Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Getting Into Print

Kate Hodson

I wonder if anyone can  help me. For the last five years I have been researching the Old Boys who died in WW1 and attended the School I have worked in for the last 19 years. I researched all the Old Boys as individuals and have also added sections on the memorial chapel etc. I realise this does not necessarily have widespread appeal but wondered if anyone had any experience about getting this sort of thing into print. I'd welcome any advice. 

Thanks

K

If you google "short run printing" there are several companies to compare and choose from.

Self-publishing is an option. How many words does it run to? 

I used Amazon off-shoot Createspace for my book on Neath RFC. It ran to 80,000 words from memory and about 80 images. 200+ pages in the end. I'm happy with it though I did need to explore bits of MS Word that I'd never seen before...to get it into a 'real' book format. 

Bernard

If it is predominately text based then a duplex laser printer, monotone, may do, but if you start adding in pictures/images (and colour!) then it can be cheaper to use a "proper" company.

For my first book I used Publishnation.co.uk.  It cost about £200 pounds for the text and about £2 per image. You just submit your manuscript and they do the rest.

For all my other books I used CreateSpace. This is a "diy" effort You select book size, type it yourself, add your own photos and design your own cover. There is a guide to help you through the process.  This is completely free and your books are sold on Amazon. You can set your own price.    

Dear all, 

Thank you for this. Do you know if create space charges for images and, if so, how this works? Also, did you get your book 'edited' by a professional 'editor'?

Thanks

K

Create space don't charge for photos. I have only used black & white photos so I don't know about colour ones. They also offer a professional service but at a price. Visit their website and have a look around.

Edited by Ron da Valli

With CreateSpace, you provide all the text and images and your formatting (headers, footers, image resolution etc) has to meet their standards. That's the hard bit. Technical, but you can do it with a bit of effort.

CreateSpace doesn't charge you at that point but once you buy copies yourself (to sell on) you have to pay a discounted price. And it does the same if folk order from e.g. Amazon where it can be done as 'print on demand'. No stock is held, each order is printed as it arrives. 

Remember that you need to have the OK to use any images that you don't hold copyright for where copyright still exists.

Bernard