bootneck

Dan

According to the IWM list they also have

F Bennett

H Ellingham

A Jones

G Russell

W Webb

Just a thought have you tried the TGWU to see what they might hold in their archives?

Bootneck

DanMorris1989
3 minutes ago, bootneck said:

Dan

According to the IWM list they also have

F Bennett

H Ellingham

A Jones

G Russell

W Webb

Just a thought have you tried the TGWU to see what they might hold in their archives?

Bootneck

Yes they are the Hounslow boys ... I have informed about those 5 chaps 

bootneck

Dan

Sorry, I was having a dense moment. I see that they are all mentioned as Hounslow Depot on the Middlesex FHS article.

I am sure that you aware of the Teddington Society's work on local war memorials on their website.

Bootneck 

Edited by bootneck

DavidOwen

Dan

For F Cheney there are 4 ww1 casualties, one jumps out somewhat

Frederick Aubrey Cheney 86816 Pioneer 145th Army Troops Company, Royal Engineers DoD 21/12/1915 Son of James and Agnes Cheney, Lambeth, London

Others are 

L/Cpl F Cheney 44807 39th Bn MGC (no other info)

Private Frederick Cheney 5111 3rd Bn Royal Fusiliers - but parents lived in Dorset

Rifleman Frederick William Cheney B/3489 8th Bn Rifle Brigade (no other info)

Regards

David

PRC
9 hours ago, DanMorris1989 said:

I have got most of them but the ones I'm struggling to find are as follows.

H Blake

F Cheney 

J Ensome

T Hickey 

F Millham (think this could be A T Milam of Hampton Hill)

A Newman 

And finally 

T Thorpe (could be M H Thorpe according to a friend researching who lived around Teddington at the time and was killed) 

On the 1911 Census there are a couple of suspects.

There is a 26 year old Frederick Chenery, (or possible Cheney or even Chinery as the family name is spelt on the 1891 census), a Tram Car Conductor for London United Trams, who was recorded as the married head of the household at 25 School Lane, Hounslow. He lives there with his wife of two years, Alice, aged 24 and born Brentford. The couple haven't had any kids so far. I can find Frederick, (as Fred), on the 1901 census, but not on the 1891 census. There is a gap in the children's ages where a 6 year old Frederick ought to be. Similarly I can't find a likely birth for Frederick in the period 1885 +/- 2 years in the Thetford District. A possible explanation lies in the information for his father Charles on the 1911 census - he has been married to his wife Harriett for 24 years. So Frederick was either Charles' son by his first wife brought up potentially by others, or he was Harriett's son by another marriage \ relationship. Both scenario's open up the possibility he saw service under another name.

The other is a Charles William Newman, aged 31 and from Lanport, Southampton, who was also a married Tram Car Conductor for London United. He was living at 16 Hanworth Road, Hounslow with his wife Minnie Maud, (aged 26, born Oxford) and their two children.

Cheers,

Peter

DanMorris1989

Thank you for looking chaps ... PRC as much as I'd love it to be those too as the info is almost 100% I did delve more and found that your F. Cherney was at Hounslow Depot and left around 1913/14 moved to Leyton and served in the war with the Military Mounted Police ... he died in 1973.

I thought you'd hit the nail on the head with Cherney. Seemed so spot on.

Funnily enough found F Cherney and your man Charles Newman both living in Cecil Road opposite the Hounslow Garage in 1912.

I say though the Hanworth Road is heading more towards Hampton way so could be worth looking at C W Newman some more.

Hopefully heading to see the LUET Staff Records in a few weeks so hopefully I'll get some answers there.

I'm think maybe do a year range of 1911-1919?

DanMorris1989

So it appears (after speaking with a guy who actually ran the TGWU Club) that the memorial on the wall isn't this original ... there was a proper copy somewhere but was redone by someone due to sunlight fading ... I'm wondering if the original is underneath????

Dan

johnboy

Map of routes

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/London_United_Tramways#/media/File:London_United_Tramways_Map.JPG

Men could have been employed from anywhere close to routes, Not all were neccessarily drivers or conductors. They probably employed cleaners, mechanics . upholsterers track maintenance staff

corisande
14 hours ago, DanMorris1989 said:

I'm wondering if the original is underneath????

How about on the back?

DanMorris1989

I had suspected J Heath to be the same J R Heath as ...

Gunner HEATH, J R

Service Number 147795

Died 06/10/1917

Aged 26

393rd Siege Bty. 
Royal Garrison Artillery

Son of John Joseph and Patron Heath; husband of Rose Heath, of 8, Windmill Rd., Hampton Hill, Middlesex.

My hunch was correct and confirmed by ordering Gilbert''s 1914 Birth record ... I really feel for Mrs Rose Heath ... John (husband) KiA with the Artillery during ww1 and only child Gilbert Reginald KiA during WW2 ... how awful.

Dan

2018-08-14 10.00.03.jpg

Provost
On 12/08/2018 at 09:35, DanMorris1989 said:

Thank you for looking chaps ... PRC as much as I'd love it to be those too as the info is almost 100% I did delve more and found that your F. Cherney was at Hounslow Depot and left around 1913/14 moved to Leyton and served in the war with the Military Mounted Police ... he died in 1973.

I thought you'd hit the nail on the head with Cherney. Seemed so spot on.

Funnily enough found F Cherney and your man Charles Newman both living in Cecil Road opposite the Hounslow Garage in 1912.

I say though the Hanworth Road is heading more towards Hampton way so could be worth looking at C W Newman some more.

Hopefully heading to see the LUET Staff Records in a few weeks so hopefully I'll get some answers there.

I'm think maybe do a year range of 1911-1919?

Hi Dan,

Here is some additional info on Cherney - http://www.corpsofmilitarypolice.org/soldier/11987/ Although he transferred to the Corps on 25th October 1916 from the ASC and was given the new No P6595, the entry from the Corps Order Book relating to this is dated 31st January 1917 

Cheers RichardP6595.jpg.3ff0b1e01e9a1bcda0abebfb982f234b.jpg