Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

AFC = Army Field Clerk, US Army

rolt968

I have found three  US Army records for [William] Ellington C[hristian] Bruce. Most information comes from his interment record (Golden Gate National Cemetery). (ancestry)

His rank is given as AFC  (Army Field Clerk). Was this actually a rank or appointment?

The branch of service is given as Adjutant General's Department. Is this what it was called when he was serving (1918-1921) or what it was called when he died in 1955 (or both)?

Many thanks.

RM

Edited by rolt968

Hello RM

AFC was not a rank, so I deduce that it was an appointment, possibly equivalent to orderly room sergeant, or one of the several clerks at brigade or higher headquarters. Or to Cpl "Radar" O'Reilly in M*A*S*H!

Adjutant-General's Department has been used by most English-speaking armies for over two centuries, to describe the department which dealt with personnel matters. In very recent years the actual office of AG in the British Army has been dropped but there is still an Adjutant-General's Corps to cover the relevant logistics services.

Ron

The rank on the form is the rank he held while serving in the forces for the period that earned him the right to be buried in a Natl Cemetery. I know of a case where a man was commd as a Capt the in 24 hrs it was cancelled for unknown reasons. He went on to serve as a Sgt. & that is the rank on his stone for his WW1 service.

14 hours ago, Loader said:

The rank on the form is the rank he held while serving in the forces for the period that earned him the right to be buried in a Natl Cemetery. I know of a case where a man was commd as a Capt the in 24 hrs it was cancelled for unknown reasons. He went on to serve as a Sgt. & that is the rank on his stone for his WW1 service.

Thank you very much indeed.

He was still in the army at the time of the 1920 census, if I remember rightly gives "soldier" but no rank.

Can I infer anything else about his service from his right to be buried in a National Cemetery?

He enlisted on 2 February 1918 and was discharged on 7 February 1921 (National Cemetery interment report - ancestry). I have him outward bound on USS Mongolia on 9 February 1919 from Hoboken (passenger list - ancestry).

Is it likely he served overseas somewhere before that?

RM

On ‎07‎/‎08‎/‎2018 at 09:48, Ron Clifton said:

Hello RM

AFC was not a rank, so I deduce that it was an appointment, possibly equivalent to orderly room sergeant, or one of the several clerks at brigade or higher headquarters. Or to Cpl "Radar" O'Reilly in M*A*S*H!

Adjutant-General's Department has been used by most English-speaking armies for over two centuries, to describe the department which dealt with personnel matters. In very recent years the actual office of AG in the British Army has been dropped but there is still an Adjutant-General's Corps to cover the relevant logistics services.

Ron

Thank you Ron 

I somehow picture him more like Radar than a sergeant. he was something in insurance in civilian life.

Edited by rolt968

• 3 years later...

Army Field Clerk was the fore runner to the Army's Warrant Officer Program. The rank structure began in 1896 with Headquarters Clerk and Pay Clerk. In 1916 the titles were changed to Army Field Clerk and Field Clerk, Quartermaster's Corps. Below is the rank insignia. Although not commissioned officers, they wore officers uniforms without the braid, took the the officers commissioning oath. They ranked between 2ndLT and MSGT, but were paid at a rate higher then 2ndLT. Also in 1916 the USMC were authorized 3 Warrant Officer positions, Gunner, Quartermaster Clerk and Pay Clerk. The Navy had 8 Specialties of Warrant Officer in 2 paygrades: Chief Bos'n, Chief Gunner; Chief Machinist, Chief Carpenter, Chief Sailmaker, Chief Pharmacist, and Chief Pay Clerk + Bos'n, Gunner, Machinist, Carpenter, Sailmaker, Pharmacist, Pay Clerk and Mate

image.png