Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2 Aeroplane Supply Depot location late 1918?

Errol Martyn

There seem to be conflicting locations suggested for 2 ASD for the latter half of 1918 - Hesdin and St Andre-aux-Bois. Was one the HQ and the other the aerodrome, perhaps, or were there aerodromes at both? To which would a pilot from England be posted to on arrival in France in November 1918?

Cheers,

Errol

9 hours ago, Errol Martyn said:

There seem to be conflicting locations suggested for 2 ASD for the latter half of 1918 - Hesdin and St Andre-aux-Bois. Was one the HQ and the other the aerodrome, perhaps, or were there aerodromes at both? To which would a pilot from England be posted to on arrival in France in November 1918?

Cheers,

Errol

Hi

Which sources have the conflicting locations?  Peter Dye has (page 179):

"No.2 ASD Fienvillers:  Formed November 1917.  During the German March 1918 Offensive, the repair park was relocated to Verton (as at 25 March 1918) and the issue section to St. Andre-aux-Bois.  It had moved to Hesdin by 31 May 1918 and Berck-sur-Mer by 8 June."

The Air-Britain publication 'Royal Air Force Flying Training and Support Units' has (page 44):

"Formed 11.17 within No.2 AD at FIENVILLERS (25.3.18 Issue Section to St.Andre-aux-Bois & Repair Section to Verton); by 31.5.18 at HESDIN to at least 22.7.18; (Pilots Pool by 8.6.18 at Berck-sur-Mer to at least 11.18 - also at Wissant 6.18 - 7.18); Fate unknown."

Was the pilot sent to the Pilots Pool rather than other parts of the ASD?  Probably there were 'aerodromes' at all, or at least nearby, the sites

Mike

Edited by MikeMeech

Hello Mike,

Dye has 2 ASD at Berck-sur-Mer by 8 June while RAFTASU has it still at Hesdin until 22 July - can't be at both places 8 June - 22 July?

My man is just recorded as to 2ASD. He was a Dolphin-trained pilot who embarked for France 6 Nov 18, to 2ASD unknown date, then 23 Sqn 22 Nov 18. So probably to Berck-sur-Mer, but 'twoud be nice of the authoritative sources were in agreement on all of the unit's movements!

Cheers,

Errol

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎11‎/‎08‎/‎2018 at 05:48, Errol Martyn said:

Hello Mike,

Dye has 2 ASD at Berck-sur-Mer by 8 June while RAFTASU has it still at Hesdin until 22 July - can't be at both places 8 June - 22 July?

My man is just recorded as to 2ASD. He was a Dolphin-trained pilot who embarked for France 6 Nov 18, to 2ASD unknown date, then 23 Sqn 22 Nov 18. So probably to Berck-sur-Mer, but 'twoud be nice of the authoritative sources were in agreement on all of the unit's movements!

Cheers,

Errol

Hi

The Appendices Volume of Volume 6 'War in the Air' has Appendix XXX, page 144,  ORBAT for 11 November 1918, has No.2 Aeroplane Supply Depot at Berck-sur-Mer.  No.2 Issue Section at Fienvillers, No.2 ASD Pool Pilots Range at Berck-sur-Mer, No.2 ASD Adv. Pool Pilots at Fienvillers.

Appendix XXIV, page 122, ORBAT for 8th August 1918, is less detailed and has No. 2 Aeroplane Supply Depot at Berck-sur-Mer.

Mike

Many thanks Mike. Berck-sur-Mer looks to be most likely my man's destination, then. If he went to the Adv [Advanced?] Pool of Pilots at Fienvillers that would most likely be after reporting to Berck-sur-Mer, I'm assuming.

Cheers,

Errol

• 2 years later...

I am jumping late into this discussion, but have a piece of first-hand material that might help to establish dates of 2ASDP at Berck sur mer. This is from the wonderful https://gregswar.com/2018/05/31/friday-31-may-1918-across-to-france/

The movements of 2nd Lt. C. E. Gregory RFC/RAF in 1918 from his diary:

Friday May 31st. London. Caught the 7.35am from Victoria for Folkestone, arrived about 9.30. Sailed 11.15 on ‘Arundel’ for Boulogne. Arrived about 1pm. Lunch at the Louvre & then by tender to No 2 ASD at Berck Plage. Passed through Étaples, where the hospital had been bombed by Germans.  Good bathing at Berck – did nothing all day. 

This is significant to me as my grandfather was posted to 2ASDP a few weeks earlier and would almost certainly have crossed over with Lt. Gregory. My grandfather was there from 6 May (to hospital in Etaples from 13 May -23 May) to 30 June 1918. Gregory was only in Berck for a couple of days.

Another question for any of you who posted here. Does anyone know where the pilot officers were billetted while in Berck sur mer?