Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Robert John Talbot's Medical Records

Kate Hodson

I have just found the Service Records for the above and am struggling to decipher all of the dates and certain abbreviations. I wondered if any could tell me what 'GBD' is. I can understand the basic things but would like to be able to know how long each hospital admission lasted. Many thanks. 

talbot service.jpg

I think the full version is:

Officer Commanding 12 Mountain Battery                  Admitted to Hospital                   In the Field     03-05-1918
Officer Commanding Garrison Base Depot                Joined Garrison Base Depot       Kantara          15-06-1918
Officer Commanding 9th Mountain Battery                 From Garrison Base Depot         In the Field     01-07-1918
Officer Commanding 12 Mountain Battery                  Admitted to Hospital                    Palestine       24-10-1918
Officer Commanding 76 Casualty Clearing Station    Reported Dangerously ill              Ludd              03-11-1918
                                                                               (Not Yet Diagnosed - Pneumonia)
Officer Commanding 76 Casualty Clearing Station    Died of 'Broncho Pneumonia'      Palestine       22-11-1918

Note: There was also a RAMC "General Base Depot" at Kantara at this time but I agree with Chris that GBD is more likely "Garrison Base Depot"

Peter