Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Four WW1 Soldiers

nomis$60

Please can anyone assist identifying the regiments of the four soldiers in this photograph.

I have some knowledge but not enough to complete the identification.

I would be grateful for any additional information. 

Standing - I have no idea

Seated Left - right arm badge appears to be an early tank. Royal Tank Corps?

Seated Centre - Royal Flying Corps? Flight Sergeant?

Seated Right - The King's (Liverpool Regiment). Wound badge on left cuff? 

Four_WW1_Soldiers.JPG

The man seated left appears to be a qualified Wheeler (wheel badge, right arm) with the Royal Engineers Signal Service( armband/ brassard) attached to the Tank Corps. He also has a wound badge. 

Any details on the back of the photo 

as i think the 2 Soldiers of the right have been pasted in. 

As the headdress of the soldier standing, suddenly stops at the dark line. 

The Royal Flying Corp Serjeant right ear as you look at the photo does not seem to be right.

• Admin
5 minutes ago, Cheshire22 said:

Any details on the back of the photo 

as i think the 2 Soldiers of the right have been pasted in. 

As the headdress of the soldier standing, suddenly stops at the dark line. 

The Royal Flying Corp Serjeant right ear as you look at the photo does not seem to be right.

Good spot, and the quality of the print is different for them as well. Manchesters or maybe Scots Greys for  the man standing? 

Michelle 

I think that only the standing man has been pasted in?

You can see a small area of leaded window next to the cheek of the KLR man.

BillyH.

Left is Tank Corps, you can see the tank on his cap badge, second from left is Royal Flying Corps, standing second from right is Manchester Regiment, and right seated Kings Liverpool Regiment. And I agree, the chap standing does appear to be added to the photo, he looks too big, and doesn't fit into the photo at all, yea, good spot that!

Chris

Edited by Dragoon

Left arm of the chap at the back appears to be in front of the cap of the seated chap. 

It would be fascinating to know the reason for the addition. Friends, family? 

The RFC SNCO is a Sergeant rather than a Flight Sergeant.  

My guess is is that the group shows a father (RFC) and his three sons.  

405F3C27-6826-4620-AA60-FE9AB0412C74.jpeg

I agree, definitely a composite photograph, the two on the right have been added in, and it looks to be scissors "cut and paste" and not "photoshopped" IMO.

The physical likenesses also suggest to me it has been put together as a family group as noted above.

Interesting group, though.

Any chance of a zoom in on the Tank Corps chap's shoulder title please, doesn't look like TC?

Cheers

Chris 

The man standing has definitely been "Cut & Pasted".

His face is illuminated from his Right, whereas the others' faces are illuminated from their left.

Additionally , a portion of his cap brim disappears behind the window frame behind him.

The KLR man could be original, but the elbow of the RFC man seems rather high compared to his.

Hi, 

when i first looked at it, my thoughts that it was a father and his 3 sons. 

Hence my question about any on the back of the photo

Very many thanks for your help. Yes the photograph appeared to have been pasted but I have no more information.

The soldier on the right is I believe Private Rufus Caine The King's (Liverpool Regiment). Please see attachment.

I am slightly confused as he appears to have joined the 1/6 Bn and then transferred to 1 Bn with whom he was killed.

So I assumed it is appropriate he wears the King's badge and not the Liverpool Rifles badge.

I recently purchased the medals of Rufus Caine. My interest is in researching him out of respect for his sacrifice.

Any information would be most welcome. At some point I would hope to visit his grave and pay my respects.

The man on the left may be Pte Cyril Caine Royal Tank Corps (ex Cheshire Regiment).

I have never researched an RFC (RAF) individual and would not know were to begin.

Many thanks again for your feedback.

Pte_R_Caine_L'pool_R.pdf

1 hour ago, nomis$60 said:

Very many thanks for your help. Yes the photograph appeared to have been pasted but I have no more information.

The soldier on the right is I believe Private Rufus Caine The King's (Liverpool Regiment). Please see attachment.

I am slightly confused as he appears to have joined the 1/6 Bn and then transferred to 1 Bn with whom he was killed.

So I assumed it is appropriate he wears the King's badge and not the Liverpool Rifles badge.

I recently purchased the medals of Rufus Caine. My interest is in researching him out of respect for his sacrifice.

Any information would be most welcome. At some point I would hope to visit his grave and pay my respects.

The man on the left may be Pte Cyril Caine Royal Tank Corps (ex Cheshire Regiment).

I have never researched an RFC (RAF) individual and would not know were to begin.

Many thanks again for your feedback.

Pte_R_Caine_L'pool_R.pdf

Cyril and Rufus had a few brothers - Zenoah, Jasper, Risigari (could just be a mangled transcription on the last one).

Jasper was in the RFC.
https://search.findmypast.co.uk/record?id=GBM%2FAIR79%2F352%2F00120&parentid=GBM%2FAIR79%2F263798

Craig

23 minutes ago, ss002d6252 said:

Cyril and Rufus had a few brothers - Zenoah, Jasper, Risigari (could just be a mangled transcription on the last one).

Risegari according to Free BMD, but written as Risigari in the 1901 census in Oldham.

An unusual collection of christian names for sure.

Edit: Several 'Risegari' (Surname) births in the Chorlton Reg District between 1870and 1927, but I can't immediately link those families to the Caines of Oldham.

Edited by Dai Bach y Sowldiwr