Jump to content
Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Corybom

Arthur George Pope

Recommended Posts

Corybom

Hi All,

 

With it being 100 years since the year of his death I have for the first time taken the steps into finding out who my Great Grandfather was. I am currently in arras and have paid my respects to yet another incredible soldier of the Great War. But it has left me with a complete sense of intrigue as I know most of you must feel. All I know is that my grandad never knew his father but that he was a member of the Kings Shropshire Light Infantry. As I know it he made a career of it joining up and serving even before the Great War. He was also wounded and then returned. I suppose I just want to know a bit more about this great man and am wondering if anyone might know how I might find out more information about him and about the KSIL what did they do etc.. most places I look seem to want money for little return of info so is there anywhere people would suggest to look? Hope you can help.

 

Cory

Great Grand Son of the Great Serjeant Arthur George Pope.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Corybom

I do believe he served in the 7th Bn of the KSLI

 

8200 number

Edited by Corybom

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
aim

Welcome to the forum!

 

The first thing to do is hit the LONG LONG TRAIL button near the top of the screen. This will lead you to lots of information about how to research an old soldier &/or a regiment.

 

When you have digested that lot you may need to return to this thread and, if possible, give his army number(s) (found on his medals if you've got them), his place/date of birth and any other information you may have.

 

I hope you are successful in your search,

 

aim

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Corybom

I know he was born in 1887 and died on 21/08/1918 I would love to know how and where he died. I have been today to his grave which was in Bucquoy. 

 

His service number was 8200

 

he served in the 7th KSLI and May have been in volume 3 of the de ruvignys roll of honour if anyone can enlighten me to as what that was? I don’t know if any medals but do know that he was a serjeant. I also know he had a brother who died also but no Idea of any information about him not even a name :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mark1959

There is an Arthur George Pope named in de Ruvigny’s with pic(poor). Also there are 2 brothers also killed. All 3 are from a family that lived in Penygraig. family originally from Bridgwater area. The biography of AGP there gives his sons names as Arthur William and Donhold. His number 8200.

De Ruvigny’s was a private roll of Honour that was originally intended to be a Roll of those that lost their lives. The massive numbers meant this was impossible. The 5 volumes contain, I believe, about 25000 biographies.

are you sure this is your GGF? What evidence do you have to prove it?

it would seem the lost Pope boys had a cousin George Conduit living in the family home with the Popes’  parents in 1911. He also perished in 1918.

So the others are

Frank KIA 7/6/17, Royal Fusiliers. Ypres. Menin Gate memorial.

Arthur William Henry  KIA 14/11/17. Welsh Regiment. Salonika. Doiran Military Cemetary

George Conduit. KIA 18/4/18. Royal Welsh Fusiliers. Tyne Cot Memorial.

All these later 3 were living at 25 Mikado St, Penygraig in 1911

What can one say?

 

Edited by Mark1959

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Corybom

My Grandfather is Arthur William Pope, and his brother my mothers uncle was Don (Donald) in his diary he wrote that his father was called Arthur George and that he and his brother were killed in ww1 and that he had no memory of him so interesting that there was more than one... my grandfather was wounded in ww2. The information you have just given from the information I have I’m sure this would certainly be him. From what I understand he was born in Somerset and then moved to  tonypandy. That information is wonderful thank you Mark. Interesting that his brother AW’s cemetary is in Greece? 

 

Arthur George served even before ww1 would there be any records on him before the war somewhere do you think? Would there be any way of knowing what medals he might have obtained throughout his career?

 

thank you

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ss002d6252

#8200 Arthur George Pope had his monies paid to his widow, Seporah (later using the surname Griffiths, married to Phillip J).

 

Craig

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
helpjpl

The Roll of Honour: A Biographical Record of all Members of His Majesty's Naval and Military Forces who have Fallen in the War by The Marquis de Ruvigny.

