Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

71st Trench Mortar Battery War Diary

HolymoleyRE

Dear GWF Pals, 

Struggling to find the diary on TNA, can't seem to find it under either 24th Div or 6th, the other TMBs appear to present, but not 71st TMB.  Have found 6th Div TMB but not convinced they would include 71st Bdes TMB...

Ta in advance.

Andy

1 hour ago, GraemeClarke said:

Hi

The LLT says 

71st Brigade transferred to 24th Division in exchange for 17th Brigade on 11 October 1915

So is this it ??????

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C7353286

Please double check before spending your money !!!!!

Regards,

Graeme

Sadly not Graeme...well at my first flick through it on Ancestry doesn't indicate any ref to the 71st, only the light and heavy Divisional TMBs.

Ta anyway!

Andy

The LLT says 

71st Brigade transferred to 24th Division in exchange for 17th Brigade on 11 October 1915

Then LLT is wrong - it was the other way round. If there is a surviving diary, it will be under 6th Divisional TM batteries, in WO95/1598. But it is just possible that all three of the division's light (brigade) TM batteies are combined under 16th Bde TM Battery in WO95/1611. There isn't a separate diary for 71 Bde TM Battery under either division.

Ron

• Admin

Hi

The LLT says 

So if the 17th transferred (out?) which diary is this one? http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C7353313 Same caution as from Graeme, hang on to hard earned cash until sure!

image.png.7b5f5baf666799ba546aff3d0d0260f4.png

I guess this proves Ron's point above!!

Edited by DavidOwen
Ron beat me to the answer!

5 hours ago, HolymoleyRE said:

Dear GWF Pals, 

Struggling to find the diary on TNA, can't seem to find it under either 24th Div or 6th, the other TMBs appear to present, but not 71st TMB.  Have found 6th Div TMB but not convinced they would include 71st Bdes TMB...

Ta in advance.

Andy

I think it may depend on what time/year you are looking for. If before March 1916 then 71 TMB (as you have described it) was neither a brigade nor divisional number. It became Y/35 Medium TMB on re-organisation. That was, obviously, then in 35th Division TMBs.  If you are referring to 71st Light TMB then I think your only hope may be found in WO 95/1619 for the Brigade HQ, depending, again, on what period you are looking for.

Kevin

38 minutes ago, kevinrowlinson said:

I think it may depend on what time/year you are looking for. If before March 1916 then 71 TMB (as you have described it) was neither a brigade nor divisional number. It became Y/35 Medium TMB on re-organisation. That was, obviously, then in 35th Division TMBs.  If you are referring to 71st Light TMB then I think your only hope may be found in WO 95/1619 for the Brigade HQ, depending, again, on what period you are looking for.

Kevin

The period I am after is August 1917 looking for a Leicester's Officer attached to 71st TMB, so having looked at the WD you cite, it is looking my best bet....Ta!

Andy

Coincidentally the item is for sale in Hermitage, an area with RE connections and an area in which Andy has a close interest.