Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

John William Unthank

i am looking for photos of the Grenadier Guards 2nd battlion and researching my Great Grandfather John william Unthank born in 1868 his RN was 15722 however his enlistment records show 15713 this could be a common mistake. He enlisted in Newport in 1912 at the age of 19 it seems due to the great fire his service records have been destroyed. He was from Middlesbrough Cleveland. Any help or direction would be much appreciated.

thanks

Hi Lynnet,

Welcome to the forum.

I believe that the Guards held their own records, and that they were unaffected by the WW2 Arnside Street fire. I understand though that they have recently been transferred to the MoD. Any file would probably have been heavily weeded over the years. Findmypast do have some records relating to the Grenadier Guards, but I didn't see anything obvious relating to John.

image.png.7357ced47a8868928e977ed0dae90a81.png

http://www.grengds.com/static.php?content_id=9

There is a help desk phone number here.

The Grenadier Guards in the Great War of 1914-1918 can be downloaded (in 3 parts) free of charge from here. The Battalion war diary is available to download from the National Archive (2 parts @ £3.50 each) - see here. It is unlikely to mention John by name.

Regards

Chris

3 hours ago, Lynnet said:

researching my Great Grandfather John william Unthank born in 1868 

Born 1868 ?  

Should this not be John William Unthank  born  1892 who served with the Grenadier Guards 

and not his father of the same name born 1868

I am away from my files at the minute  

whilst I may not have any info on John 

I do believe I have some info on his brothers Ralph + George 

Ralph who perished and George who was wounded

Ray

Hi Lynnet,

Welcome to the Forum.

I am looking for photos of the 2nd Battalion Grenadier Guards too.  If you do have any luck please could you let me know?  I have a picture of my 1st cousin (3x removed) in a squad of newly enlisted men in December 1915 (then joined the 2nd Battalion) but would love to see if there are any others.  I have already contacted the Grenadiers archives and they did have my cousins service records and I am about to get in touch with them again to see if I can get some more information about the Grenadiers at Pilckem Ridge. I would definitely recommend getting in touch with them too. 

Heidi

5 hours ago, clk said:

The Grenadier Guards in the Great War of 1914-1918 can be downloaded (in 3 parts) free of charge from here. The Battalion war diary is available to download from the National Archive (2 parts @ £3.50 each) - see here. It is unlikely to mention John by name.

Regards

Chris

The 2nd Bn Grenadier Guards War Diary has also been transcriber by a former member of the this forum M.G now known as Guest  ;)

and is available from amazon HERE  for £2.99

Ray

• 4 weeks later...

Correction he was born in 1892 there are so many name duplication in our family history. I have been able to get some very basic records of his service a copy of his medal index card

Also a copy of war diaries from Aug to Dec 1914 very hard to read due to print quality but getting there thanks Ray I will down load from Amazon for better quality onto kindle.

Ray believe it or not I have managed to get a lot of info on his brother Ralph who was killed at the age of 19yrs haven't got anything on George so would appreciate anything you may have.

Info I have not been able to find is John William Unthank discard details also he was wounded in France but not medically discharged and can't find any medical records? So any suggestions on this would be great.

Heidi keen to hear how you got on with your cousins records from Grenadier Archives have most of the details I have got through Forces war records however they say the rest of his records were destroyed in the fire some conflicting info here so would be interest to know if you were successful.

Lynnet

I have tried to find information on another Guardsman - Pte. 21879 George W Allen. Any advice where to look appreciated.

Barbara