Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Battle of Jutland Centenary Publications

Perth Digger

I'm compiling a list of publications on the Battle of Jutland 1916 that have been published since 2014, to get some idea of how the centenary may (or may not) have added to our knowledge and understanding of the battle and it consequences. I am not including secondary books that have been reprinted since 2014 (unless they have been substantially revised as a second edition), but want to include reprints of older primary source books that previously were unavailable.

So far I have the following:

BOOKS

Nicholas Jellicoe: Jutland: The Unfinished Battle (2016)

John Brooks: The Battle of Jutland (2016)

Innes McCartney: Jutland 1916: The Archeology of a Naval Battlefield (2016)

Angus Konstam: Jutland 1916: Twelve Hours to Win the War (2016)

Jim Crossley: Voices from Jutland: A Centenary Commemoration (2016)

Michael Epkenhans (ed): Jutland: World War I's Greatest Naval Battle (2015)

Quintin Barry: The War in the North Sea (2016)

Gary Staff: Skagerrak: The Battle of Jutland Through German Eyes (2016)

Lawrence Sondhaus: The Great War at Sea: A Naval History of the First World War (2014)

Norman Friedman: Fighting the Great War at Sea: Strategy, tactics and technology (2014)

Mike Farquharson-Roberts: A History of the Royal Navy: World War I (2014)

Richard Osborne: Voices from the Past: The Battle of Jutland (2016)

PRIMARY SOURCE REPRINTS

JET Harper & Sir Reginald Bacon: The Jutland Scandal (2015)

Walter Schliehauf: Jutland: The Naval Staff Appreciation (2016)

Admiral Reinhard Scheer: Germany's High Seas Fleet in the First World War (2014)

H.C. Ferraby: The Grand Fleet: The Royal Navy during the Great War (2018 Kindle edition)

ARTICLES

Nicholas A. Lambert: 'Righting the Scholarship: The Battle-Cruiser in History and Historiography', The Historical Journal 58, no.1 (2015): 275-307

David Kohnen: 'The US Navy Won the Battle of Jutland', Naval War College Review 69, 4 (2016)

Mrs JVS Wickenden: 'The Battle of Jutland and the Royal Naval Medical Service: a brief article 100 years later', Journal of the Royal Navy Medical Service 102, no.2 (2016): 137-139

[Review Essay]; Holger Herwig: 'Jutland: Acrimony to Resolution', Naval War College Review 69, no.4 (2016): 146-151

Innes McCartney: 'The Battle of Jutland's Heritage Under Threat: Commercial salvage on the shipwrecks as observed 2000 to 2016', The Mariner's Mirror 103, no.2 (2017): 196-204

Andrew Lambert: 'Writing the Battle: Jutland in Sir Julian Corbett's Naval Operations', The Mariner's Mirror 103, no.2 (2017): 175-195

Eric Grove: 'The Jutland Paradox: A keynote address', The Mariner's Mirror 103, no.2 (2017): 168-174

BOOK CHAPTERS

Andrew D. Lambert: 'Sir Julian Corbett, Naval History and the Development of Sea Power Theory', in NAM Rodger, J Ross Dancy et alStrategy and the Sea: Essays in Honour of John B. Hattendorf (2016)

I'd be grateful for any suggestions as to publications I have missed.

Thanks

Mike

Edited by Perth Digger
Updating the list

As mentioned in the Medical Services sub-forum:

Edited by seaJane

Have you seen:

Richard Osborne, Voices From The Past: The Battle of Jutland (Frontline Books, 1916)

I don't have a copy, but it is, as the title suggests, a collection of first-hand accounts and contemporary reports.

Malcolm

Many thanks, Jane. It's very interesting. I'll add it to my list.

Mike

Richard

No I hadn't seen it. Many thanks.

Mike

I don't know when it was published off hand, but for those who are interested, "Our Bloody Ships or Our Bloody System?" goes a long way to explaining the otherwise inexplicable losses at Jutland, and quite possibly the loss of H.M.S. Hood in the next war, since the lessons of Jutland were so effectively buried in the interest of preserving certain professional reputations.

Edited by 2ndCMR

Thanks. Nicholas Lambert's article was published in 1998.

Mike

Mike

Another book for your list (Skaggerak being the German name for Jutland):

Gary Staff, Skaggerak: The Battle of Jutland Through German Eyes (Pen & Sword, 2016).

Malcolm (not Richard!)

Sorry Malcolm!

Thanks for the new one. Is it any good, do you know? I have Tarrant's book on Jutland from the German perspective.

Mike

Hi Mike

Gary Staff is one of the few historians writing in English who has done extensive research in German primary sources, so from that point of view the book does add something to knowledge of the battle (although there is a fair bit of overlap with Tarrant).  He is let down a bit by his habit of using too literal translations of German technical terms, and rather more so by some decidedly partisan judgements, but on balance the book has enough original content to merit a place in anything presuming to be a comprehensive Jutland library.

Malcolm

Mike, 

Can you tell me whether (Surgeon Rear Admiral) Mike Farquharson-Roberts's A history of the Royal Navy: World War I is available to purchase; or is it his thesis?

Thanks

sJ

sJ

It's available as hardback, paperback and KIndle on Amazon.au (the only Amazon platform I can order from in Australia).

https://www.amazon.com.au/History-Royal-Navy-World-War/dp/1784536725/ref=sr_1_8_twi_pap_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1533626197&sr=1-8&keywords=farquharson-roberts 

Mike

Mike, thanks: I'll check whether colleague across the harbour has it.

sJ