Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

3 Heslip brothers killed within 3 months

shancrom

Looking information on 3 brothers KIA, ISAAC 10th RIR, ROBERT 15th RIR  and WILLIAM HESLIP RIF, Sons of James Heslip Murlough Cottage Newcastle County Down, Cant find them on any Memorials in County Down and virtually no mention of them in the local Down Recorder newspaper of the day, the attached photo is from Belfast Telegraph. Seems surprising there is no mention of them, or they don't appear on memorials, any help appreciated.

Heslip brothers.png

Have you got anything Tom, ? @museumtom

I suspect this is two of them - the others may have been transcribed wrongly

From the effects records
Henry Heslip., #13449 11th Inniskillings, presumed dead on 1 July 16. Son of James.
Robert Heslip., #1094 15th R.Irish Rifles, presumed dead on 1 July 16. Widow of Francis.

Craig

Nothing on these lads Craig, sorry. The six Counties not included in the '26 County Casualties of The Great War' are Armagh, Antrim, Fermanagh, Down, Tyrone and Derry/Londonderry.

Cheers.

Tom.

34 minutes ago, ss002d6252 said:

was mistranscribed

you suprise me  !  Well found. It gives a good list of surviving Bros/Sis. Presumably father James died between 1917 and 1920.

I note Robert was 44 when he died. He looks old in the photo. Surviving brother James was even older- would have been 47 in 1916,(using 1911 Census for Belfast-FleetSt)

Charlie

Edit. Cannot find the right William ?

Edited by charlie962

5 minutes ago, charlie962 said:

you suprise me  !  Well found. It gives a good list of surviving Bros/Sis. Presumably father James died between 1917 and 1920.

I note Robert was 44 when he died. He looks old in the photo. Surviving brother James was even older- would have been 47 in 1916,(using 1911 Census for Belfast-FleetSt)

Charlie 

Edit. Cannot find the right William ?

I can't locate a William either.

Craig

15 hours ago, shancrom said:

Looking information on 3 brothers KIA, ISAAC 10th RIR, ROBERT 15th RIR  and WILLIAM HESLIP RIF, Sons of James Heslip Murlough Cottage Newcastle County Down, Cant find them on any Memorials in County Down and virtually no mention of them in the local Down Recorder newspaper of the day, the attached photo is from Belfast Telegraph. Seems surprising there is no mention of them, or they don't appear on memorials, any help appreciated.

Heslip brothers.png

What is the date of the article ? That'll give us an upper date limit.

Craig

There is a hospital admission Jan 1917 for a W Heslip, 6644 R Irish Fus, aged 41 with 18 years service. Age looks about right; Can we trace him further ? Of course he is a survivor at that date.

FMP has a service record 1899 for him but I don't have access.

Edited by charlie962

35 minutes ago, charlie962 said:

There is a hospital admission Jan 1917 for a W Heslip, 6644 R Irish Fus, aged 41 with 18 years service. Age looks about right; Can we trace him further ? Of course he is a survivor at that date.

FMP has a service record 1899 for him but I don't have access.

That man enlisted for 12 years on 14 Aug 1899 at age 18. Only 1 page of service record which stops when he was posted to 1st Bn on 26 Oct 14.

Nothing in the effects under that or that's man's later LC number, #410668.

Craig

Edited by ss002d6252

3 hours ago, ss002d6252 said:

Nothing in the effects

That man survived. Discharged 1919 I think, per Roll  not sure I think I read 14 Star Roll medal despatched date icorrectly as a trf to reserve date.

Note that BWM/VM has him as William James Hislip. 14 Star Roll has him as William Hislop.

On Service Record I'd hoped it gave NoK details ? But if there's only one page we are out of luck.

Edited by charlie962

• Admin

There are some further pages if you search under his LC number.

Discharged 16/03/1919 and he provided an address in Dublin.

There is a page with NoK details …….. a Father James and a Brother Robert, an address in Co Down and a marriage in Dublin

Heslip.JPG

Edited by RussT

That makes him a stronger candidate. I take it that the NoK details were provided at time of enlistment rather than discharge since both robert and, probably, his father James were dead before 1919.

Charlie

Note the Father's address in the clipping is Dundrum, Dublin edit not dublin but near Newcastle, Co Down.

Edited by charlie962

5 minutes ago, RussT said:

So is it possible the article got William mixed up with Henry

Effects record shows Henry's Father was named James

Heslip 2.JPG

I hadn't looked for service records under LC number but by those he can't be ruled out.

I had wondered about whether the names in report may have been mixed up, a common enough cause of confusion.

Craig

Edited by ss002d6252

My Irish geography is not good. here are Newcastle, Dundrum and Loughbrickland, all in Co Down. I'v corrected my prev post.

1161267520_CoDownmap.JPG.cb15f021b8913125811942a82991e46a.JPG

Charlie, it looks like Irelands Memorial Records.

7 minutes ago, museumtom said:

looks like Irelands Memorial Records.

Indeed it was but I was deducing that it is just the same info as SDGW ?

Charlie

8 hours ago, ss002d6252 said:

What is the date of the article ? That'll give us an upper date limit.

Craig

2125955372_PrivateHeslipDeathMarch251916.jpg.56447a0a40efb790bf912ea4bdb578e0.jpg This article appeared in the Down Recorder newspaper March 1916, unfortunately don't have a date for Photo of the 3 brothers, I have a feeling there where 4 brothers Isaac, Robert, Henry and William, the Photo could be incorrectly listing W instead of H.

• Admin

The main article does say "A fourth brother is unofficially reported killed" so perhaps that was actually Henry.

Did you manage to date the article in your original post?

• Admin

This is William Heslip's Militia Attestation (No 2689 6th Bn Royal Irish Rifles), attested 30/12/1888. His Statement of Services form states he joined the Regular Army on 14/08/1899

Heslip W.jpg

Edited by RussT

Dear All,

Brilliant researching!

Just my luck to collect to the notoriously-difficult to research IARO...!

Kindest regards,

Kim.

Reached out to the originator of the original photo and got the following, all  seems to add up.

These are the children of James and Mary (nee McFadden) Heslip - they lived at Desert, Crobane, County Down in 1901 with no offspring in the household (http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Down/Crobane/Desert/1246659/) and at Lawther Road in North Belfast in 1911 with sons Robert and Henry and are listed as Presbyterian (http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Antrim/Duncairn/Lawther_Road/141108/).

The caption to the image appears to be incorrect in that Robert Heslip had a widow residing at Osborne Street in Belfast, not Isaac, and I think the "W" might be a typo for "H". 

Robert Heslip was born on 18th August 1879 at Ouley, Donaghmore, Newry, County Down, making him 35 in August 1914

The only birth registration for a Heslip child with initial "W" and father called James and mother called Mary (nee McFadden) was born on 24th July 1872 at Ouley, Donaghmore, Newry, County Down, making him 42 in August 1914

Henry (Harry) Heslip is recorded on the Roll of Honour for Sinclair Seamen's Presbyterian Church in North Belfast - the RoH entry records his address as 38 Fleet Street in North Belfast - James Heslip (another brother, presumably) was listed as the householder in the 1918 Belfast Street Directory.   Henry Heslip was born on 20th May 1888 at Murlough Upper, Bryansford, Kilkeel, County Down.

The third man in the picture does not look to be in his 40s and look younger that the second man (who would have been in his mid-30s) - I think that the third man in the picture is Henry Heslip (https://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/526741/heslip,-/)

I think the reason the Heslip brothers do not appear on memorials in the Newcastle area is because the family had moved to Belfast - I think James Heslip returned to Dundrum after 1911.