Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Deciphering reference of casualty?

Lincspoacher

I am trying to understand the reference to a man who was evacuated to a CCS in a MGC unit war diary, to me it reads 'unintentionally injured' could this indicate a possible suspicious wounding case?

I haven't seen a similar reference and I understand the company was in training away from the front lines at the time.

Lincspoacher

43112_1485_0-00179 (2).jpg

Unintentionally injured might be anything from someone dropping a heavy box on his foot upward?

Not that it makes any difference, but I think it says "accidentally injured".  As Jane says, it could have been absolutely anything.

Thank you all for your ideas on this! I was hoping that this was a reference to when an ancestor of mine was bayonetted by one of the other men in his unit in an act of rage during training! The place / date seemed to fit though and the bit about it being an 'unintentional injury'?

I have just completed an attempt to check all of the mgc war diaries to find a man listed as accidentally injured - self inflicted and another who was blasted in to a trench to be impaled on a bayonet laying there!

1 hour ago, Lincspoacher said:

an ancestor of mine was bayonetted by one of the other men in his unit

I would have thought that it was exactly how such an incident, whether in a rage or otherwise, would be reported- 'accidentally injured' ie not in action. So it could still be what you are looking for ?

Charlie

as the diaries show it all depended on the officer who wrote them and what they considered significant? there were stories of an investigation in family lore and I expect there were official accident reports especially in cases of casualties away from the front?

were these reports a unit based matter or was there an army department that dealt with them?

Lincspoacher