Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Field Artillery SD jacket

Paul61

On 05/08/2018 at 09:51, wmfinch said:

It's a bit clearer in this 1918 photo

Nice photo and I see he wears the 55 Division sign.

3 hours ago, Paul61 said:

I thought maybe he might have been wounded around 1916 and continued his war service in the UK

That would fit with the overseas service chevrons. Or he could have come back earlier and then gone out again later. You cannot be sure.

Charlie

8 hours ago, Paul61 said:

Andrew, looking at the posts again a thought occurred (I do sometimes have them), If the owner of this jacket returned home in 1919 would he not have had two more overseas chevrons on his sleeve? I thought maybe he might have been wounded around 1916 and continued his war service in the UK, could that be a possible scenario?

4 hours ago, charlie962 said:

That would fit with the overseas service chevrons. Or he could have come back earlier and then gone out again later. You cannot be sure.

As Charlie says, it's possible, but there's various scenarios that would work.

As mentioned above, it could nave been someone wounded in 1914 returning to the Front in 1917, or various other scenarios. The point is it's a wartime jacket in a configuration correct for mid-1918 and it looks as if it's always been that way.

Despite being a good thing, I thought this was very expensive, but better to overpay for something genuine than pay the going rate for something interfered with or a downright fake. A subject I'd love to be a lot more specific on but can't here. Let's just say it's nice that among the questionable soft caps, innumerable tank masks, numbered pickelhaube covers, covered Brodies, Feldmutzes and trench clubs there are some genuine untouched 1902 pattern SD jackets about. I think I'm allowed to say that there's a good, totally original MGC Cavalry one on a major dealer's website right now. I've known of it since the mid-80s and No I have no affiiliation with the dealer nor do I know where he got it from.

You're right there Wainfleet which is why I wanted as many opinions as possible on it, I've collected WW1 era badges and dress uniforms for some time but I'm somewhat of a novice when it comes to Service Dress. I am going to display it with some pre WW1 Regular Army dress jackets, the contrast should look quite striking. Sods law though, if I'd waited, the MGC/C jacket is more the condition I was looking for, you live and learn I guess.

On 03/08/2018 at 22:53, Dragoon said:

GS buttons.

I thought the red overseas Chevron went on top, and I think the cloth Sergeant gun badge didn't come out til the 1930's?? I'll stand corrected on that if I'm not right.

Also, if this is a jacket worn by a soldier post WW1, surely he would have had his War and Victory medals up as well.

Don't know, seems like there has been a few add ons to this jacket, just my thoughts.

Chris

The gun badge for RA sergeants was adopted during the period of the Crimean War, Chris, with all SNCO badges incorporating it by 1856.  As with the RE, the rank of Sergeant RA for a lengthy period wore a crown above 3-stripes as well. RA Staff Sergeants of all appointments had 4-stripes .  It wasn’t until 1881 that the configuration that we are familiar with now was introduced, and that same year the bomb/grenade equivalent badge for Sergeants of the RE was introduced.

References:  Dress of the RA,

1.  MacDonald

2.  Campbell.

Edited by FROGSMILE