Volume 3, page 219:

https://archive.org/stream/rollofhonourbiog02ruvi#page/218  (You can zoom in)

 

JP

Arthur George Pope.jpg

Edited by helpjpl
To add image

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jim Strawbridge
12 hours ago, Corybom said:

Hi All,

 

With it being 100 years since the year of his death I have for the first time taken the steps into finding out who my Great Grandfather was. I am currently in arras and have paid my respects to yet another incredible soldier of the Great War. But it has left me with a complete sense of intrigue as I know most of you must feel. All I know is that my grandad never knew his father but that he was a member of the Kings Shropshire Light Infantry. As I know it he made a career of it joining up and serving even before the Great War. He was also wounded and then returned. I suppose I just want to know a bit more about this great man and am wondering if anyone might know how I might find out more information about him and about the KSIL what did they do etc.. most places I look seem to want money for little return of info so is there anywhere people would suggest to look? Hope you can help.

 

Cory

Great Grand Son of the Great Serjeant Arthur George Pope.

 

I have some good news and some bad news. My mother's maiden name was Pope and so for the past 20 odd years I have been collecting medals named to Pope. I have your great grandfather's British War Medal. It is named :-  8200 SJT. A.G. POPE. SHROPS.L.I.  The bad news is that it forms part of my collection and I am not ready to let it go. BUT if you message me your name and postal address I would be happy to place the details with the medal so that it eventually comes home to you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Corybom

This is amazing! Have goosebumps just knowing that his medal is out there. Sorry I’m new to this forum is there a way of private messaging you my details or can I grab an email address for you. 

 

Thanks

cory

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Corybom
3 hours ago, helpjpl said:

The Roll of Honour: A Biographical Record of all Members of His Majesty's Naval and Military Forces who have Fallen in the War by The Marquis de Ruvigny.

Volume 3, page 219:

https://archive.org/stream/rollofhonourbiog02ruvi#page/218  (You can zoom in)

 

JP

Arthur George Pope.jpg

This is the photo we have of him thank you for this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jim Strawbridge
18 minutes ago, Corybom said:

This is amazing! Have goosebumps just knowing that his medal is out there. Sorry I’m new to this forum is there a way of private messaging you my details or can I grab an email address for you. 

 

Thanks

cory

 

For others, looking, we are in contact privately through the messaging service.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Corybom
4 minutes ago, Jim Strawbridge said:

 

For others, looking, we are in contact privately through the messaging service.

Thanks Jim just worked out how to do it 👍

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Donald J Pope
21 hours ago, Jim Strawbridge said:

 

For others, looking, we are in contact privately through the messaging service.

Hi my name is Don pope you have been speaking with my nephew cory Bombera, Arthur George Pope was my grandfather, my father was his son, I am so pleased to know that my grandfathers medal is out there, it is only a few years ago that we found his picture, to be able to put a face to his name was such a special moment for us, Thank you so much for saying you would put my details with the medal, it will be an honour to be able to have it home with us one day. I hope you don't mind me asking but do you think you would be able to send a photo of the medal to us, either through this messaging service or post, I would reimburse you any postage, I would so appreciate it, we also found his brothers too who also lost their lives, such very sad times.  Again thank you so much it means so much to know they still exist.

Edited by Michelle Young
Address removed

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jrmh

15 hours ago, Corybom said:

I would love to know how and where he died.

 

 

Body was found map reference 57C A.16 b.2.3

 

https://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/179300/pope,-/

 

7th Battalion War Diary available here:

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C7352075

Edited by Jrmh
Battalion Number

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jrmh
Bean tool

Maybe I'm speaking out of turn, maybe I'm being naive, but surely the medal should be placed back in the hands of the family if they wish to purchase it? I know there's no legal obligation to do so but morally it just doesn't sit right with me. I collect postcards and would be more than happy to hand over a card to the family it relates to if they wanted it. I also understand the argument that the family must have sold it originally so fair game but I believe we should be custodians of these items we collect until a/if a time comes when morally they do not belong to us. I apologise if this offends anyone, it really isn't my intention. 

 

Cheers all

Dan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Corybom
2 hours ago, Jrmh said:

15 hours ago, Corybom said:

I would love to know how and where he died.

