Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Rob Chester

Hello does anybody have a map of the dispositions of the 2nd battalion Queen's Royal West Surrey Regt. at the Battle of Langemark on the 21 October 1914.

I've looked everywhere but can't find one.

Thanks

Rob

Rob,

I have had a look to see if I have anything, and the best I can offer is this map from The Seventh Division 1914-1918 by C.T. Atkinson (Naval & Military Press Reprint). It does not show where the individual companies are, but one does get a general idea. Hope it helps.

Mark

The Seventh Division 1914 - 1918 Map 4_001.jpg

And then I 'fell over' the copy in my files of the 2nd Queen's War Diary from The National Archives, specifically WO-95-1664-1_1. There is no sketch map for 21 October, 1914, but I present the pages from 20 October, which does have a sketch map.

Mark

20_10_14_001.jpg

20_10_14_002.jpg

From my long experience of reasearching and writing about 7th Div at First Ypres I can assure you maps are rare and ar diaries of dubious doubtful accuracy, at least one was written post events because the original was lost in action. I have prepared the best maps that i possibly could from the information day by day In some cases the copy does include positional details - but generally in broad terms. Happy to check out what I have and forward copies of them to you. I have no scanner so send me your address via message. You are welcome to use the information in general terms but not to directly reproduce or copy anything anything I send - I may one day even finish the book! I have reached October 31st, after that any personal accounts are virtually impossible to find because of the extent of casualties amongst officers an men and pretty unhelpfulwar diaries.

regards

David