Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Uniform/Regiment Identification

Brandon Malone

These are pictures of my great grandfather, Walter Taylor.  I don't know much about him other than that he lived in the North East of Scotland.

If anyone recognises the uniform that he's wearing, I'd be very interested to know.

Thanks

Walter Taylor 2.jpg

Walter Taylor.jpg

23 minutes ago, dismorr59 said:

How about the Scottish Horse Yeomanry.

Agree, Scottish Horse.  Collar badges are consistent, and the Balmoral seen in the second photo is of the pattern worn by the Scottish Horse.  The 1st and 2nd Regiments Scottish Horse became the 13rh Battalion Black Watch and the 3rd Regiment became part of the Lovat's Scouts Battalion of the Cameron Highlanders.

...and the jackets have the special Scottish Horse cuff.

Thanks everyone.  That's very helpful. 

I have found a couple of documents on ancestry.  One is for a Walter Taylor in the Scottish Horse.  There are many Walter Taylors, but this looks like the only match for the Scottish Horse.

The second is for a Walter Alexander Taylor.  It is an attestation for the Canadian Over-seas Expeditionary Force in 1914.  The card refers to previous service in the Black Watch.  He has signed up in Toronto, although I know that this person moved back to Scotland and lived his life there.

I think the Scottish Horse became part of the Black Watch, but not by 1914.  I am assuming that Walter Alexander Taylor is not the same person as Walter Taylor in the Scottish, and not the person in the photographs.  Any thoughts on that?

Does anyone know how I can find out more about Walter Taylor in the Scottish Horse since I now have his Regimental number(s).

Any tips gratefully received.

Thanks

Walter Taylor Scottish Horse.jpg

Walter Alexander Taylor - attestation.jpg

9 hours ago, Brandon Malone said:

I think the Scottish Horse became part of the Black Watch, but not by 1914.

Specifically, it was 15th October 1916 while in Egypt just before embarking for Salonika. 

OK.  That rules out Walter Alexander Taylor then.  

I see that it says theatre of war first served in "2B Balkans"  I believe that's Gallipoli.

• 4 weeks later...