Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Handwritten Dates

Nick Rogers

There seem to be a number of different conventions current at the time of WW1 on various documents, probably due to constraints of document column size etc.

One example I'm interested in is on the WW1 UK Army Register of Soldiers' Effects where I presume it is either a range or date of injury then death and was written as:

---

25-08-18

See attached, any ideas?1956015312_WW1UKArmyRegisterofSoldiersEffectsAJChristmas_sm.jpg.8ac7f99f0f31bb5967e2d28fba4901fe.jpg

I think it is a range of dates of death. I see that CWGC give 25 August 1918.

RM

Just 22-25 August - 22nd potentially the last time the roll was called, and not again until 25 August, so he is presumed to have died at some piot between those dates.

• Admin

Welcome to the forum Nick. 

As others have posted above. He may have been originally posted as missing in action then declared or found to be dead. There are many threads that discuss actual / true dates of death as sadly the chaotic nature of the conflict readily interfered with the record keeping.

Good luck with your research.

Thanks all for your quick responses, so it must be a range - I already had the 25th as his official date of death.

Looking in the war diary for B Coy Lincs 8 Btn for 20-31th Aug'18 it was a bit hectic and so daily numbers weren't recorded.

I was trying to pin it down to to a particular date to point to a particular bit of action in 2nd Battle of the Somme.

Edited by Nick Rogers