Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The Penmaenmawr Quarry Boys

Maricourt

Er Cof/In Memory of the Penmaenmawr Quarry Boys and the men of the 53rd [Welsh] Division who landed at "C" Beach, Suvla Bay, Gallipoli on the 9th August, 1915 and went into battle the following day.  They worked together and fought together with many unable to return to their beautiful, mountain home.  The blackest day of the war for the families of North Wales.2108302513_HeatherAugust2017.thumb.JPG.19780217defe4ade2fc31d204c09ef2f.JPG

On the 100th anniversary of the Suvla Landings a small piece of granite from the quarry was left at Lala Baba CWG Cemetery.  They are not forgotten, nor are all whose names are recorded on our town war memorial who did not come home from the Great War.

147502797_AG-17thSeptember-LalaBaba-PieceofPenQuarryMemorial3.jpg.9934ed7cd7282cf75a1e2c90e3716f00.jpg

Maricourt

Hello Dai Bach,

Taken just above the Sychnant Pass on the uplands too not far from the quarry where the PQB's worked.  The heather is magnificent at this time of year.  The second photo was a piece of granite from the quarry that I took to Gallipoli that I left at Lala Baba Cemetery in 2015.

Hwyl … Maricourt

A fitting tribute and a beautiful picture Maricourt. The area has fond childhood memories for me and I don't have to go to far to see those mountains. I'll think of the boys when I look across the bay.

Pete.

Thanks, Pete - much appreciated that the Boys will be remembered.

Maricourt