Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

52 Co MT ASC, Aldershot

Chef_Hendrix

Good afternoon everyone,

I have been researching a GG Uncle of mine, David Richardson Renner who I know served with the ASC at Aldershot during the War. He never went overseas so there is not a great deal of info out there but I recently came across his name in an absent voters list with the following info M/334701 Pte. 52 Co. M.T A.S.C.

I have had a good look but can't find a great deal of info about 52 Coy. MT ASC other than it was a Regular army. Home depot. Used as depot and discharge centre. Based at Aldershot.

I am not expecting to find out anything else about David but wondered if anyone could point me in the right direction to any resources available on his ASC MT Company?

Thank you

Gaz

* just came across a mention in the NA of a photo held by the RLC Museum but they say they are in the process of digitising thousands of photographs so may be a while!

Edited by Chef_Hendrix

Hi Gaz,
I had a quick look at service records for near numbers last night but ran out of time before finding any (Ancestry had free access to Military records for a few days which has now run out). I believe the your GG Uncle's number was probably allocated in December 1915 and as such he probably attested under the Derby Scheme in December 1915. If you look on 'The Long Long Trail' website (see link at the top of the page) there is an explanation of how the Derby Scheme worked and based on you GG Uncle's age, marital status and occupation you can probably work out the month in which he was called up. The nearest numbers I have in my list are for a Private Henry Brand M/335698 attested 10th December 1915 and Private James Whittle M/321894 also attested 10th December 1915 both under the Derby scheme so you can see his number falls between these.

With regard to 52 MT Coy I would recommend you tget a copy of Michael Young's book 'Army Service Corps 1902 1918' they may have a copy in your local library. 52 MT Coy are specifically mentioned on several pages and the book will give you an understanding of ASC activity at Aldershot. 

Thank you for the info I shall certainly look out for that book. I also came across Postcards of The Army Service Corp by the same author, have you  seen that?

So looking at the Derby scheme at the link you gave me I surmise he would have been in Group 4 and then was mobilised by the end of Jan 16.

He was one of 4 Brothers, with only 3 old enough to join up. The Eldest I know attested in Feb 16 from a newspaper cutting, but don't think he was called up. This may be because they were a farming family and with my GG Uncle and G Grandad joining up he may have been granted some sort of exemption.

My G Grandad. according to his MIC and SWB roll joined on the 21st Aug 1915.

So with what you have told me about his service number they all must have joined up/attested within 6 months or so of each other. with the eldest not having to leave the farm. 

Thanks

Gaz

Edited by Chef_Hendrix