Jump to content
Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Sign in to follow this  
KGB

BBC 100 days

Recommended Posts

KGB

I caught a glimpse of some news presenter doing a piece on the last 100 days. Began well, then went a bit "feminist contribution to the war" and finally "ethnic minorities". Are we seeing the narrative being rewritten for a P.C age? The Home Front could be mentioned but I note that Whitehall wanted Passchendaele to be more "inclusive", with Nigerian and Somalian communities. Thing is, they played no major role. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
seaJane

Is "no major" role a reason to leave them out?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Liz in Eastbourne

They had nothing to do with the war on the Western Front as far as I know - the Nigeria Regiment fought in the Cameroons and East Africa but were never in Europe in WW1, again as far as I know. If it's really being suggested they should be included in the story of Passchendaele I'd agree that's daft.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
sassenach

What exactly is being referred to here? The Passchendaele commemoration has been and gone, of course. What is the evidence that "Whitehall wanted etc?"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
KGB
23 hours ago, seaJane said:

Is "no major" role a reason to leave them out?

I take your point, I partly agree. 1914-18 was about the sacrifice in the trenches. If the BBC wish to make a special programme on women's or ethnic war contributions fine. But not to over ride what was the focal point.

3 hours ago, Liz in Eastbourne said:

They had nothing to do with the war on the Western Front as far as I know - the Nigeria Regiment fought in the Cameroons and East Africa but were never in Europe in WW1, again as far as I know. If it's really being suggested they should be included in the story of Passchendaele I'd agree that's daft.  

The Passchendaele angle was far more to do with social engineering and very Orwellian. How do we get some communities to feel included? Rewrite history?

3 hours ago, sassenach said:

What exactly is being referred to here? The Passchendaele commemoration has been and gone, of course. What is the evidence that "Whitehall wanted etc?"

I saw it on the internet. It must be true. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Liz in Eastbourne
3 hours ago, KGB said:

I take your point, I partly agree. 1914-18 was about the sacrifice in the trenches. If the BBC wish to make a special programme on women's or ethnic war contributions fine. But not to over ride what was the focal point.

The Passchendaele angle was far more to do with social engineering and very Orwellian. How do we get some communities to feel included? Rewrite history?

I saw it on the internet. It must be true. 

 

I find it hard to believe, so do find it again for us.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...