Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1st Canadian Machine Gun Corps - where were they on 1st Oct. 1918

Kate Hodson

I am currently researching Henry Pratt, No. 475183 of the 1st Canadian Machine Gun Corps.  I know he once had a commission which he resigned because he wanted to get to fight in France and his injured hand was stopping him. I believe his first battle was on 1st October 1918 but I do not know exactly where. He was killed on this day and buried in Sancourt British Cemetery, which, I believe, has a large number of Canadian soldiers all of whom died on 1st Oct. or thereabouts.  I haven't been able to pin point where exactly he was fighting and how he fell. Can anyone help?

Many thanks

K

Hello, they knew about the injured hand when he joined up. his serious head injury was sustained while in the forces. The best I could find from his service record was sergeant.

http://www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/discover/military-heritage/first-world-war/personnel-records/Pages/item.aspx?IdNumber=588697

A quick 70 pages.

Buster

I meant to include that to see the whole file click B7955-S050

Edited by busterfield
More information

Thank you, I hadn't seen this before. I have been told that he spent three years in England doing something with recruitment and wanted so much to fight that he gave up his commission. 

Thank you again,

K

• 10 months later...

Henry died on the 1st October at the battle of the canal du nord. Over 1000 Canadians died that day for 7 kilometres of gained ground. You made a mistake about Henry,s commission, he was never an officer, he gained the rank of sergeant And the reason he was not in the fighting before October 1918 was because of his injuries. He had three fingers and the top of his thumb on his left hand, missing from when he was a child, and while at Moore barracks ( now SiR John Moore barracks) at shornecliffe in Folkestone, kent, he fell from a second floor window and had damage to his skull, suffering from severe headaches, incontinence and nervousness. He should never have been cleared to go into combat but his persistence and coupled with the need for the Canadians 100 day last push, gave him the chance to fight. Sadly, his only time in combat ended in his death on the 1st October as the machine gun corps came under heavy fire on the douai to Cambrai road crossing.