillaga __.11.14 Nusaybin __.11.14 Ras el Ayn 23.11.14 Haleb Stn 03.12.14 Ras el Ayn 08.12.14 Nusaybin 13.12.14 Çillaga 17.12.14 Tel el Hayal 21.12.14 Tel Uveynât 27.12.14 zü'l Âb 10.01.15 Musul 15.01.15 Bagdad __.01.15 Divâniye 10.02.15 Nâsiriye 28.03.15 Hamîsiye 25.04.15 Nâsiriye 15.06.15 Küt el Ammâre 30.06.15 Nâsiriye 24.07.15 Satra 27.07.15 || (de-comissioned re-comissioned 01.09.15 Küt el Ammâre 28.09.15 Azîziye 01.10.15 Selman i Pak 28.11.15 Azîziye 01.12.15 investing Küt el Ammâre 06.12.15 Seyh Said 22.01.16 Beyt el Îsâ 27.02.16 Sin 17.04.16 Beyt el Îsâ 27.05.16 || (de-comissioned

38th Division (Basra)    reported LtCol Cavit Bey (Erdelhun) 8-14 to 1-15 no record? ) & shown Col Suphi Bey PoW 9-12-14 at Kurna (Qurna) died as PoW (reported LtCol Süleyman Askeri Bey 11-14 WIA 12-4-15 at Shaiba or Suayyibe suicide soon after (to LtCol Ali Bey (Çetinkaya) 4-15 to Col Nurettin Bey (Sakalli) 5-15) to Refik Bey 6-15? to LtCol Halil Rustu or Rushdi Bey? 1916 to LtCol Rifat Bey    

CofS Maj Adil Bey 4-15     

1-3/112th Regt                            

1-3/113th Regt  (113rd MG Co?)                                    

1-3/114th Regt                            

1Bn/26th Regt    

Known Regt commanders

112th Regt - Maj Jellal Bey                        

113th Regt - Maj Adil Bey (possibly)  

114th Regt - Maj Salih Bey      

1Bn/26th Regt - Maj Halim Bey &      

1st Comp Regt - Capt Uskudarli Cemil KIA 20-1-15 to Maj Halim Bey                

2nd Comp Regt - Maj Abdulhalim formed 12-14 to Maj Seyfullah Bey    

Garrision Basra 1914 - fighting at Saihan & Sahil Nov 1914 - Subhi Bey PoW 9-12-14 at Kurna (Qurna) commanded at Basra 22-11-14 reports LtCol Ali Bey at Nasiriye 1915 (2xBns (400 men each) (2xBns Fire Bde Regt 1000 men each) Sqn/Cav 8 guns around Jan/Feb 1915 shown Turkish OOB Dec 1914 - (2xBns Fire Bde Regt under Ali Bey + Osmanjik Bn + Bagadad Jandarma Bn + 2Bn's mixed 38th Div) + (1&2Bn/113th Regt and 2Bn/112th Regt) + Basra Jandarma Bn + 1Bn/26th Regt reformed as Muretteb Bn - Maj Halim (det from 9th Div 8-14) with Osmanjik Bn 3-15 Persian (Iraq) Milita Sahrica Müfrezesi Jandarma - Maj Hakki renamed Satra Regt - Maj Ata - Iraq tribesman - Ucemi or Acumi Sadun Pasa & Ajaimi Bey - at Shaiba or Suayyibe 12/14-4-15 shown Nov 1914 Allied reports - at Basra 1Bn/26th Regt & Bn/112th Regt - at Zubair Bn/112th Regt - at Fao Hor Abdillah 113th Regt & 114th Regt + local Jandarma - 1st Comp Regt at 1st Rota (Ruta) or Amara Battle on 31-5-15 - fighting at Suwada & 1st Kut 28-9-15 (5000 men 19 guns) - at battle of Ctesiphon 22-11-15 at Delabiha (Britsh called Umm at Tubul) 30-11-15 & battle at Shaikh Saad & 1st Hanna and 2nd Hanna (attempt relief Kut) 12/20-1-16 at Sabis or Es Sinn (attempt relief Kut) 8-3-16 (Turkish accounts dont show this Div after Jan 1916 disbanded into 35th Div) - shown Feb 1917 Allied reports - (112th Regt 113th Regt 114th Regt (3199 men)    

38th Artillery Regt - Capt Kemal     unknown older 75mm guns    2x FA Btys + 3x Mountain Btys    local Iraq Arab Cav levies     

02.08.14 Basrâ 20.11.14 Kurna 09.12.14 || (surrendered - re-comissioned ](the former Iraq Regional General Command 15.06.15 Küt el Ammâre 09.07.15 Fâdiye 11.07.15 Alî es Sarkî 17.07.15 Ali el Garbî 25.07.15 Küt el Ammâre 26.09.15 Makassis 28.09.15 Felâhiye 29.10.15 Selmân i Pak 28.11.15 Azîziye 03.12.15 investing Küt el Ammâre 06.12.15 Beyt er Resîd 03.01.16 || (de-comissioned whilst remaining units joined the 35. Infantry Division

S.B

Edited by stevebecker