Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Yorks & Lancs Machine Gun Corps 1915 - 1918

John Blackwell

I am looking for information about Capt. Claude Augustus Green 11721 whilst serving in the above regiment MGC particularly in Salonika . Any other info would be appreciated. 

Thanks 

John Blackwell 

• Admin

Hi John

Are you sure of the details? Officers did not have service numbers (but could be identified by one if Commissioned from the Ranks).

I haven't been able to find an officer's service record or a medal index card using the details you have supplied but that is probably indicative of my searching skills!

Regards

David

17 hours ago, DavidOwen said:

Hi John

Are you sure of the details? Officers did not have service numbers (but could be identified by one if Commissioned from the Ranks).

I haven't been able to find an officer's service record or a medal index card using the details you have supplied but that is probably indicative of my searching skills!

Regards

David

Hi David

Claude was commissioned from the ranks and his York’s & Lancs service number was L/8367. The 11721 number was from his service with the Middlesex Regiment.

i have a deal of information regarding his military service right up to 1925 when he was placed on reserve officers list . I really would like to find out about his time and whereabouts in the MGC in 1915 to 1918.

thanks 

john 

16 hours ago, ForeignGong said:

Hi John

1920 Officers War Service book

France & Belgium 7 Nov 1914 to 31 Oct 1915

Macedonia, Serbia, Bulgaria, European Turkey & Islands of the Aegean Sea 1 Nov 1915 to 21 Dec 1916

London Gazette

His commission  https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/29340/page/10510

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/33116/page/8479

Peter

Hi Peter

thanks for this info I will follow it up .

John 

Hi John,

From the index to long numbers. 65th Regiment of Foot. Post war (admin) number P/11721.

image.png.8b3e083b40821fccf42d9b56a2a055af.png

Image source: The National Archives - file WO 338/8/14

From the index of service files (men born before 1901) held by the MoD. DoB in USA format. Help desk phone number.

image.png.3157d28a60a8cc93a39d5329fcdb9a82.png

From the LLT, it seems that only the 1st Bn Y&L served in Salonika. Unfortunately, their war diary isn't available for download. They were part of 83 Infantry Brigade, so I wonder if the diary you might need is this one.

Regards

Chris

On 02/08/2018 at 12:34, clk said:

Hi John,

From the index to long numbers. 65th Regiment of Foot. Post war (admin) number P/11721.

image.png.8b3e083b40821fccf42d9b56a2a055af.png

Image source: The National Archives - file WO 338/8/14

From the index of service files (men born before 1901) held by the MoD. DoB in USA format. Help desk phone number.

image.png.3157d28a60a8cc93a39d5329fcdb9a82.png

From the LLT, it seems that only the 1st Bn Y&L served in Salonika. Unfortunately, their war diary isn't available for download. They were part of 83 Infantry Brigade, so I wonder if the diary you might need is this one.

Regards

Chris

Thanks. Chris

I will follow that .

john