Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help naming these ships?

Jaynio

Hello there...

I'm new here and am trying to look into my grandfather's ship history.  

Harold Sherratt SS121030

I got this list online but I'm finding it very difficult to read.  What I can see so far is:

Vivid II

Cornwall

Vivid II

London ? (Cornwall)

Vivid II

Commersault? (London)

"

"  (Restless)

?

Vivid II

I understand that VIVID II is the name of the Royal Naval Barracks  at Devenport, and I think I've found HMS Cornwall online (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Cornwall_(1902)).

Can anyone help me please?

Many thanks,

Jayne x

What Ships.jpg

During his second draft to HMS CORNWALL (which was being sold) he was borne on the books of the old battleship HMS LONDON, now an accommodation ship at Devonport. HMS CORMORANT was the base at Gibraltar. He was borne on her books while serving in the destroyers HMS ROMOLA (I think) and HMS RESTLESS. In the latter ship he transferred to the base at Devonport. on the books of HMS WOOLWICH.

He enlisted for a Special Service (SS) engagement which should have seen him serve five years in the Fleet followed by seven years in the Royal Fleet Reserve (RFR). In the event he was discharged after only three years service as part of the post-WW1 reductions in the RN. He was discharged "Shore on reduction [of the Fleet] with [a] bonus.

Edited by horatio2

12 minutes ago, horatio2 said:

During his second draft to HMS CORNWALL (which was being sold) he was borne on the books of the old battleship HMS LONDON, now an accommodation ship at Devonport. HMS CORMORANT was the base at Gibraltar. He was borne on her books while serving in the destroyers HMS ROMOLA (I think) and HMS RESTLESS. In the latter ship he transferred to the base at Devonport. on the books of HMS WOOLWICH.

He enlisted for a Special Service (SS) engagement which should have seen him serve five years in the Fleet followed by seven years in the Royal Fleet Reserve (RFR). In the event he was discharged after only three years service as part of the post-WW1 reductions in the RN. He was discharged "Shore on reduction [of the Fleet] with [a] bonus.

Hi Horatio2

All I can say is wow, thank you!  I'm amazed that you understood the form and everything on it - that's experience for you :- )

I need to go and look for information on these ships now, so I can show his son, my uncle.  He'll be so pleased with this.

Thanks again

Jayne xxx

Dear Jayne

Also have a look at the following threads here on the Forum.... just on HMS Vivid alone, and there are plenty of others. Typing 'HMS Vivid' on Google brings up a wealth of leads too. 

Andrew