Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

DanMorris1989

J. Ensome - real detective work needed

DanMorris1989

Hi all,

Putting together an accurate roll of honour to do with the place I work in ... it already has a memorial roll of honour on the wall but I have in my research found it to be full of inaccuracies.

One name that stands out that I've had no joy in tracking whatsoever is

J. ENSOME

Does anyone have any suggestions or ideas of other possible names linked with a casualty that would fit a possible spelling error of this name.

Looking in the Teddington, Twickenham, Hounslow, Hampton and Kingston area of West/South-West London.

Many thanks 

Dan 

PS - No error from me in my part of reading it ... it's definitely saying J. Ensome 

2018-08-09 21.47.53.jpg

Edited by DanMorris1989

Alisonmallen62

There are Ensoms no 'e' on ancestry and is the initial J or T?  Are you able to post a fuller picture of the memorial please?  There is a 2nd ww Ensom also. 

DanMorris1989

I'm looking at J if I'm honest ... others with the J initial are of the same style as this J.

I know I've trawled archives left right and centre including ancestry etc and have come to a dead end with this name.

I'm at a total loss with it ... 

DanMorris1989

2018-08-09 23.36.25.jpg

johnboy

What is/was the name of the company and what did they do?

DanMorris1989

London United Tramways at Fulwell ...a majority of these chaps seem to be Drivers & Conductors 

johnboy

'll try 1911 census.

DanMorris1989
2 minutes ago, johnboy said:

'll try 1911 census.

Cheers pal 

Like I say there's a lot of mistakes on the memorial which I'm endeavouring to correct accurately ... for instance J Pollard is actually G Pollard ... G Wooton is G Wotton ... W Lucie is actually J Lucie ... the list goes on and on 

Alisonmallen62

Oh dear quite a job!

DanMorris1989
1 minute ago, Alisonmallen62 said:

Oh dear quite a job!

Tell me about it ... I've noticed it over the years and thought I must sit and research these boys one day so started delving a few weeks ago in light of maybe getting an updated memorial installed but want it to be 100% or as close to accurate as possible ... 22 I've found but 7 are proving hard to trace.

The memorial was put together post-ww2 so the information given to the memorials maker may have been illegible or written down wrong.

I suppose they didn't anticipate a nosey 28 year old to be interested in it all these years later.

I hope I can get to the bottom of all these names and give them an identity ... they deserve to be remembered which unfortunately is waining and lacking in the younger generation and community these days 

God damn heroes all of them 

voltaire60

2 suggestions:

1) A call to the London Transport Museum

2) A call to the National Tramway Museum, in Matlock. There is a surviving staff record book for a few years before 1907- a longshot, your man may be named in in it

johnboy

nothing obvious in 1911 census

Alisonmallen62

I thought about accents (my attempt at a London sounding one) when names were being given and looked up Handsome, Elsom, but ref the tramway museum in Crich has all sorts.  At this moment in time I am not positive we are taking our granddaughters there in a fortnight, if you don't get in contact perhaps I can ask on your behalf but they are really helpful.  We don't live too far away from it.  If the memorial was done post ww2 is it possible that J Ensome wasn't a first war soldier but second?

voltaire60

In addition, a rant. Be prepared.  My local Roll in north-east London is complicated (as it has been for the neighbouring one for Woodford) by a church memorial board, in best gothic lettering (Holy Trinity, Hermon Hill), which was obviously engraved by a  woodcarver who was either a hopeless drunk or dyslexic or both. Likely errors, such as yours, are a pain in the fundament.

Now-having a look at likely misspellings, then to my jaundiced eye, then "Ransom(e)" seems worth a shot-   There is one man who may possibly fit for "name" and  likely regiment:

image.png.bc1d2b47fcf1cfd17805aa3facedc9cd.png

Just a stray thought......

Alisonmallen62

Possibly and I checked Emerson also Hempson, 

IPT

Would the tramway workers have been in a union?

PRC

Not a solution but at least some detective style leg work for you.

