Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Martin Grew Southwell 2/7 Worcester Regiment

reaylor

I have recently been given a copy of all the letters that Martin Grew Southwell of 2/7 Worcesters sent to his Mother from the front. Can anyone help me fill in the gaps concerning this gentleman. I also have original letters from Evelyn Herbert Lightfoot sent to his family. I know he was killed in the war. I have quite a lot of information concerning him but not of his cousin. Hoping you can help John

Born 4/3/1894 Streatham,London

1901 in Streatham with his family

1911 Boarder at Brighton College School for Youths - independent school that still exists

Cannot find any medal details for him yet. Officers had to apply and perhaps he didn't

commissioned from being a cadet: 2nd Lt in the Worcesters w.e.f. 23/11/16

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/29852/supplement/11950 (bottom right)

Officer file is at the national archives:

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C734339

Checked my copy of the Stacke Worcester Regimental history. 2 mentions:

His transfer to 2/8th Worcesters on 2/7th disbandment in Feb 1918 - this is mentioned in 2/8th war diary.

A wounding somewhere around Verlaines and Ham near St Quentin on 23/3/1918 - also in the war diary. The War Diary implies it was not sufficient to have him returned to England. 

Promoted Lt w.e.f. 23/5/1918

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/30778/supplement/7867

Resigned Commission 1921

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/32546/page/10117

1939 Living in Beddingtion and Wallington, Surrey - "Insurance Chief Clerk"

Died 31/10/1973. Buried Chiddingly, Sussex

And welcome to the forum!

Edited by Mark1959

On the 1901 census the family were recorded living at 19 Kempshott Road, Streatham. Parents were Sidney M, (aged 42, an Insurance Clerk, born Stoke Newington, London) and Lillie, (aged 36, born Camden Town, London). Sidney and Lillie also have a 2 month old son, Freeman G, born Streatham. Completing the household are Sidneys’ widowed father, his unmarried sister in law and two live in servants.

Martins’ whereabouts on the 1911 census has already been covered. His parents were still living at the same Streatham address. Father “Sydney” Martin Southwell, (52), now states he is a Cashier with the Phoenix Assurance Company. He and Lillie, (45), have been married 17 years and have had 2 children, both then still alive. Sydney has two sister-in laws living with him and the household requires two live in servants.

The Electoral Registers for London for this period are available on the Family Search site. I thought at first that father “Sidney” had moved by the time of the 1912 edition, but it just seems that 19 Kempshott Road had moved from the borough of Wandsworth to the borough of Putney.

“Sydney” M Southwell would die in 1941 – his death was registered in Q1 in the Wandsworth District. There is an entry for him on the 1941 Probate Calendar as a Sydney Martin Southwell who died on the 16th January 1941. His home address was 39 Kempsholt Road, Streatham – I wonder if there is some typo’s in there. Probate was granted to Lillie Southwell, widow.

https://probatesearch.service.gov.uk/Calendar#calendar

It doesn’t look like a Martin G Southwell married in England and Wales until Q2 of 1925  - marriage was to a Winifred B Hawes in the Croydon District of Surrey.

So you’re probably thinking that’s nice to know but what’s the relevance.

Given the nature of his Army Career I would suspect he got a regular mention in the local papers. Given what’s known of his parents addresses, it would seem almost certain it’s the ones covering Streatham, Putney and Wandsworth that you’d be interested in. If you’re not local to the area then you probably need an online resource – most genealogy sites have newspaper archive access as part of a premium subscription or a bolt on extra cost package. Alternatively you could subscribe directly to the British Newspaper Archive – however, if you have membership of your local public library, (assuming you’re in the UK), then free unlimited access to the British Newspaper Archive will be available on site. It’s not the easiest to use and the software is far from ideal but probably worth a taster session before you commit your cash.

It might also be worthwhile looking for an obituary for Martin around the time of his death.

Secondly, the Representation of the People Act of 1918 is most famous for giving some women the vote. But it also reduced the male voting age to 21, (18 if you were serving in the forces) and removed all property qualifications. This required a massive overhaul of the electoral registers at a time when many of the newly entitled voters were still absent from their home address serving in the armed forces. This lead to the Absent Voters lists of 1918 and 1919 – see https://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/soldiers/how-to-research-a-soldier/finding-soldiers-through-the-1918-absent-voters-lists/

Apparently the Absent Voter Lists for both Putney and Wandsworth are held at the London Metropolitan Archive.

https://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/things-to-do/london-metropolitan-archives/Pages/search.aspx

Copies will also be held at the British Library.

As Martin probably didn’t marry until 1925, I suspect he will turn up under his fathers’ address with rank and unit shown.

Finally in my experience Insurance Companies tend to be very paternalistic with their staff and love to recruit within families. As father Sidney was working for the Phoenix Assurance Company on the 1911 Census and Martin was an “Insurance Chief Clerk” on the 1939 National Register, I would be quietly confident that Martin at the very least started off with the same company.

