Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Mercantile Marine War Medal

Rusty2727

Hi all,

I'm looking for some help, i've recently come into possession of a Mercantile Medal, which was amongst the possessions of a relative that recently passed away, we thought this

was going to be my own great grandfathers missing Mercantile Medal, but alas, at looking at the rim it's inscribed to a Francis Kennedy. i've spoke to the children of the lady who

had this and no one knows who Francis Kennedy was or how this medal came into her possession.

I would dearly love to reunite this medal with the family of this man as this is were it should be!...i've looked on various websites including (http://1915crewlists.rmg.co.uk) 3 possible men have come up presuming he was a Liverpool man, and the Lady herself was from Liverpool originally and live around that area most of her life.

Should there not be a serial number on the Mercantile Medal? as this is absent.

If anyone can please help me on this quest of returning this medal the to Kennedy family i would be extremely grateful, although i know this is going to be a mammoth task to nail down who he is!

Kindest regards

Russ.

• Admin

Hi Russ

There were 4 such medals awarded to Francis Kennedy (ignoring William Francis) http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/results/r?_fn=Francis&_ln=Kennedy&_pl=&discoveryCustomSearch=true&_cr1=BT+351&_cr2=MT+9&_col=200&_dt=BW&_hb=tna

If you have Ancestry or Find My Past then you may be able to dig up more family information from the dates and places of birth given in the link above (1911 Census?)

You may also want to post the details on this forum as there may be family members looking for it already http://www.britishmedalforum.com/index.php

Good luck with your quest

Regards

David

3 hours ago, Rusty2727 said:

Should there not be a serial number on the Mercantile Medal? as this is absent.

Although MM records have numbers that identify the relevant serviceman, Mercantile Marine medals did not include the number. Neither did the accompanying British War Medal if awarded. They only have a name and are difficult to attribute in the absence of the associated award documentation 

Dave 

Edited by depaor01

Hi David, thank you for the links, I've seen 3 possibilities of Ancestry and 3 on the 1915 crew list site....113399 Francis Kennedy on board the SS Devonian (Fireman) age??  123991 Francis Kennedy on the SS Karnak (Fireman/Trimmer) age 47, and 115244 Francis Kennedy on the SS Moeris (Fireman/Trimmer) age 45

Not sure how im going to track down the correct man, even if it is one of these 3.

Depaor01, thank you for the above info, yes, this is going to be a tricky one to solve!

Thanks for taking the time to leave comments chaps!

The TNA records  five recipients of the  Mercantile Marine Medal named Francis Kennedy.

Francis Kennedy 1882 Liverpool.

Francis Kennedy 1876 Saltcoats, Scotland.

Francis Kennedy 1881 Lismore.

Francis Kennedy 1880 Liverpool

William Francis Kennedy 1889 Ireland.

Bob

Hi Bob...thanks for this info...just seen you're inbox also...I'm just out at the moment and looking at this on my phone, will take a more detailed look when I get home...thanks again Bob..surely has to belong to one of these men just a matter to trying to find a connection between my late aunt.