Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

James Ezra Smalley

nomis$60

James Ezra Smalley was a Corporal killed in action on 26 September 1918.

I am researching the individual and have visited his grave at Guards Cemetery, Windy Corner, Cuinchy

He was awarded the Military Medal but I can find no record of it in the London Gazette.

Can anyone explain why it is not published in the gazette?

Sometimes his initials are E J Smalley as on the Medal Index Card.

My hobby is buying medals and researching individual soldiers and if possible relating their part to the tactical (unit level) and wider picture.

I do not do this for any financial gain much more out of respect for the individual. and their comrades.

The attachment is what I have learnt about Cpl Smalley to date. I visited his grave on 24 April 2018.

I would be grateful if anyone can fill in any details on his Military Medal award as I keep hitting a blank.

Cpl_J_E_Smalley_MM_L'pool_R.pdf

Hi nomis$60,

It appears that he was attached to 165 Bde MGCoy when he 'won' his MM'.

image.png.1597e79ea74dc42fb18d518d45ca6cd5.png

Image source: Findmypast - Britain, Campaign, Gallantry & Long Service Medals & Awards

The 'concentration' sheet in his CWGC records indicate that he was originally buried at trench map reference (sheet 36) S23.b.9.9.Link to a map (with modern landscape blend view) from December 1917.

1911 census link on Ancestry.

Regards

Chris

Soldiers Died in the Great War adds that he was formerly Welsh Regt

Ezra James Smalley   (in that order)

Born  Liverpool

Enlisted  Manchester

Place of Residence  Manchester

Service Number   44505 Formerly 40468

Rank             Corporal

Cause of Death            Killed In Action

Place of Death          France & Flanders

Decoration             M.M.

Date of Death           26th September 1918

Regiment              King's (Liverpool Regiment), 6th Battalion          Formerly Welsh Regiment

Following up Charlie962's post.  It is pretty clear from the place/date of burial that he was at that time with 1/6th King's whose diary places them exactly in the area east of Festubert and who lost 6 men killed that day, all of whom were initially buried in the area of S 29/S 30.

Neither his medal card or the medal roll mention the MGC.  

I find nothing obvious in the 165 MG Coy diary for the few months prior to the Jan 1918 award.

For what it is worth.

Max

Presumably he was temporarily attached to 165 MGC Coy rather than posted. Hence no MGC number. Since both 165 MGC Co and 6th Kings L'pool were same 165 Bde then without a service record it becomes a bit difficult to say which unit he was with when.

Charlie

20 minutes ago, charlie962 said:

Presumably he was temporarily attached to 165 MGC Coy rather than posted. Hence no MGC number. Since both 165 MGC Co and 6th Kings L'pool were same 165 Bde then without a service record it becomes a bit difficult to say which unit he was with when.

Charlie

Certainly not an uncommon occurrence.

Craig

Very many thanks for your assistance.

I have learnt a lot of additional information about Cpl J E Smalley MM L'pool R today.

I will be able to progress my research.

I assume information on what he won the Military Medal for is lost in time.

Many thanks again.

12 minutes ago, nomis$60 said:

I assume information on what he won the Military Medal for is lost in time.

Always a problem with MMs.  Local papers are the best source. Since he came from Cheetham, Manchester papers may have something ?

A quick search on FMP newspapers only seems to produce this hit relevant to his death. (excuse optical recognition errors)

2106394376_SmalleyJEobit.JPG.4e85fe69735f0e11addf7829161f213e.JPG

Charlie

Charlie,

please excuse my lack of knowledge but what are“optical recognition errors “?

Could “British Wnunghnse” be British Westinghouse based at “Trsgorg Park” (Trafford Park)?

For those without local knowledge, Westinghouse Lane still exists and is close to Old Trafford football ground, therefore still not in Manchester! Blue Moon,

Simon

5 minutes ago, mancpal said:

“optical recognition errors “?

I may have used wrong term. I mean that FMP have used a computer to read the text and it often squirts out a certain amount of rubbish. You need to look at the original newspaper article which will be legible. Without a subscription I can do the search but not go to the next level down, the actual article.

Edited by charlie962

Charlie,

please don’t take my flippancy to heart. However, you say “often squirts out a certain amount of rubbish “, this brings me back to my last post about a certain footy club near Mcr.

sorry for interrupting thread and I’ll now keep my lips shut .

The Westinghouse reference belongs to the paragraph before Smalley's.  The actual article gives his name, address and date of death and says "he was a partner of Messrs J and A Smalley, paper merchants, Manchester.  He is one of a number under the heading "Fallen Fighters".  There is also a photograph.

Max

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

I research soldiers of the King's (Liverpool Regiment)

There is a book due out on the Liverpool Rifles which may have more information

• 1 year later...

I have the book and now a lot of extensive research on my Great Uncle.

Unfortunately some 30 odd years ago his medals were stolen from his nephews home and now sadly lost to us. I spend a lot of time searching for them in the hope of buying them back. 

If you are by any chance the now owner  of his medals would you be so kind as to let me have some pictures of them showing the inscriptions. I would be thrilled and indebted to you.

Many Thanks 

Louise Smalley

• Admin

Welcome to the forum; nomis hasn't logged into the forum this year. You can send them a private message to try and contact them.

Michelle