The good news is that the records of the Phoenix Assurance Company are now held by the Cambridge University Library, including staff records for the period 1903 – 1984. It’s not shown in the examples of documents held but there could also be the equivalent of staff newsletters, which might mention Martin’s activities in the Great War in the context of his being the son of Sidney, and might also cover weddings and births.https://archiveshub.jisc.ac.uk/search/archives/b8b6bc55-dc07-3137-8c72-77a6acfc4de0

BTW, according to the 1974 Probate Calendar his address at the time he died was 48 Woodcote Avenue, Wallington. By that date the Calendar did not include details of who Probate or Administration was granted to.

https://probatesearch.service.gov.uk/Calendar?surname=Southwell&yearOfDeath=1974&page=1#calendar

Hope that helps,

Peter

Edited by PRC
1) Formatting issues 2) Typo

Thank you Peter this helps a lot. I thought I would give you a couple of lines from one of  his letters. Dated 17th October St Valery talking of the 'Boche'   ...The crowd we are up against were pretty decent. After a stint they used to allow stretcher bearers collect the wounded from No Mans Land. And even on occasions came out of their 'pill box' and pointed out some we had missed. Thanks once again for the info. John

• 2 weeks later...

I have come to this conversation by chance. Martin Grew Southwell was a cousin of my grandmother. Martin was the elder of  two children born to Sidney Martin Southwell and Lillie Grew (daughter of Nathaniel Grew of Kent). Sidney was the youngest son of 4 boys born to Charles Josiah Southwell and Emma Burrows. Family records indicate that Martin was born 4th March 1894, baptised 2nd June 1894 at St Leonard's Bridgnorth, Shropshire (if you are interested why Bridgnorth, I can fill you in another time). He married Winifred B. Hawes (known as Bess)  and died without issue. My grandmother corresponded many years with Martin's brother, Freeman. Evelyn Herbert Lightfoot Southwell was the eldest child and only son of Herbert Burrows Southwell (3rd son of Charles Josiah Southwell). He was born 19/3/1886. Family records indicate that he was killed in action 15/9/1916 France on The Somme. He was baptised at Litchfield Cathedral. His father, Herbert was Canon of Litchfield Cathedral. My grandmother corresponded for many years with Evelyn's sister, Gladys. Beyond this, I don't have much information about this branch of the family. Neither Freeman nor Gladys married. I do know that Martin and Bess lived in Streatham as did Freeman. As already noted, the family were involved with the Phoenix Assurance Company, and the information I have read above seems consistent with the family information. 

Hope this sheds a bit more light.

Shirley

1 hour ago, Shirley said:

I have come to this conversation by chance. Martin Grew Southwell was a cousin of my grandmother. Martin was the elder of  two children born to Sidney Martin Southwell and Lillie Grew (daughter of Nathaniel Grew of Kent). Sidney was the youngest son of 4 boys born to Charles Josiah Southwell and Emma Burrows. Family records indicate that Martin was born 4th March 1894, baptised 2nd June 1894 at St Leonard's Bridgnorth, Shropshire (if you are interested why Bridgnorth, I can fill you in another time). He married Winifred B. Hawes (known as Bess)  and died without issue. My grandmother corresponded many years with Martin's brother, Freeman. Evelyn Herbert Lightfoot Southwell was the eldest child and only son of Herbert Burrows Southwell (3rd son of Charles Josiah Southwell). He was born 19/3/1886. Family records indicate that he was killed in action 15/9/1916 France on The Somme. He was baptised at Litchfield Cathedral. His father, Herbert was Canon of Litchfield Cathedral. My grandmother corresponded for many years with Evelyn's sister, Gladys. Beyond this, I don't have much information about this branch of the family. Neither Freeman nor Gladys married. I do know that Martin and Bess lived in Streatham as did Freeman. As already noted, the family were involved with the Phoenix Assurance Company, and the information I have read above seems consistent with the family information. 

Hope this sheds a bit more light.

Shirley

Thanks Shirley and welcome to the Fourm.

Good to know I wasn't entirely away with the fairies when it comes to working through the paper trail :-)

Hopefully the original poster will pop back in and see your post Just in case they haven't set up e-mail notification for updates, I'll drop them a PM to let them know you've posted,

All the best,

Peter

Hello Shirley, thanks for information. I am particularly interested in Gladys as I have no information on her. You are right that Freeman lived Streatham and is the reason I started on this hunt. A friend of mine cleared the house when I believe Freeman died. Everything was left to the 'Butler' but my friend managed to salvage some stuff , (what the Butler called rubbish.) I would love to speak to you. John from the south coast.

On 15/08/2018 at 03:40, reaylor said:

Thank you John for your reply. I have thought that perhaps the reason you don't have information on Gladys is that she was always known by her middle name, Maude. I also suspected that the letters came to by way of Freeman so I thank you for letting know.  I'd love to share some information but this forum is probably not the right place given the forum rules. Also, letting you know I live in Australia so speaking might be a bit difficult. 