There are no Ensome's at all recorded in the General Registrars Office Index of Births for England. With a working assumption that he was unlikely to have been born before 1870, the matching J. Ensom's in the birth records, (plus an attempt to whittle it down by looking for death records):-

Q1 1874 John George........Mile End District

Q4 1876 John George.........Brentford District .........probably died Q3 1877 same District, aged under 1

Q4 1884 John Vernon..........Kensington District

Q3 1891 John Edward.........Kingston District..........a John E Ensom died in the Islington District aged 64, Q1 1955. (Probate Calendar confirms he was a John Edward)

There is then a gap until 1918.

Of course "your" J. Ensom could have come from anywhere else in the world. The 1891 Kingston born individual would have been a nice match and can't entirely be ruled out as the Islington deceased man could also have been born elsewhere. One other thing to throw in the mix in relation to the above. I could find John Vernon on the 1901 census, born Kensington, but now living in Reading. Aged 16 he was already working as an Engine Cleaner. His father Venon, (aged 40, born Gravesend, Kent), was then working as a Tranway Driver, - could he have got a job for his son? There is a marriage of a John Vernon in the Hendon District in Q3 of 1908 - but neither he, his parents, his sister Dorothy,(aged 8 and born Reading on the 1901 census) or either of the two woman he potentially married in 1908 appear to be on the 1911 census of England and Wales nor can I find them in the emmigration records outbound from the UK.

As a second line of enquiry I then tried keyword searches like "bus" "conductor" "driver" "tram" plus either "Fulwell" or "Teddington" on the 1911 census. One potential did stamd out - a 37 year old Charles Joseph Linton, (my genealogy source transcribed his surname as Lenton) - who was a Tram Conductor and the married head of the household at 70, Stanley Gardens Road, Teddington. He was born Aldershot, Hampshire and his wife of 12 years is Emily Mary, (aged 40, born Sandy, Bedfordshire). The couple have just the one child, the 11 year old Wilfred, born North Kensington. There appear to be at least three Charles Linton's on the CWGC database, but no way to prove \ disprove any of them are the same individual based on the CWGC information.

Finally, given the gothic style lettering, I'm assuming that the only Ensom on the CWGC database for the Great War, Charles Frank Ensom can't entirely be ruled out.

https://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/1580548/ensom,-charles-frank/

Most likely match on the 1911 census is a 17 year old Frank Enson, a Bakers Assistant born Lewisham who was than boarding at Brockley.

Hope some of that helps,

Peter

DavidOwen

Going a little further from the previous surnames there is an Ernest Edwin James ENSOR DoD 21/09/1918 47666 L/Cpl 10th Bn Essex Regiment husband of Clara Agnes Ensor of 34 Lewisham High Road, London - might someone run him through the 1911 Census please?

Son of William Piercy Ensor and Emily Ensor of Finsbury.

ss002d6252
5 minutes ago, DavidOwen said:

Going a little further from the previous surnames there is an Ernest Edwin James ENSOR DoD 21/09/1918 47666 L/Cpl 10th Bn Essex Regiment husband of Clara Agnes Ensor of 34 Lewisham High Road, London - might someone run him through the 1911 Census please?

Son of William Piercy Ensor and Emily Ensor of Finsbury.

19 year old showroom clerk. Living at 8 St Pauls Road with his parents William and Emily.

Craig

Edited by ss002d6252

DavidOwen
Just now, ss002d6252 said:

18 year old showroom clerk. Living at 8 St Pauls Road with his parents William and Emily.

Craig

Thanks Craig, was a very long shot anyway!

David

Skipman

Might be worth searching the name Fensome (or variations)?

Mike

DanMorris1989
1 hour ago, Skipman said:

Mike

Mike, 

Didn't even think of that spelling ... I haven't anything definite BUT there is a George Fensome from Bedfordshire on the 1911 Census who appears to be an 'inmate' at Feltham Borstal born in 1890.

This could be a possible match.

"Formerly a Tramp" but who knows could have joined the Tramways as Feltham isn't far away after release as  General Hand or similar.???

DavidOwen
1 hour ago, Skipman said:

Mike

Quite s few "Fensom" (no e) on the list generated by a CWGC search for *enso* (and plenty of others which are in no way candidates!)

Skipman

A very long shot Ensum

Mike