 

 

Body was found map reference 57C A.16 b.2.3

 

https://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/179300/pope,-/

 

Battalion War Diary available here:

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C14017179

Wish I would of found this forum a long time ago! This is amazing thank you, ensures that I come back to try and find this now. Thank you

1 hour ago, Jrmh said:

I will get the account for this when I return to England but again thank you for the resource hugely appreciated 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jrmh

You’re welcome.

 

Good luck.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jim Strawbridge
2 hours ago, Bean tool said:

Maybe I'm speaking out of turn, maybe I'm being naive, but surely the medal should be placed back in the hands of the family if they wish to purchase it? I know there's no legal obligation to do so but morally it just doesn't sit right with me. I collect postcards and would be more than happy to hand over a card to the family it relates to if they wanted it. I also understand the argument that the family must have sold it originally so fair game but I believe we should be custodians of these items we collect until a/if a time comes when morally they do not belong to us. I apologise if this offends anyone, it really isn't my intention. 

 

Cheers all

Dan

 

This was the very reason why I was hesitant in mentioning it. I could have just kept quiet. And will do so in the future if it becomes an issue. As it is I have offered to get it back to them eventually and they seem happy with that. So please do not ramp it up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jim Strawbridge
On 10/08/2018 at 14:21, Donald J Pope said:

Hi my name is Don pope you have been speaking with my nephew cory Bombera, Arthur George Pope was my grandfather, my father was his son, I am so pleased to know that my grandfathers medal is out there, it is only a few years ago that we found his picture, to be able to put a face to his name was such a special moment for us, Thank you so much for saying you would put my details with the medal, it will be an honour to be able to have it home with us one day. I hope you don't mind me asking but do you think you would be able to send a photo of the medal to us, either through this messaging service or post, I would reimburse you any postage, I would so appreciate it, we also found his brothers too who also lost their lives, such very sad times.  Again thank you so much it means so much to know they still exist.

 

Donald, I have been in contact with Cory and it is his name and address that I have currently placed with the medal. I suggest that you and he decide amicably between you whose name and address is appropriate. May I also suggest that you go back to your post and edit it to remove your name and address. Those nasty computer webmasters can trawl the internet and suck up that type of information for selling on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
helpjpl
16 hours ago, Jrmh said:

 

Body was found map reference 57C A.16 b.2.3

 

https://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/179300/pope,-/

 

Battalion War Diary available here:

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C14017179

 

Wasn't Arthur George Pope serving with the 7th Battalion when he was KIA on 21-08-1918 and buried at Bucquoy Road Cemetery, Ficheux?

According to its War Diary the 1st Battalion was not in the area.

 

On 20 August 1918 the 7th Battalion was at Monchy au Bois and moved up to positions East of Adinfer Wood at 9pm. Assembly positions were reached at 11.00pm and the battalion had a hot meal and stores were issued.

 

On 21 August the 7th Battalion went into action at 04.55am - its objective being the ARRAS-BAPAUME Railway(?) between the level crossing and SUNKEN RD. AYETTE and DOUCHY are mentioned as is AERODROME TRENCH and COFFEE REDOUBT.

 

7th Battalion War Diary (edit):

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C7352075 - and on genealogy site ancestry.

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/90acff72-3b36-4a5a-a05b-09028f3a53b8

 

7th Battalion 20-24 August 1918:

http://menonthegates.org.uk/men_front/100-days-somme-ayettecourcelles-le-comte-7-bn-kings-shropshire-light-infantry-23-august-1918/

Click on map to enlarge. Shows Aerodrome Trench and Coffee Redoubt.

 

JP

Edited by helpjpl
7th Battalion War Diary

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Bean tool
55 minutes ago, Jim Strawbridge said:

 

This was the very reason why I was hesitant in mentioning it. I could have just kept quiet. And will do so in the future if it becomes an issue. As it is I have offered to get it back to them eventually and they seem happy with that. So please do not ramp it up.

Not trying to 'ramp it up' Jim. Just stating my opinion on a public forum.

 

Dan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×