Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The Sherwood Foresters (Nottinghamshire and Derbyshire Regiment)

phiphi

Morning troops. A new search to find the family of the English soldier Horace Horne number 11051 Sherwood Foresters (Nottinghamshire and Derbyshire Regiment) to return the identity disc in his family.

The disc was found near the municipalities of Lestrem and La Gorgue. After a little research in the communal cemetery of La Gorgue, an interesting confirmation on the presence of the 1st battalion in this sector in June 1915.

Lieutenant, BURTON, RICHARD, Died 24/06/1915, Aged 20, 1st Bn. Sherwood Foresters (Notts and Derby Regiment)

Private THRAVES, FRANK, Service Number 11165, Died 20/06/1915, Aged 23, 1st Bn. Sherwood Foresters (Notts and Derby Regiment)

Thanks for your help.

horace horne.jpg

Can't tell you anything about his family, but being numbered as 11051 he was a pre-war Regular. I would put his enlistment date as sometime during 1909. Oh, and I think the BPT in the centre marks him out as a Baptist by faith.

Regards,

Mike

Edited by Medaler

Hi,

I think that in the 1939 Register, he is living in 34, Beaconfield Road, Plymouth.

image.png.b3d1cd93fb6cbe7a97d1435dfde6787c.png

Image source: Ancestry - 1939 Register

Horace Horne married a Blanche Ayres in 1923. I believe George Ayres is probably her brother (1911 census). George Ayres seems to have married a Elsa Helyer in 1931. I suspect that the redacted record is their daughter, Margaret

I didn't see anything obvious for children of Horace and Blanche.

Regards

Chris

1 minute ago, daggers said:

Would the “Y” after n and d signify Yeomanry, rather than regiment?

D

It seems to be just DY for Derbyshire based on the records for Horace.

Craig