As stated earlier, I came to this forum by chance. And I think it quite coincidental that I have kept this part of my family history in ANZAC biscuit tins.  The Anzac biscuit story (on the back of the tins is as follows): 

Quote: "The Anzac biscuit, as it is known today, was a welcome addition to the basic rations which were issued to our soldiers during the Gallipoli Campaign of 1915. It was the mothers, wives and sweethearts at home who baked these treats for the soldiers overseas, as well as for. sale to raise funds for the war effort". 

Shirley

Hello Peter,

Thank you for all the information you have provided regarding Martin Grew Southwell, and the links to related sources are most appreciated. All very helpful. Your suspicion that there may have been a typo regarding 19 and 39 Kempshott Road is understandable. Going by family letters, however, I believe that they were two separate homes owned by the Southwell family. 

Shirley

13 hours ago, Shirley said:

Thank you John for your reply. I have thought that perhaps the reason you don't have information on Gladys is that she was always known by her middle name, Maude. I also suspected that the letters came to by way of Freeman so I thank you for letting know.  I'd love to share some information but this forum is probably not the right place given the forum rules. Also, letting you know I live in Australia so speaking might be a bit difficult. 

As stated earlier, I came to this forum by chance. And I think it quite coincidental that I have kept this part of my family history in ANZAC biscuit tins.  The Anzac biscuit story (on the back of the tins is as follows): 

Quote: "The Anzac biscuit, as it is known today, was a welcome addition to the basic rations which were issued to our soldiers during the Gallipoli Campaign of 1915. It was the mothers, wives and sweethearts at home who baked these treats for the soldiers overseas, as well as for. sale to raise funds for the war effort". 

Shirley

14 hours ago, Shirley said:

Your suspicion that there may have been a typo regarding 19 and 39 Kempshott Road is understandable. Going by family letters, however, I believe that they were two separate homes owned by the Southwell family.

Happy for all suspicions to be cleared up. From Google Street Views it looks like the lower numbers on Kempshott Road, Streatham have been re-developed but whether that is as a result of WW2 bombing or just urban planner zealotry doesn't appear to be covered on the internet. But 39 is still there - I believe this is it in the attached screen capture.

On a different note, if you two post a few more times you should be able to use the forum private messaging facility rather than put an e-mail address in a public post.

All the best,

Peter

39 Kempshott Road Streatham from Google Street View.png

On 8/17/2018 at 1:13 PM, reaylor said:

Shirley could you tell me your Grandmother's name and about the time she would have written to Freeman. thanks again

Hi Peter, 

Thanks for the info re Kempshott Road. I suspect the reason 19 doesn't exist, although I don't know for sure, is that the houses were bulldozed for development. My understanding is that large sections of streetscapes disappeared in the 1950s/1960s in the south east of London and this was finally intercepted with protests and acknowledgement of the architectural value of the 18th and 19th century buildings. 

Good try at the photo. Google doesn't always provide accurate information. The Southwell houses were 3 stories. 

Again, thanks for all your help. I especially value the links you have given and will follow through with some searching in the near future. 

Shirley

Just to add that number 19 was knocked down for development it was sold by the "Butler" that is why my friend had to clear the houses completely to allow this to happen. My friend prevented many theatre programmes from being burnt and found a small gun in one of the houses. He discovered diaries and embroidered pieces from the 18thc. Plus a sea chest dated 1630 which is now in a museum in Australia. John

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

I'm a bit confused about the houses - Freeman lived at 39. Nice to know that so much was salvaged. My guess is that the diaries and embroidered pieces would have been family items. The theatre programmes would have belonged to Freeman. I understand he was very much into theatre and a self-described balletomane. He knew Anna Pavlova and later,  Margot Fonteyn. Although I didn't ever meet Freeman despite being encouraged to do so, my father informed some years ago that he was a most interesting person  to talk to and that his house was pretty much stuffed with objects relating to the theatre, including a pair of ballet shoes signed by Anna Pavlova. I'm curious as to how is it that a sea chest from the house would be in an Australian museum? Is you friend still in possession of the items he salvaged? Shirley

• 2 weeks later...

Hello

Sorry for confusion, my friend cleared both houses so I am being general when I say he found them in the houses. My friend is writing a book about the family starting with Sarah Ellis in the 18th C and the family's connection with the Baptist Church. He is interested in your family as the story continues to the Southwell family. It ends with Freeman. I cannot disclose too much due to copyright. The book will describe how he  discovered Sarah's diary plus her first coach  journey. This is near completion it will also tell the history of Captain Richard's sea chest. He has been researching the book for twenty years so is a bit touchy on what he releases, as you can imagine. If you have any information you would like to share perhaps we could get in touch. John